Graham Carr

Guest sicko2ndbest

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/03/13/nufc-can-still-sign-big-names-says-graham-carr-79310-28327766/

Carr has also revealed that United have been in touch with Sven-Goran Eriksson to seek references on striker target Gervinho (below).

He also confirmed Lorient hit man Kevin Gameiro has been watched by United.

“I asked Sven about Gervinho because he had him when he was at the Ivory Coast,” he said.

“Sven said that he will probably cost you a lot of money! He is a good player but probably not an out-and-out striker, so it is up to the manager to decide what kind of player he wants.”

Guest Roger Kint

Well apart from this part of course.

“It is down to the manager and I will just put forward the options to him,”

Am pretty sure that line was spoken by Wise as well tbh. Difference is this bloke doesnt sound like a twat and has done some good work

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/03/13/nufc-can-still-sign-big-names-says-graham-carr-79310-28327766/

NUFC can still sign big names says Graham Carr

Mar 13 2011 by Mark Douglas, Sunday Sun

NEWCASTLE United remain a “big draw” to the cream of Europe’s up and coming players, according to chief scout Graham Carr.

In an exclusive interview with the Sunday Sun, United’s top talent spotter today sets out the lengths that Newcastle are going to in their £35million recruitment drive.

The man who landed Cheick Tiote last summer was in Germany this weekend checking out potential signings as United look to make a significant impact in the market.

And he insists that the club CAN land their top targets – partly because the club remains a big name in their target markets in France, Holland, Belgium and Germany.

“I really think we have a good chance of getting the players that are on our list,” he said.

“Supporters would certainly be surprised at the pulling power of Newcastle United in France and Holland in particular. I would say that outside of the traditional big four we’re probably the biggest draw in those countries.”

Carr has also revealed that United have been in touch with Sven-Goran Eriksson to seek references on striker target Gervinho (below).

He also confirmed Lorient hit man Kevin Gameiro has been watched by United.

“I asked Sven about Gervinho because he had him when he was at the Ivory Coast,” he said.

“Sven said that he will probably cost you a lot of money! He is a good player but probably not an out-and-out striker, so it is up to the manager to decide what kind of player he wants.”

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/03/13/toon-scout-graham-carr-scours-globe-for-talent-79310-28326328/

Toon scout Graham Carr scours globe for talent

Mar 13 2011 by Mark Douglas, Sunday Sun

Newcastle United chief scout Graham Carr believes “exciting times” lie ahead for the club, as he tells MARK DOUGLAS in an exclusive interview

AS you might expect of a man tasked with answering Newcastle United’s burning £35million question, Graham Carr has been busy recently.

Northern France last week, central Germany this. It was Argentina earlier in the season, and it will be Holland, Belgium and France again before British summer time kicks in.

In truth, the life of Newcastle’s chief scout has been a blur of airport check-in desks ever since he took up residence at St James’ Park 18 months ago. The sale of Andy Carroll, though, has sharpened minds ahead of a potentially pivotal summer of transfer business.

A good job, then, that Corbridge-born Carr comes armed with 14 years of experience as a top-flight scout. Knowledge that is being put into good use as Newcastle ponder ways of disposing with that British record transfer fee in the close season.

Carr explains: “When I was at Tottenham I worked under David Pleat and he was full of good football knowledge and little sayings. I remember him saying to me ‘Never waste a flight,’ and that has stuck with me.

“So I go to a country and I’ll watch two or three games if I can. Last weekend I was in Lille, this weekend I’m going over to Germany to watch two games. You have to put that leg work in and get out to games – being passed a DVD of someone just isn’t the same.

“And 90% of the players that agents pitch to you just aren’t up to it.

“So my passport is pretty well thumbed, but I love my job. My dad played for Newcastle United and I’ve always wanted to be here – now I am I’m desperate to help bring some success back to the club because it deserves it.”

You sense that while Carr has done plenty in his 49 years in professional football, this is his biggest assignment yet.

A front-line manager with Northampton and Blackpool, the dad of TV comedian Alan took his first job as a chief scout in the mid-90s and has worked at Tottenham and with Sven-Goran Eriksson at Manchester City before returning to his hometown club.

