Michael Owen

KaKa

I have not been convinced by Owen since he joined the club.

7 goals in 10 games says it all really

Not bad.....but 15 goals in about 20 games! Now that would have really turned me on!

You have to give him the benefit of the doubt though, he didn't mean break his foot it was a freak accident

I realise this, but he could have acknowledged the Newcastle fans, instead of going on about how he would be fit in time for the world cup all the time. We were even more disappointed that he would be missing for Newcastle as our season was in absolute disarray at the time. To hear him going on about England at that point in time left a very bitter taste in my mouth.

Not bad.....but 15 goals in about 20 games! Now that would have really turned me on!

You have to give him the benefit of the doubt though, he didn't mean break his foot it was a freak accident

I realise this, but he could have acknowledged the Newcastle fans, instead of going on about how he would be fit in time for the world cup all the time. We were even more disappointed that he would be missing for Newcastle as our season was in absolute disarray at the time. To hear him going on about England at that point in time left a very bitter taste in my mouth.

when asked by a national tabloid journalist about his chances for the world cup,whatshould his answer have been ?...had alan oliver asked him when he'd be back for us he may have answered

Guest JamesD

you do realize that in interviews he is ASKED questions.An interview isnt "Ok, Mr.Owen, please tell us everything on your mind regarding football."  players are asked specific questions, and then they answer. and seeing as how most of these interviews are from the national media, it makes sense(with the england number one in a world cup year), that a lot of these interviews would be focused on the world cup.  Even when owen did work in bits about wanting to be fit for NUFC, people STILL bitched about how he doesnt care about us.

honestly, if i were michael owen, i wouldnt be in love with the club. many players aren't, and it really isnt that big of a deal. Its just the team they are playing for ar the moment. we cant have every single player be like shearer. this doesnt mean he hates/disprespects the club. welcome to professional sports.

when asked by a national tabloid journalist about his chances for the world cup,whatshould his answer have been ?...had alan oliver asked him when he'd be back for us he may have answered

I'm sorry but I saw the interview and he was asked about how his leg was and not about his chances for England!

He was the one that started ranting on about England and never felt the need to acknowledge the Newcastle fans who were staring at the prospect of a strike force of Shola, Chopra and some impostor who looked a hell of a lot like Alan Shearer for the rest of the season.

you do realize that in interviews he is ASKED questions.An interview isnt "Ok, Mr.Owen, please tell us everything on your mind regarding football." players are asked specific questions, and then they answer. and seeing as how most of these interviews are from the national media, it makes sense(with the england number one in a world cup year), that a lot of these interviews would be focused on the world cup. Even when owen did work in bits about wanting to be fit for NUFC, people STILL bitched about how he doesnt care about us.

honestly, if i were michael owen, i wouldnt be in love with the club. many players aren't, and it really isnt that big of a deal. Its just the team they are playing for ar the moment. we cant have every single player be like shearer. this doesnt mean he hates/disprespects the club. welcome to professional sports.

I hear you but I was dissapointed all the same with the way he handled things, but like I said that's just how I feel. I genuinely believed he also held back even though he was ftit enough to feature for us at the end of the season, which believe it or not I would have been fine with, had we not been battling to qualify for Europe! and don't forget we did have a chance to finish 6th too.

I repeat this is simply how I feel and I am venting MY frustrations.

hey kaka you've saw owens performances for england...do you reckon he was ready/fit enough to play for us in april ?

Off the bench yes, as he could have maybe helped us snatch something late in a game.

hey kaka you've saw owens performances for england...do you reckon he was ready/fit enough to play for us in april ?

Off the bench yes, as he could have maybe helped us snatch something late in a game.

some people will say whatever it takes to "win" an argument.

What a load of toss.  Jesus Christ.  Such an inconsiderate soul for wanting to play for his country.  We knew when we signed him, he was coming for the World Cup and a steady amount of games.  It's our fault, as much as anyone's.  He's not the only striker in the world, but we choose to spend £16m on him.  We forced the deal through on these promises.  Time to realise this.

