Diego Armando Maradona - 1960-2020

Nobody

Guest Howaythetoon

Apparently 3 morgue staff took pics with his dead body (I’ve seen the photos and looks genuine, if not great fake) And boca ultras have hunted them down (seen video of one of them in a dumpster) and killed 2 of them and the other is in hospital.

Madness all round if true, but you don’t f*** with them mad b******s. Hopefully Ashley fancies a spell in the Argentinian top flight after this spell.

Urghh man that's horrendous.

Fucking hell please tell me that’s not true... urgh!

Why is Iniesta never mentioned in these lists? What was it about Zidane that made him such a significantly better player than Iniesta?

Think Gazza (Zidane) vs Scholes (Iniesta)

Separated by that little extra touch of class and above else that touch of genius rarely found in 99.9% of others. Zidane had that, Iniesta almost had it... that’s the difference IMO.

I just don't see it, Zidane had a touch of elegance about him that maybe Iniesta didn't, but player for player and achievement for achievement I don't understand how there can be such a disparity in how they're rated, furthermore, Iniesta was insanely consistent, for both club and country. #

Guest Howaythetoon

Why is Iniesta never mentioned in these lists? What was it about Zidane that made him such a significantly better player than Iniesta?

Separated by that little extra touch of class and above else that touch of genius rarely found in 99.9% of others. Zidane had that, Iniesta almost had it... that’s the difference IMO.

I just don't see it, Zidane had a touch of elegance about him that maybe Iniesta didn't, but player for player and achievement for achievement I don't understand how there can be such a disparity in how they're rated, furthermore, Iniesta was insanely consistent, for both club and country. #

Forget stats, appearances, longevity, look at pure ability. Zidane another level mate, same with Gazza over say Scholes, Gerrard et al :thup:

Top tier of  Pele, Cruyff, Maradona.

Not very far behind both Ronaldo's and Messi

Then a huge wonderful group of Zidane, Platini, Bobby Charlton, Best etc

Its so hard to put defenders in there, Beckenbauer, Maldini, Bergomi, Halliday.

Beckenbauer has to be in the Top 5 for me. Easily one of the most intelligent players to ever grace the game, and invented the libero role, and in so many ways, ushered in modern tactics. The only reason he'd be left out is because of his position. He and Maldini would be the first two defenders I'd pick by a country mile.

I was absolutely lucky to see Beckenbauer, Cruyff, and Neeskens play on the same pitch back in the NASL days, but was too young to have anything but fragmented memories. I do remember Cruyff going through players like they were in another dimension though. Was absolutely absurd how much better those three and the likes of George Best were than the rest of the league.

Speaking of George Best, if you want to see how much better he was than everyone else apart from the above three, check out his goal for the Earthquakes against Fort Lauderdale. They should have banned him from the league after that.

Laudrup should get more love tbh.

Both of them, sublime players :thup:

The second best goal of the 98 World Cup behind Bergkamp's against Argentina was Ebbe Sand's against Nigeria. Laudrup's chip assist was just fucking ridiculous. The vision and skill was just on another level. Watching him play, it was like he already watched the game in the future and studied everyone else's moves and positions to death. It was almost cheating.

Xavi was better than Iniesta IMO

Beckenbauer has to be in the Top 5 for me. Easily one of the most intelligent players to ever grace the game, and invented the libero role, and in so many ways, ushered in modern tactics. The only reason he'd be left out is because of his position. He and Maldini would be the first two defenders I'd pick by a country mile.

I was absolutely lucky to see Beckenbauer, Cruyff, and Neeskens play on the same pitch back in the NASL days, but was too young to have anything but fragmented memories. I do remember Cruyff going through players like they were in another dimension though. Was absolutely absurd how much better those three and the likes of George Best were than the rest of the league.

Speaking of George Best, if you want to see how much better he was than everyone else apart from the above three, check out his goal for the Earthquakes against Fort Lauderdale. They should have banned him from the league after that.

Marco van Basten was probably the most complete striker I've ever seen if we are going to look at greats from a particular field, but the likes of Maradona were dominating every area of the pitch. Even man marking didn't seem to stop him, defenders had to resort to hacking him down, and I'm not talking about the shirt pulls or trips we see in today's game which is marshalled much more strictly, in those days the idea of a dangerous tackle was not even a concept.

Marco van Basten was probably the most complete striker I've ever seen if we are going to look at greats from a particular field, but the likes of Maradona were dominating every area of the pitch. Even man marking didn't seem to stop him, defenders had to resort to hacking him down, and I'm not talking about the shirt pulls or trips we see in today's game which is marshalled much more strictly, in those days the idea of a dangerous tackle was not even a concept.

Tbf Laudrup could pretty much dominate everywhere on the pitch, and was used everywhere in the midfield, and even as a striker occasionally.

Don't think Batistuta was too far behind van Basten in completeness as far as strikers go.

But I agree with you. I'd still put Maradona above them all by some distance. His presence in the 86 and 90 World Cups were rightly considered legendary, but frankly only he could have made Napoli an absolute force within a season. The dude was worth half a team. I mean FFS he was a Time Bandit and still was miles better than anyone else because of supernatural balance, and an unmatched reading of the game. van Basten was gifted with all of the physical attributes Maradona didn't have, but it's absolutely no question who was the better player.

Tbf Laudrup could pretty much dominate everywhere on the pitch, and was used everywhere in the midfield, and even as a striker occasionally.

Don't think Batistuta was too far behind van Basten in completeness as far as strikers go.

But I agree with you. I'd still put Maradona above them all by some distance. His presence in the 86 and 90 World Cups were rightly considered legendary, but frankly only he could have made Napoli an absolute force within a season. The dude was worth half a team. I mean FFS he was a Time Bandit and still was miles better than anyone else because of supernatural balance, and an unmatched reading of the game. van Basten was gifted with all of the physical attributes Maradona didn't have, but it's absolutely no question who was the better player.

Batigol was/is Shearer. Arc of the career reinevtion is similar too.

You’re right though, the thing you can’t quantify Maradona had in spades.

Never been aware of such allegations against Maradona.

There's a video of him beating up his partner, and he had multiple rape allegations, although wasn't convicted.  Hadn't heard of the paedophilia part, but seems there are images of him with very worryingly young looking naked females.

• 2 weeks later...