Football stuff on TV

Keefaz

Always goosebumps with Three Lions.

Three Lions is such a class song

I loved it, hairs on the back of the neck and that. Everyone else hated it at the time. :mick:

Srsly they first played it on Fantasy Football and I taped it (VCR, fuck off you young uns) and played it half a dozen times off the belt. It's the hope that gets you.

All I can remember about Euro 96 is absolutely loving Three Lions and collecting the coins from Sainsbury's. :lol: Wish I'd been old enough to understand the hype.

Is the Euro 96 one the most glorious defeat in England's history? Typething? I mean, obviously we lost and it shattered the last best hope - but it gets worn as a badge of honor in many ways. Not saying it's a bad thing.

All said and done, the team didn't perform that brilliantly at the tournament. Draw in the first game, in danger against Scotland when the penalty was given, labouring past Spain then playing well against Germany but ultimately losing.

However the set up was glorious. The tournament was in England of course, the footballing landscape in England was being revolutionised and Italia 90 was the last time the national team showed anything of interest. The team was also full of leaders, captains, players in their prime. Seaman, Adams, Pearce, Ince, Gazza, Platt, Shearer, Sheringham... and I'm probably forgetting others, all leaders in their own way.

Add to that the folklore of the atmosphere, some memorable goals, the thrashing of Holland... and finally the fact that we really did come an inch away from beating the old enemy and possibly winning the whole thing.

Again, Baddiel and Skinner speak really well about that time as whole. They did so in the doc tonight, but have done previously over the years in their podcasts or shows.

All I can remember about Euro 96 is absolutely loving Three Lions and collecting the coins from Sainsbury's. :lol: Wish I'd been old enough to understand the hype.

I've still got my collection somewhere. :aww:

Just caught up with the show last night, as someone who was only 2 in the summer of 96, I don't remember any of it, except my dad coming in from work singing Three Lions. Never really liked him but thought Sherringham came across really well, and I find David Seaman hilarious for some reason

Watching that reminded me what a brilliant commentator Barry Davies was. Pretty much every clip they showed last night contained a great, eloquent little line from him, or a great reaction to what had just happened on the pitch. Motson always was and still is absolute garbage in comparison (and is getting worse and worse).

Watching that reminded me what a brilliant commentator Barry Davies was. Pretty much every clip they showed last night contained a great, eloquent little line from him, or a great reaction to what had just happened on the pitch. Motson always was and still is absolute garbage in comparison (and is getting worse and worse).

Aye , Barry was top drawer. Along with Brian Moore and David Coleman as the best footie commentators of my lifetime.

Necking tinnies and sleeping tablets during a tournament :lol:

I can't believe a professional footballer, and a world class one at that, can spend his spare time taking temazies. But gazza managed it.

• 3 months later...