Football stuff on TV

Keefaz

Pay per view scrapped

Surprised. Thought they’d just drop the price.

Saw it on the news earlier and they weren't very clear. I think they said it was to be scrapped, but then they elaborated on the headline by saying the "£15 fee had been dropped".  Which could mean the same thing, but it's a weird way of saying it.

Pay per view scrapped

Surprised. Thought they’d just drop the price.

been reported viewing figures have been fairly abysmal for them and I highly doubt Sky/BT were in the slightest bit pleased about the whole thing considering the negative pr they've been getting for something that isn't even their idea. Combine that with lockdown 2 in England and it just makes them look very bad to be trying to fleece more money out of people when theres rather a lot of people going back onto furlough and may lose their job permanently

Have to assume they make more on increased ad revenue than they do on dereased revenue topped up by PPV payments.

well no, the broadcasters would make more with the ad revenue but that doesn't go to the clubs. The premier league cooked this up as they were unhappy about "giving away" the usually untelevised games to sky/bt/amazon.

• 2 weeks later...

Aye I enjoyed it but it was more of a highlight reel.

Could have done with more on scudetto season and WC and less whinging about spaletti not playing him when he was 40.

Didn't realise Roma fans nearly cost them the title with a pitch invasion like  :lol:

• 3 months later...

'Ours' on BT Sport currently, been advertised loads recently. About fans in football with a focus on Football League clubs who've had difficult times. Been interesting so far.

Watched Pelé on Netflix the other day. Thought it was class. The footage of Mexico 70 is just sublime.

I'd also watch a documentary based around him and his old teammates sat eating picanha around the pool. :lol:

Yeah it was great.

He gets a lot of stick for the daft goal total he keeps, but you can understand why. Santos were the best in the world at the time, and the games they played touring Europe could probably not be described as 'friendlies' in the same way we think of them now.

The other thing I learned was Brazilian journos have great interior decor.

:lol:

I particularly liked the ex-pro (his name escapes me) who had a huge self-portrait hanging on the wall behind him.

Yeah it was great.

He gets a lot of stick for the daft goal total he keeps, but you can understand why. Santos were the best in the world at the time, and the games they played touring Europe could probably not be described as 'friendlies' in the same way we think of them now.

More like the rugby or cricket tours of the current age I'd say. Likewise when the Soviet teams used to do it.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone watching the documentary on BBC.

Yes was shite as manager for us , mad how much he protected the old drunken centre half (McGrath) and how much him and his brother didnt get on.

Sad mind though seeing his decline with Alzheimners

Think I posted when he died but his decline, coupled the way he speaks and dresses, reminds me so much of my Granda who suffered the same.  Athough probably for Jack and his family his dementia didn’t get full stage before he died which is something I wouldn’t wish on anyone.

There's just not enough time in the day for Jack Charlton, he's one of those men who you could happily spend hours listening to. Like others have said, it was such a sad loss and especially as he resonates so many of the attributes and mannerisms we associate with our grandparents - certainly those of us from Northumberland and the wider region. 

In all honesty, I don't care that he was our manager for a while and his time here was hardly the most successful. If I had to list a hundred things about him, I doubt it would even cross my mind until I had to start scraping the barrel. 

I only ever, very briefly, met him and I was quite young at the time. I was with my Mam as we were getting petrol at the station in North Seaton along from the White Elephant and he was behind us in the queue, towering over me wearing his green Ireland jumper. I assume he'd either been or was going to visit his own Mam in Newbiggin. I should still have his autograph somewhere or at least I hope I do! 

3 hours ago, number37 said:

There's just not enough time in the day for Jack Charlton, he's one of those men who you could happily spend hours listening to. Like others have said, it was such a sad loss and especially as he resonates so many of the attributes and mannerisms we associate with our grandparents - certainly those of us from Northumberland and the wider region. 

100%. It was a brilliant watch that, albeit sad as owt. The moment he clocked Paul McGrath :aww: