On this day...

Tooj

27 years ago today, one of my favourite ever away games. What a night!

Peacock retweeting as well man. Next couple of years then football lost contact with the fans when Keegan left for me.

Pretty sure you needed a Millwall away ticket stub to get a Grimsby away one.

Bit different from the Anglo-Italian cup game where you could sit down with cod and chips in the away end :lol:

That Robert free kick  :yikes:

I was at that one, what a season. Carnage for that LuaLua goal, his long-awaited first league goal I believe.

Robert was getting a lot of stick before the goal too, he was having one of his lazy shockers, then he does that. Remember being behind the goal seeing it sneak in.

This was also Warren Barton and Rob Lee v us shortly after leaving, Lee crashing heads with Shearer.

That Robert free kick  :yikes:

I was at that one, what a season. Carnage for that LuaLua goal, his long-awaited first league goal I believe.

Robert was getting a lot of stick before the goal too, he was having one of his lazy shockers, then he does that. Remember being behind the goal seeing it sneak in.

This was also Warren Barton and Rob Lee v us shortly after leaving, Lee crashing heads with Shearer.

Robert hit the woodwork another twice that game as well. :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

We only went and won the FA Cup on this day today back in 1955

And Brian Kilcline was born on this day too.

Lucky omens...

Guest reefatoon

His shit career culminated in him playing for Sunderland. He got everything he deserved for that disgusting challenge.

A ginger-haired lad with a Walkman burst out laughing and doubled over clutching his sides. “They’re interviewing a Mackem blubbing his eyes out” he announced to the world. I found myself dancing down Blackett Street, arm in arm with a fat bloke I don’t even know, singing “Geordies, In the Champions’ League”.

As he teetered euphorically towards his bus stop, and I staggered towards Monument Metro, we simultaneously gushed “It just doesn’t get any better than this.” In truth, we both knew that one day we will win the League. In truth, we both knew that one day it WILL be better than this.

But it won’t be by much.

What a read. Hopefully days like this are in the not so distant future.

https://www.nufc.com/html/1996-97html/1997-05-11forest-h.html

A ginger-haired lad with a Walkman burst out laughing and doubled over clutching his sides. “They’re interviewing a Mackem blubbing his eyes out” he announced to the world. I found myself dancing down Blackett Street, arm in arm with a fat bloke I don’t even know, singing “Geordies, In the Champions’ League”.

As he teetered euphorically towards his bus stop, and I staggered towards Monument Metro, we simultaneously gushed “It just doesn’t get any better than this.” In truth, we both knew that one day we will win the League. In truth, we both knew that one day it WILL be better than this.

But it won’t be by much.

Who'd have guessed how shit things would be just months later. :lol:

But it won’t be by much.

That afternoon was just fuckin perfect.

Bloke who sat in front of me used to always bring a little transistor radio to the match and keep all around him up to date with the scores elsewhere (these were pre smartphone days).

Me and my mate usually left the ground pretty sharpish, but after the lap of honour we got talking to radio guy and ended up, just the three of us in a pretty much deserted Gallowgate End, listening to the last seconds of the Coventry game.

When the full time whistle blew and we realised that not only were we in the Champions League, but Boro AND the makems were down, well we went ballistic, running up and down the now empty stand until we got chucked out by some laughing stewards.  ;D

0-4 win at Fulham was a year ago today. Rafa's last game in charge and Perez' and Rondon's last appearance for us. The bullshit that followed in the next 2 months, so predictable yet so avoidable.

That feels like about five years ago!

Cracking weekend that with the boats up and down the Thames in boiling conditions singing "You don't know what you're doing" to the Houses of Parliament  :lol: :lol:

That fat wanker was there that day too - to let Rafa and Rondon walkaway shows you all that you need to know of how much he thought of NUFC as a Football Club!

The few weeks after that game were so optimistic. :lol:

Looked like Rafa was staying, looked like Rondon was signing, we ended the season strongly, we were being taken over the day after Sunderland ballsed up the Play-Off Final. Then it was announced Perez was going, Rafa was leaving and it was all gone.

Carbon copy the year prior, 2 years ago today we absolutely stuffed Chelsea on the last day. Awesome day, glorious weather, got absolutely shitfaced post match. Remember blasting Some Might Say on the way to the game so I now associate that song with that day. Brilliant. Should've been 5 or 6-0.

But rAfA iS bOrInG