I have a feeling people are gonna start dissing Freddy now lol.

he also had a responsibility to his club and for me he didn't fulfil it

what more could he have done though? retire from international football? burn an england shirt in public? marry St James Park? wear nothing but a Newcastle shirt every single day? play with a broken foot? play while unfit? pull out of the World Cup?

I know many will not want to hear this, but having donned my suit of armour I will now say it anyway......

Michael Owen I'm afraid what goes around comes around.

You were clearly saving yourself for England at the tail end of the season when we could have used your help to get into Europe, but you pretty much had your agenda and unfortunately the club accomodated you on this.

You then show up for training with England supposedly at the fittest Sven has ever seen you before! and you are banging in the goals in training left, right and centre. At this point you are probably thinking to yourself you have got it made and your plan has come together perfectly for you (you are even seen on sky sports proclaiming to have been feeling fit for a good while!)

So lo and behold the tournament starts, but you hit a rough patch and you are in the worst form ever. Your touch, compsure and finishing have evaded you and Crouch (yes the unbelievably ineffective Peter Crouch) is getting more credit than you. At this point you probably begin to wonder if it was such a good idea delaying your comeback for Newcastle, which would have most likely gotten you some match fitness prior to the tournament, but now it is too late!

You get subbed in the first two games and everyone, you included, say it is all down to the tactics and you refuse to take any responsibility for your below par play. The return of Rooney is supposed to be your saving grace as he will finally allow you to play in the way that you are ideally suited to.

So the game for Sweden finally arrives and you are probably thinking to yoruself that you will finally show everyone that you still have it, as you know with Rooney in the side, even if you are half fit you will inevitably have more chances to score.

The game finally starts and two minutes in with absolutely no one around you, you pass the ball off and land so awkwardly that you cannot continue the game and there are doubts about how soon you can return tot he team.

Yes Michael I hate to say it.....but Karma is a biatch!!!

Well I didn't think the forum could reach an all time low but not only have you stepped over the line, you've jumped over it about 8 feet.

saving himself for england? I don't know if you've realised but last time I checked, Glenn Roeder picks the team not Michael Owen. He thought it best to leave Michael Owen out not Michael Owen.

showing up fit in training? that's because it was 2-3 weeks after the Premiership had finished and he had had time to get fit. Also he was fit for us in training as well it just wasn't as publicised, he just didn't train as a precaution

no responsibility? he accepted that he wasn't playing at his best but he was hardly playing bad. he had nothing to take responsibility for and nothing to apologise for, the team weren't creating him chances. the change was tactical. we were playing the long ball and it doesn't suit him, we were under pressure and so needed to pack the midfield.

ffs I don't know what some newcastle fans think Owen is but he is a decent bloke and he wouldn't use the club. he isn't some evil little man who takes money from us then goes home and sits in his layer laughing it up.

The broken foot wasn't his fault, the knee injury wasn't his fault, him becoming fit for england but not newcastle isn't his fault, it's what happens when you come back from injury, you gradually build fitness.

Lay off the bloke ffs. 7 goals in 10 games yet everyone hurls criticism at him. he is the best striker England have and one of the best in the world, I for one would hate to see him leave and I hate anything bad happening to him on the pitch.

to be honest, there is no way he is better than Rooney, even the die hards have to admit that.

Owen's record:

5 international tournaments, 6 goals

Rooney's record:

1 international tournament, 4 goals

(that info is for all those who will claim Owen is a better GOALSCORER)

you'd have to be one of the doctors or physios treating him to know if he was fit enough to play for us. he certainly didn't seem sharp enough in the past few games, but that is a matter of match fitness, rather than has his bone healed. he doesn't have match fitness cos he didn't play for us, but whether he wasn't fit enough in the first place is another matter. he said himself he had been fit (or free of injury/ready to play) for the past month or something like that, the reason he didn't look match fit or sharp for england in the past few games was possibly cos he was being too cautious.

he never said he was fit or had been ready to play for a month,do stop spinning to try and further your cause.

i'll ask again,do you not think if he'd been fit he'd rather have played a few games for us to get match fit.

