Matt Ritchie

Fenham Mag

I don't think any player would normally because clubs at this level usually buy players for the Championship.  Instead we seem to be buying players that we know will be good enough if we come back up.  No doubt Ritchie is a Premier League quality player, which is why we're having to pay Premier League wages.

I'm liking these purposeful signings, especially before anyone has been sold. Reminds me of when we signed Bellamy, I was very underwhelmed.. boy was I wrong. Sometimes going forward, all that's needed is that spark which makes things happen.

I would have liked Townsend to stay but he wasn't here long enough to be attached. Good luck to him, I suppose he's going to need it once Pardew get's a hold of him.

I wonder is this Rafa putting the foundations in.. i'm really more interested in who and how he's going to play at the back.

Although he's decent, the world has gone mad when a player of Matt Ritchie's calibre, in the Championship, can command a wage of just under 60k a week.

I think it's showing intent. The message is that we are a prem club, and we fully intend on returning straight back up. We will be looking at these guys as players we intend to continue to use when we hopefully return to the prem, so from that point of view it makes sense.

Also, the reality is that doubling his wages and bringing him in is still cheaper than keeping most of th elot we have and continuing to pay them what we already do.

I think he will turn out to be one of my favourite players. Looked like he had bags of character in the games I watched, and a bit of ability too.

Bournemouth supporting friend who knows his stuff just told me Ritchie was his favourite player. It was good to hear.

Although he's decent, the world has gone mad when a player of Matt Ritchie's calibre, in the Championship, can command a wage of just under 60k a week.

I think it's showing intent. The message is that we are a prem club, and we fully intend on returning straight back up. We will be looking at these guys as players we intend to continue to use when we hopefully return to the prem, so from that point of view it makes sense.

Also, the reality is that doubling his wages and bringing him in is still cheaper than keeping most of th elot we have and continuing to pay them what we already do.

I would imagine this is what Rafa is selling to them. I am not buying you as a Championship player but a Premiership player. Don't know anything about the GK so can't comment but both Ritchie and Gayle have proved they can do it in the Premiership.

Getting the calibre of our signings right is quite tricky, willing to play in the Championship but good enough to be an asset to the squad if we go back up. Ritchie and Gayle absolutely spot on so far. Defenders will be interesting.