Granting the Sunday Sun a rare interview, Carr explains in detail how the recruitment process is shaping up. From the man who was the driving force behind clinching a deal for relative unknown Cheick Tiote, it is an interesting insight.

“We are looking at a lot of players. We have teams of players that we’re looking at lined up in 4-4-2 formations because we want to have someone in every position,” he explains.

“I think we need half a dozen players in summer, to be honest. That is a personal opinion, mind, but that is what I’m working towards – having options to put before the manager when the season is over.

“And we won’t just watch a player once. With someone like Cheick, it was the result of four years watching him. I’d first seen him playing for Roda against Arsenal in 2006 – they were hammered 4-0 I think, but you could tell he was going to be a good player. He never stopped running.

“So you keep an eye on him and track his progress, which is where we are with plenty of other players.

“People will all look at Arsene Wenger and say he’s got the French market covered, but we’ve got a good handle on it, believe me. The same is true of other countries too.

“You know you’re not on your own – you know there is competition out there from other English clubs and you have to be realistic – you can’t keep everything you’re doing off the radar.

“A player that I was watching last weekend we’ve been watching for months, yet suddenly there were six scouts there from English clubs, all probably watching the same player.

“The key is to react quickly – that is what will get us our targets. That and the fact that Newcastle United is a big, big draw overseas.”

More of that later. But first Carr reveals exactly what United can expect from recruits this summer.

Most are likely to come from European leagues, but all will be expected to make an instant impact in the Premier League.

He says: “The players that come in will have good pedigree. We will expect them to improve the squad.

“But there are a few other considerations – we want players with a bit of pace who can get about the park. And they have to be the right age and they have to come within the wage structure as well.

“That is quite a few things to look at admittedly, but I really think we have a good chance of getting the players that are on our list.

“Supporters would certainly be surprised at the pulling power of Newcastle United in France and Holland in particular. I would say that outside of the traditional big four we’re probably the biggest draw in those countries.

“That was something that I was always struck by, even when I was working for Spurs and at other clubs. Don’t under-estimate the name value of Newcastle United.

“Playing in front of 52,000 in the Premier League is a real incentive to many. I mean I have been to certain French clubs this season – clubs at the top of the league over there – and they are probably going to be playing in the Champions League next year, yet I could name three or four players who would join Newcastle tomorrow.

“They’ll all know about the way we’ve treated Hatem Ben Arfa. L’Equipe has been covering his recovery in detail and we’ve come across very positively.”

Does that infamous wage structure – debated in such great detail – not constrict the options available to United?

“Not really. The wages we can offer are better than they would be in many other European leagues,” he says.

“In places like Belgium, Holland and France the money isn’t probably quite as good.

“Germany is tougher because they do pay well – and the crowds are big over there as well.

“Of course, agents get involved and that complicates the situation, but if you hand-pick the players and do your research, you generally know the players in our bracket.

“We can’t compete with the resources of a Manchester City, but those clubs aren’t going to necessarily be looking at the same players that we are.

“In the next bracket of clubs, we’re at the top I believe.”

Top of the wish-list is a striker. Carr admits he has watched Lille striker Gervinho and Lorient hot shot Kevin Gamiero but the remit, again, is pretty specific.

“It is down to the manager and I will just put forward the options to him,” he said.

“But I think we’re looking at someone with pace, who can play off the shoulder. Maybe someone who is more of an out-and-out striker.

“We have plenty of options. I like to think we could have brought in somebody in January to replace Andy Carroll with a little bit more time, but it all happened quickly and in the end we couldn’t do it.

“I don’t like January anyway, to be honest. It is the desperation window in my opinion.”

Acting in haste is not something Carr is prone to do. Homework on players is the key and when you’re trying to unearth a rough diamond, that often extends to their backgrounds and home lives too.

On that front you can’t beat good old- fashioned leg work – such as picking up a few whispers from friendly taxi drivers. Instinct comes into it too – not everyone can handle life at United.

“Being a Geordie and having supported Newcastle gives me a bit of an advantage I think,” he said.

“You look at some players who are talented, but you just have to say ‘They’re not a Newcastle United player’.

“I know the crowd can be quick to get on your back at times. You have to have mental strength, you have to play a certain way. I always knew a guy like Tiote would be a big favourite.”