Guest JPFIN

I thought this would be about nufc selling one sick note for big money and getting

one in return.

yeah, karma is a biatch. :(

Owen - moves to a club he publicly declared didnt want to sign for, barely plays due to injuries, then when he gets fit he "saves" himself even though the club is paying him 100k per week and has a few crunch games with a top 6 spot at stake - all of that to be fit for the World Cup.

Gets to the World Cup, plays shit (shitter than he did in Euro 2004 and WC2002 where he was "quite" shit), then gets seriously injured.

Nice one.

Guest TheOrder

Owen - moves to a club he publicly declared didnt want to sign for, barely plays due to injuries, then when he gets fit he "saves" himself even though the club is paying him 100k per week and has a few crunch games with a top 6 spot at stake - all of that to be fit for the World Cup.

Gets to the World Cup, plays shit (shitter than he did in Euro 2004 and WC2002 where he was "quite" shit), then gets seriously injured.

Nice one.

Yawn.

Guest BlueWhiteMonkey

Agreed, the little dwarf has had a rich dose of Karma. It's just a shame that we as a club have to suffer as well. I still say sell him off to Bolton.

Nice one.

Where did you come across this information that he was "saving" himself?

Agreed, the little dwarf has had a rich dose of Karma. It's just a shame that we as a club have to suffer as well. I still say sell him off to Bolton.

Really not funny. Stop trying so hard.

he never said he was fit or had been ready to play for a month,do stop spinning to try and further your cause.

i'll ask again,do you not think if he'd been fit he'd rather have played a few games for us to get match fit.

Sven has admitted that Owen could have played against Chelsea, if he was fit why didn't he?

Against Birmingham he complained of a dull pain in his foot but was otherwise ok, his surgeon then told him the pain was normal and to be expected but how come we then didn't see him for the rest of the season? Surely if the bone had healed well enough to come on against Brum he should have figured in our remaining games?

I agree with Kaka, it is clear that Owen has saved himself for England, he was afraid of damaging his foot again and being out of the WC. I'm sure he is proud to play for England but at the end of the day the club who pays his huge wages should be his main priority. So far we have not had value for money and it doesn't look like we're going to for the forseeable fututre.

Sven has admitted that Owen could have played against Chelsea, if he was fit why didn't he?

Against Birmingham he complained of a dull pain in his foot but was otherwise ok, his surgeon then told him the pain was normal and to be expected but how come we then didn't see him for the rest of the season? Surely if the bone had healed well enough to come on against Brum he should have figured in our remaining games?

I agree with Kaka, it is clear that Owen has saved himself for England, he was afraid of damaging his foot again and being out of the WC. I'm sure he is proud to play for England but at the end of the day the club who pays his huge wages should be his main priority. So far we have not had value for money and it doesn't look like we're going to for the forseeable fututre.

ewerk's answered for me

when did sven say that ?

a lot was made of owens comments,a whole thread was devoted to them on here,many slagged him off until actually reading the quotes instead of somone elses take on them.

also after the brum game wasn't there just one game left,i'd have been more concerned had he played v chelsea as it would seem he was just playing to get games under his belt to get ready for the world cup.

• 10 months later...

Bumpity Bump ...

Anyone still think we should keep this guy?

As soon as he recovers this time please sell him!

£110,000 a week and we might not be so lucky as to have compensation and insurance cover us next time!

Guest BlueWhiteMonkey

I've been saying all along that he's taking this club for a ride whilst he can get a game for England.

Got called a wanker on here by all the fucking big brains. I hope they realise that they have been chatting shite for 2 years.

Most expensive loan deal any club has performed EVER.