Peter Beardsley

biggs

Had loads of respect for this guy ,one of the greatest in a toon shirt imho but for f***s sake .

Newcastle legend Beardsley tells fans to back off Ashley

* Premiership News

PRINT | EMAIL | COMMENT (1)

Newcastle legend Beardsley tells fans to back off Ashley

20.09.08 | tribalfootball.com

Newcastle United legend Peter Beardsley has urged fans to lay-off club owner Mike Ashley.

Ashley put Newcastle up for sale this week when protests revealed the extent of his unpopularity.

But Beardsley, who enjoyed two great spells as a Newcastle player, believes Ashley has been harshly treated.

"He didn't come here to fail and he has put a lot of money into the club, so credit to him," said Beardsley.

"Unfortunately, it hasn't worked out but I'm a little bit disappointed he has to walk away.

"His heart was in the right place. Maybe he didn't always show it in the right way but I think he really cared about Newcastle."

You beat me to it. This is the full article from the Beeb website. Personally, I'm glad to see someone who's prepared to buck the trend. And Peter Beardsley has never struck me as a fool.

Beardsley backs besieged Ashley 

By Matt Slater 

Beardsley says Ashley deserves better from the Newcastle support

Newcastle legend Peter Beardsley has told Geordie fans to lay off under-fire owner Mike Ashley and thank him for reducing the club's debts.

Ashley put Newcastle up for sale this week when protests revealed the extent of his unpopularity.

But Beardsley, who enjoyed two great spells as a Newcastle player, believes Ashley has been harshly treated.

"He didn't come here to fail and he has put a lot of money into the club, so credit to him," said Beardsley.

"Unfortunately, it hasn't worked out but I'm a little bit disappointed he has to walk away.

"His heart was in the right place. Maybe he didn't always show it in the right way but I think he really cared about Newcastle."

A successful businessman in the sportswear sector, Ashley has found sporting success harder to come by.

Ashley might be at the club a while yet - he should be allowed to watch the games

Peter Beardsley

The 45-year-old completed his purchase of the Tyneside outfit in July 2007 and has invested almost £250m of his estimated £1.4bn fortune in the club.

A large chunk of that has gone on reducing Newcastle's previously alarming debts, although he has also made considerable sums available for transfers and wages.

Forced by supporter unrest to sack Sam Allardyce as manager in January, Ashley appeared to have secured some breathing space when he handed the reins to fans' favourite Kevin Keegan.

But results on the pitch did not improve drastically and off-field tensions between the manager and the continental-style structure Ashley put in place around him to handle transfers and scouting led to Keegan's resignation earlier this month.

Fans did not take long in deciding who to blame and Ashley, who was born in Buckinghamshire and lives in Hertfordshire, became a target for growing dissent.

Matters came to head last Saturday when a depressing home defeat to Hull City was almost a sideshow to vociferous protests against Ashley, executive director Dennis Wise and the rest of the board.

The following day, the supporters got their wish when Ashley, who has been a regular at St James' in his replica shirt, issued an emotional press release stating his intention to sell.

606: DEBATE

If he'd have come out with something like this sooner it may never have come to what it has

Mirandinha

"I am not stupid and have listened to the fans," the entrepreneur said.

"I am now a dad who can't take his kids to a football game on a Saturday because I am advised we would be assaulted.

"Therefore, I am no longer prepared to subsidise Newcastle United.

"I am putting the club up for sale. I hope the fans get what they want and the next owner is someone who can lavish the amount of money on the club the fans want."

But Beardsley, who received a Football Foundation award on Thursday for his community work for Newcastle, regrets the manner of Ashley's departure.

"Ashley is trying to do the right thing," said the 47-year-old.

"He's always tried to do the right thing, but it's hard, because Newcastle is Newcastle and unless you're used to that part of the world it does take a bit of getting used to.

Keegan's exit was the final straw for many Newcastle fans

"I feel a sorry for him. But he'll sort it out and hopefully everybody will be happy with the conclusion."

The former England star said he understood why the fans were upset with the situation and praised their support for the club.

"We have a passion that probably isn't equalled anywhere," he said.

"If you look at the lack of success - and that's not Mike's fault - the support is unbelievable. They've been there through thin and thin.

"I don't think the fans are the problem - they care. They used their power and Mike has decided to walk away. But I think that's a shame, I really do."

Any sale of the club, however, is dependant on Ashley finding a buyer, and that might take some time.

With an asking price in excess of £480m, Ashley does not give the impression of a man looking for a quick sale and a trip to Dubai this week interested the British media more than any potential buyer.

"Ashley might be at the club a while yet," admitted Beardsley.

"And if he is he should be allowed to watch the games. It's his club and he has spent a huge amount trying to make us a force, first by clearing debts and then for transfers.

"It might not even be too later for Mike. If he brings success as an owner the fans could still forgive him. Geordies are like that."

Is he currently employed by the club?

Yes, but there were rumors that said he was going to be joining Sunderland youth setup a few weeks back.

Does community work, he may be working in a coaching capacity of some description atm due recent departures.

Sorry, if there's any confusion, it's not my article. It was on the Beeb website. I've made that clear now.

On the other hand, perhaps I really am Peter Beardsley, posting anonymously. Ha ha. It's often been remarked that you never see the two of us in the same place at the same time.

Sorry, if there's any confusion, it's not my article. It was on the Beeb website. I've made that clear now.

On the other hand, perhaps I really am Peter Beardsley, posting anonymously. Ha ha. It's often been remarked that you never see the two of us in the same place at the same time.

Peter Beardsley: Feet like Pele, face like John Merrick.

I not 100% sure what is wrong with him saying that & how he loses your respect.

Sorry but after reading Bobyules full article i cannot respect Beardsley for his comments as they are arse licking in the extreme .

Didnt say you wrote the article Bob but after reading it i cannot agree with his comments .

"And if he is he should be allowed to watch the games. It's his club and he has spent a huge amount trying to make us a force, first by clearing debts and then for transfers.

Well try and support that assumption by selling players and not replacing them mr Beardsley ,i cannot find it in me to agree with him in this article .If he had NUFC at heart and not self preservation maybe he would tell it how it is but imho he is arselicking for his own good and i will stick by that .

Well try and support that assumption by selling players and not replacing them mr Beardsley ,i cannot find it in me to agree with him in this article .If he had NUFC at heart and not self preservation maybe he would tell it how it is but imho he is arselicking for his own good and i will stick by that .

Beardsley has no reason to lick the arse of somebody who might be leaving the club, he could have just kept quiet.

I not 100% sure what is wrong with him saying that & how he loses your respect.

Sorry but after reading Bobyules full article i cannot respect Beardsley for his comments as they are arse licking in the extreme .

Just because he doesn't agree with you and your biased and ignorant completely anti-Ashley agenda, he is deluded?

Can someone edit the title of this thread?