Video Assistant Referees (VAR)

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

As long as people are authoritatively stating as FACT their OPINION that it would slow the game to a crawl as every decision would be challenged, I'm going to state my opinion as fact that it would be used judiciously and wisely and be a benefit to the game.

As long as people are authoritatively stating as FACT their OPINION that it would slow the game to a crawl as every decision would be challenged, I'm going to state my opinion as fact that it would be used judiciously and wisely and be a benefit to the game.

Not sure anyone is stating their opinion as a fact.

There's absolutely no reason why having a review system, even a strict one where it's only ONE freaking referral per side, so two stoppages max per game, can't be quick and beneficial to the game. It will still do more to reduce human error without getting in most poeple's way.

So we're back to square one :lol: No compromise or solutions can be suggested because there will always be someone who'll come by saying why the solutions to problems raised are "the worst."

I'm not on any side here really, probably more for the pro VAR side if anything. Challenges would be absolutely shit though. Just use it for offsides that lead to goals, penalties and red cards

I also wonder how many titles, cups, relegations (and fucking World Cups) will be decided while we trial this shite out too. Considering the whole point of it is meant to make the game more fair, over the next few years we're going to see some pretty unfair shit because of it.

I also wonder how many titles, cups, relegations (and fucking World Cups) will be decided while we trial this shite out too. Considering the whole point of it is meant to make the game more fair, over the next few years we're going to see some pretty unfair shit because of it.

It will be more fair than if its just left the way it is surely?

The whole purist perspective is funny because the same purists seem to have forgotten or not paid attention to the plethora of changes to actual laws and rules of the game from country to country, from, yes, Kinshasa to Germany, even differing from competition to competition. Golden Goal rule, constant tinkering with the official off-side rule, the 6-second rule, etc. I wasn't aware all these had such a massive impact on me enjoying a pub league when these rules were being fucked about with from country to country, league to league.

Every single one of those rule changes you mention could be/were/are implemented at all levels. There is no reason they can't, unlike VAR.

You clearly don't give a shit about any football that's not televised, that's up to you. I don't watch much of the lower leagues either. But I care about the fundamental basics of the football pyramid across our country (and by extension the world) and don't believe the top flight should have special status and effectively its own rules.

But the way it is is inherently 'flawed' but that's how the game has been for decades. VAR is meant to make the game 'bulletproof', so when they fuck up and lose someone the World Cup it's going to feel far, far worse than just a referee who missed something.

Losing a world cup because FIFA randomly decided to trial some shite system?

The whole purist perspective is funny because the same purists seem to have forgotten or not paid attention to the plethora of changes to actual laws and rules of the game from country to country, from, yes, Kinshasa to Germany, even differing from competition to competition. Golden Goal rule, constant tinkering with the official off-side rule, the 6-second rule, etc. I wasn't aware all these had such a massive impact on me enjoying a pub league when these rules were being fucked about with from country to country, league to league.

Every single one of those rule changes you mention could be/were/are implemented at all levels. There is no reason they can't, unlike VAR.

You clearly don't give a shit about any football that's not televised, that's up to you. I don't watch much of the lower leagues either. But I care about the fundamental basics of the football pyramid across our country (and by extension the world) and don't believe the top flight should have special status and effectively its own rules.

What exactly does this have to do with televised or not? Whether in stadia or at home, you're gonna have to sit through video replays if VAR is implemented. And no need think I "don't give a shit" when I've said time and again that the goal is to make football fairer as a game, not be some elitist TV-watching wanker as you seem to have assumed I am.

But the way it is is inherently 'flawed' but that's how the game has been for decades. VAR is meant to make the game 'bulletproof', so when they fuck up and lose someone the World Cup it's going to feel far, far worse than just a referee who missed something.

Losing a world cup because FIFA randomly decided to trial some shite system?

Much lower chance of losing due to VAR than losing due to incompetent reffing though

What exactly does this have to do with televised or not? Whether in stadia or at home, you're gonna have to sit through video replays if VAR is implemented. And no need think I "don't give a shit" when I've said time and again that the goal is to make football fairer as a game, not be some elitist TV-watching wanker as you seem to have assumed I am.

Absolutely kidding yourself if you think clubs are going to be installing video screens, or even that replays will be shown in grounds at all.

It has everything to do with television.

Absolutely kidding yourself if you think clubs are going to be installing video screens, or even that replays will be shown in grounds at all.

That's something I've assumed would happen. If it doesn't, as part of VAR, then yeah, the in-person watching experience is going to differ from telly. That's an interesting difference I hadn't thought about, as I'd assumed they would be installing screens.

Make football as a game fairer by implementing a convoluted system of correcting mistakes (righto) but only for the 0.3% of English football league clubs that already have the most money by a million miles. :lol:

Make football as a game fairer by implementing a convoluted system of correcting mistakes (righto) but only for the 0.3% of English football league clubs that already have the most money by a million miles. :lol:

Is there goalline technology in the lower leagues?

Is there goalline technology in the lower leagues?

Nope. Already covered that.