Dwight Gayle (now playing for Derby County)

astraguy

How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?  

656 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?

• Delighted
    • Happy
    • Mixed emotions
    • Unhappy
    • The club is a joke

Dont get the excitement over this

I mean I trust Rafa 100% but still.. he's hardly prolific.  15 goals in the last 3 seasons from a CF

Yep, he's shown nothing to suggest he can score the goals that will take us up. I obviously trust Rafa but someone who has a similar record to what we have is hardly going to inspire confidence in me that he can and they can't.

Hope i'm wrong.

Cisse off or will he stay for the final year of his contract? If he goes we will need another forward IMO.

Would be pretty happy with Gayle, Mitrovic, Perez and Armstrong as our forward players tbh.

Really good planning if these are goers man. Signings to get you up that you don't have to jettison the moment you're promoted. Rafa knows.

Dont get the excitement over this

I mean I trust Rafa 100% but still.. he's hardly prolific.  15 goals in the last 3 seasons from a CF

Yep, he's shown nothing to suggest he can score the goals that will take us up. I obviously trust Rafa but someone who has a similar record to what we have is hardly going to inspire confidence in me that he can and they can't.

Hope i'm wrong.

Errrr.  I'm pretty sure he has:

Gayle has a pretty good PL goals/minute ratio iirc.

Correct.  It's the whole Ben Arfa argument again.  On first viewing, his stats weren't all that impressive.  Then you go into more detail and for minutes played, converted to full games, he was probably our best offensive player. 

If you do the same as people did for HBA.  I think Gayle is about 1 in 2, over the last 3 seasons or so.   

NUFC Online ‏@NUFC_Online  · 12m 

Dwight Gayle next through the door at #NUFC

64 goals in 113 starts (Career)

15 goals in 27 starts (Prem)

Love Dwight Gayle, my favourite player in our recent history, but to be honest he did look like a little boy lost sometimes the way we set up!! Not his fault and up front with a centre forward and given more games he'd have scored a lot more.

:pardsbeard:

Good signing this, he'll give us that pace up top that we have been missing. Perez, Mitro and this lad will be the best front line up in the division. Pardew man, what a fucking pudding.

Honestly considering how rare his starts are it's just as deceiving as the stats you are arguing against.

At the end of the day he's scored 15 goals in 3 seasons, hardly anything to suggest he's going to set the place on fire. But we'll see i suppose.

I just don't see the argument that he's going to score loads in the championship, there's no argument to suggest that really.

Honestly considering how rare his starts are it's just as deceiving as the stats you are arguing against.

At the end of the day he's scored 15 goals in 3 seasons, hardly anything to suggest he's going to set the place on fire. But we'll see i suppose.

I just don't see the argument that he's going to score loads in the championship, there's no argument to suggest that really.

I think the way Rafa sets his teams up it should be perfect for a striker of Gayle's sort. He's pretty quick and we'll be looking for him to get behind the defenders using quick passing rather than the ball humped long from the back as he was getting at Palace.

Bellamy probably had very similar stats when he joined. Having genuine pace up front opens up doors for others like it did for Shearer etc

Not arguing that, hell he might be great i just don't see the argument that he's certain to score loads when his record to our current crop is practically the same.

Hope i'm wrong, just think it's a bit misplaced is all.

Bellamy probably had very similar stats when he joined. Having genuine pace up front opens up doors for others like it did for Shearer etc

Bellamy was ridiculously rapid though, I know Gayle is quicker than what we have - but that doesn't take much.

He scored 13 in 29 (I think) playing for Peterborough.  They're not exactly a top class Championship side and that was after him making a big step up from Dagenham & Redbridge.  He's been playing for a God awful, negative Palace team and has been their top scorer the last 3 seasons.  Despite limited opportunities and an absolute shitgibbon of a manager. 

There's clearly an argument to suggest he'll score goals for us.  He's more experienced, he'll be playing in a better side and his stats suggest his goalscoring ratio, is in fact, pretty good.

You would think he would start, seeing as what we're paying for him.  But then again, with Rafa's favoured 4-2-3-1, I'm not sure where he fits in?  So it may be a case of him being used in a rotation, or subbed on if we need a goal.

Judging by his numbers.  I think he'd be suited to a supersub role and have success for us playing like that.  But I'm not sure we'd spend that much for a backup.  Or that he would be keen on coming, if that's the case.

I think it's a good signing, either way.  A guy that scores goals when he gets minutes, is exactly what we needed.  He's never really had much chance of finding form and getting a long run in the team, either.

Without trying to sound arrogant.  I do think people forget how poor this league is.  Harewood got 5 in 15 for us.  Lovenkrands was regularly on the scoresheet.  Routledge looked like a beast. 

He scored 13 in 29 (I think) playing for Peterborough.  They're not exactly a top class Championship side and that was after him making a big step up from Dagenham & Redbridge.  He's been playing for a God awful, negative Palace team and has been their top scorer the last 3 seasons.  Despite limited opportunities and an absolute shitgibbon of a manager. 

There's clearly an argument to suggest he'll score goals for us.  He's more experienced, he'll be playing in a better side and his stats suggest his goalscoring ratio, is in fact, pretty good.

You would think he would start, seeing as what we're paying for him.  But then again, with Rafa's favoured 4-2-3-1, I'm not sure where he fits in?  So it may be a case of him being used in a rotation, or subbed on if we need a goal.

Judging by his numbers.  I think he'd be suited to a supersub role and have success for us playing like that.  But I'm not sure we'd spend that much for a backup.  Or that he would be keen on coming, if that's the case.

I think it's a good signing, either way.  A guy that scores goals when he gets minutes, is exactly what we needed.  He's never really had much chance of finding form and getting a long run in the team, either.

Without trying to sound arrogant.  I do think people forget how poor this league is.  Harewood got 5 in 15 for us.  Lovenkrands was regularly on the scoresheet.  Routledge looked like a beast. 

Got a funny feeling we'll be lining up 4-4-2 for the majority of the season

This...no-one was hugely convinced by Bellamy or wanted him here until they saw how his pace gave Shearer a new lease of life