A kitty of near £35million must add to both the excitement and pressure on a Chief Scout with just a few months until the window swings open again in July?

“Yes they are exciting times ahead for the football club,” he said.

“There is added pressure because people know we have money to spend, but we have done our homework and tried to hand-pick players who will suit this club.

“You can’t promise a 100% success rate, but we know what we’re trying to do and the blueprint that we’ve got can bring success to Newcastle.”

Ashley has real passion

MIKE ASHLEY is a “committed and passionate” Newcastle United owner, reckons Graham Carr.

He points to regular meetings with Ashley, managing director Derek Llambias and club secretary Lee Charnley as evidence that scouting and recruitment are near the top of the owner’s agenda.

“The owner and the senior staff are very much interested,” he said.

“I work very closely with Derek Llambias, Lee Charnley as well as the manager and Mike Ashley.

“I have regular meetings with the owner – I have met him on loads of occasions. It is good for me that there is interest in bringing players in.

“I know what the perception is outside of the club but he strikes me as a passionate man who is very committed to Newcastle United.

“They are knowledgeable. It’s amazing how interested they are really.”

Interesting interview. I've been told by knowledgeable posters on this forum that Tiote was a Keegan/Hughton find and Carr had nothing to do with the transfer. Carr clearly thinks otherwise.... 

There are direct quotes from Hughton indicating otherwise.

It all depends on who you wish to believe...

Interesting interview. I've been told by knowledgeable posters on this forum that Tiote was a Keegan/Hughton find and Carr had nothing to do with the transfer. Carr clearly thinks otherwise.... 

there is a good chance both watched him, Carr wasn't involved with Newcastle at the time was he?

His job description is clearly to offer players a springboard to bigger and better things. Luckily for Ashley that should see a short to medium term profit on each decent 'find'

I hope he's worked himself a 'sell-on' bonus an any player he recommends and is purchased.

His job description is clearly to offer players a springboard to bigger and better things. Luckily for Ashley that should see a short to medium term profit on each decent 'find'

I hope he's worked himself a 'sell-on' bonus an any player he recommends and is purchased.

Crumpy Grunt in parody of himself shocker

I'm sure if Tiote gets sold on for a hefty fee then Carr will get a hefty reward.

:lol:

there is a good chance both watched him, Carr wasn't involved with Newcastle at the time was he?

One thing is for certain: Carr's memory of the matter is faulty. This is what he says:

“And we won’t just watch a player once. With someone like Cheick, it was the result of four years watching him. I’d first seen him playing for Roda against Arsenal in 2006 – they were hammered 4-0 I think, but you could tell he was going to be a good player. He never stopped running.

“So you keep an eye on him and track his progress, which is where we are with plenty of other players.

Tiote was not even at Roda in 2006, but was there for the 2007/2008 season on loan from Anderlecht. Roda did not play Arsenal in 2006; in fact the last time they qualified for Europe was 2004.

Tiote played Arsenal with Twente in 2008 in the preliminary rounds of the Champions League that season. Twente lost 2-0 at home and 4-0 away. This must be the match he is referring to, but that match is a good 2 years later than he claims..

Loved that interview and he reveals a lot too. Thinks we need 6 players in the summer and the way we've treated HBA's injury has been received very well in France (where we're still a massive club). Didn't know he's from up here either. And tbh I trust this man to deliver the goods....whether the club screw him over is another matter.

Good-sounding interview, although Unbelievable has shown him up a bit there :lol: To be fair to him, quayside, it's important to note he hasn't claimed to be the driving force behind the Tiote deal. Maybe he was independently aware of him or maybe Keegan knew Carr was a good guy to contact even before he came to the club and that's how we learnt about Tiote, I don't know. I don't think anyone's ever said he had absolutely nothing to do with the Tiote deal though, just disbelieved what Llambias claimed after Hughton was sacked.

Crumpy's last point is a legitimate one, though.

I'd rather think I'd said as I see it. You think Ashley wouldn't sell his own Mother if a profit wasn't to be made? For those happy to renew and buy into Asleys vision should shut the fuck up when any player with talent that should be nurtured by NUFC is then sold. Ashleys made no secret whatsoever that his intention is 'buy cheap / sell for profit'