On this day...

Tooj

Guest reefatoon

30 years since the Play Off second leg! Madness! Thank God mind as there would have been no King Kev managerial era!

Absolutely distraught after that game. The only highlight I remember was when people were deciding to run on the pitch, remember some bloke just meandering across the pitch holding his sons hand while the match was playing. Proper tickled me.

30 years since the Play Off second leg! Madness! Thank God mind as there would have been no King Kev managerial era!

Absolutely distraught after that game. The only highlight I remember was when people were deciding to run on the pitch, remember some bloke just meandering across the pitch holding his sons hand while the match was playing. Proper tickled me.

Aye, always makes me laugh when the makems make a big thing about the "disgraceful scenes" that night - a couple of dozen knackers ambled onto the pitch and were sent back by a handful of police. There may have been a few of the, shall we say, more robust members of our hooligan fraternity involved, but I don't think anyone got anywhere near the makems.

• 3 weeks later...

SHUDDER!

2014 Jack Colback became the first senior player to move from wear to Tyne (and play a competitive game, before you email in to say 'Lionel Perez') since Paul Bracewell in 1992.  The midfielder joined on a free transfer having allowed his contract on wearside to expire.

2015 Ahead of the expected announcement of Steve McClaren as manager, the departure of coaches John Carver and Steve Stone from SJP was reported.

What an utter imbecile Charnley is FFS

2015 The club confirmed that Steve McClaren was the new Head Coach. In a statement that contained too many painful quotes, this one took pride of place:

"Managing director Lee Charnley said: 'From my first meeting with Steve I knew he was the perfect fit for Newcastle United.'"

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Beckham’s was the Saturday before. Obviously gets the bigger headlines as he was the golden boy coming through and was the first goal from inside his own half in the Premier League. Technically Batty’s is far better imo but won’t get the same reception because it was ‘only’ 40-45 yards and the keeper was backtracking from his own header which makes it looks like a keeper fault.

Guest neesy111

Beckham’s was the Saturday before. Obviously gets the bigger headlines as he was the golden boy coming through and was the first goal from inside his own half in the Premier League. Technically Barry's is far better imo but won’t get the same reception because it was ‘only’ 40-45 yards and the keeper was backtracking from his own header which makes it looks like a keeper fault.

Barry?

993300978.jpg

Looking at the team that day, did we play 4-3-3 with Ginola in the centre, or Asprilla on the wing in a 4-4-2? Front 6 was Batty, Lee, Ginola, Tino, Shearer & Ferdinand. I know late in the season Dalglish went 4-3-3 but with Elliott for Ginola which worked a treat, but what an attack man. :lol:

Looking at the team that day, did we play 4-3-3 with Ginola in the centre, or Asprilla on the wing in a 4-4-2? Front 6 was Batty, Lee, Ginola, Tino, Shearer & Ferdinand. I know late in the season Dalglish went 4-3-3 but with Elliott for Ginola which worked a treat, but what an attack man. :lol:

4-3-1-2 or 4-1-2-1-2 I'd suspect with Tino in the hole a bit like Beardsley would have?

Wimbledon wouldn't have offered much in fairness.

Couldn’t picture Ginola in central-midfield, obviously good enough for it but imagine a defence having Shearer & Ferdinand bullying you, Tino and his tricks causing bother, Ginola running around you for 90 minutes and Lee’s runs into the box? Then if you did get through that having Batty to contend with. :lol:

Guest reefatoon

Think it was just the usual 442. Lee and Batty in the middle, Ginola left Asprilla right with freedom to wander.  (like Beardsley did when we thrashed Man U 5 - 0 )

Think it was just the usual 442. Lee and Batty in the middle, Ginola left Asprilla right with freedom to wander.  (like Beardsley did when we thrashed Man U 5 - 0 )

Officially it was, but basically the entire front 6 were pretty much free to do what they wanted and were more than good enough to carry it off. Only Batty ever stuck to a defined place.

Great to watch then, but would be utterly destroyed by tactics and organisation now. Painful as it is to say our last Benitez team would probably have beaten Keegans...by exploiting a single defensive mistake and having next to no possession/passing etc.

Not to say Benitez was better than Keegan, just 2 different times where styles were completely different