Video Assistant Referees (VAR)

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"There is no legitimate tactical justification for attackers to be in the ‘wall’

Isn’t it so you can peel away and create a little gap? Why are the attacking team being penalised?

Apparently for fouls through pushing the defenders in the wall. I can't remember any instances of such fouls myself but that's what I've heard that the change is for.

"There is no legitimate tactical justification for attackers to be in the ‘wall’

Isn’t it so you can peel away and create a little gap? Why are the attacking team being penalised?

Apparently for fouls through pushing the defenders in the wall. I can't remember any instances of such fouls myself but that's what I've heard that the change is for.

Tedfy Sheringham was a master in the art of pulling the last man in the wall away to create a gap.

Guest alijmitchell

Changing the rules to make life easier for the VAR people. No more ambiguity with handballs, if it hits a hand, and it can be seen on camera it's a handball.

So are we saying that intention doesn't matter at all? I guess there is a good argument for that (since it's extremely hard to judge), but it sets a bit of a precedent that whether you intend to commit any foul or not, all that matters is whether or not a foul was committed. Implications being - diving/gamesmanship, violent conduct, the difference between a yellow and red card challenge, bringing someone down on the break (accidentally or not)...

Be way too many games decided by penalties if we start giving unintentional hand balls too.

Crystal Penalty Fc already win enough matches via penalties than to have a rule change that will give them even more.

Last thing Newcastle want is it to become a penalty league table we’d get relegated every year :lol:

:lol: it can't be any handball is a foul man, you would have attackers deliberately kicking the ball at defenders arms to win a penalty if that's the case.

I think it just applies to attackers and whoever tries to seek an advanage from it.

"Goals will be disallowed if the ball accidentally strikes a player's hand in the build-up."

"A free-kick will also be awarded outside of the penalty box if a player has accidentally created an advantage by handling the ball."

• 3 weeks later...

I take it you're content to extend VAR to every single thing that happens on the pitch? As the article points out, being pro-VAR and not wanting that to happen is preposterous and inherently contradictory because in football, every decision is potentially as big as every other one.

I will never understand how anyone thinks standing around waiting for someone hundreds of miles away to watch a video of where somebody's toenail was adds to the game or experience. As he says, it's very much a personal thing. I already liked football enough before this total nonsense was introduced.

I take it you're content to extend VAR to every single thing that happens on the pitch? As the article points out, being pro-VAR and not wanting that to happen is preposterous and inherently contradictory because in football, every decision is potentially as big as every other one.

Erm no, that's why it's only been brought in for the bigger moments.

I will never understand how anyone thinks standing around waiting for someone hundreds of miles away to watch a video of where somebody's toenail was adds to the game or experience. As he says, it's very much a personal thing. I already liked football enough before this total nonsense was introduced.

We get it, you are prepared to put up with wrong decisions, to me that is just batshit crazy, especially as an NUFC fan.

There are no "bigger moments" in football. A foul not given 2 minutes ago in the centre circle is as big a moment as any if it leads to a goal. Every kick affects every other.

We get it, you are prepared to put up with wrong decisions, to me that is just batshit crazy, especially as an NUFC fan.

I'm lost, did NUFC invent it or something?