Worst ever Newcastle midfielder?

Nicky Butt was our player of the year in 2006/2007 yet he's somehow our WORST ever midfielder?

Aye, he definitely had a spell where he was very solid. Absolutely no chance is he in with a running for 'worst ever'.

Cant remember the likes of Jimmy McRamshackle from back in the 30's but in my lifetime Faye and Smith were the worst. Obertan shades it for me though, as highlighted by his career since leaving us. 8 games at Anzhi, relegated to L1 with Wigan and then onto Levski Sofia. Woeful, woeful footballer.

Guest reefatoon

:lol: Stephen Glass

Looks like someone is just hoying a name in to join in the chat. Nothing wrong with Glass like, was decent.  Now if you had said Brian Pinas, then at least you would have got some bonus points for the name.

Nicky Butt was our player of the year in 2006/2007 yet he's somehow our WORST ever midfielder?

Don’t think he was worst ever by any stretch, I just didn’t like him and saw him as a pointless player. Was well past his best by the time he got here.

I think there's a difference between players who have done enough in the game or have been talked about in such a way you think they should have done substantially better here (Geremi, Smith, Butt, Obertan) and those that were just undeniably crap (Faye, Fumaca, Askew, Brady).

Think next list will be worst ever Newcastle manager for signings. Bloody hate Souness as our manager so any excuse to blame him for this lot (especially considering he had money to spend):

Ronny Johnsen

Celestine Babayaro

Jean Alain Boumsong

Amdy Faye

Scott Parker

Belozoglu Emre

Tim Krul

Craig Moore

Lee Clark

Albert Luque

Michael Owen

Nolberto Solano

Of those Parker, Emre and Krul (albeit not when Souness was there for the latter) did well, Luque was unlucky with his injury and Solano did well but was a strange transfer as it was part exchange for Milner going out on loan for a season. The rest were past it, utter scumbags (Owen) or crap.

Alan Smith is right up there in recent times.  I mean obviously there are far worse that played here and there.  But I remember him playing a fair few games and being first choice at one point.  So it always stands out in your mind more. 

Can't think of anyone worse for us than Alan Smith tbh. He was here in his prime and was just a horrendous footballer. He couldn't even manage a single goal in the 5 years he robbed a living of us.

Cant remember the likes of Jimmy McRamshackle from back in the 30's but in my lifetime Faye and Smith were the worst. Obertan shades it for me though, as highlighted by his career since leaving us. 8 games at Anzhi, relegated to L1 with Wigan and then onto Levski Sofia. Woeful, woeful footballer.

Again, he was rubbish, but contributed the odd thing from time to time; at the very least a bit of pace.

Smith gave absolutely nowt.

James Troisi

Ended up playing in Serie A :lol:

On the Juventus books at one stage. Ended up stinking up the A-League for Kevin Muscat's Melbourne Victory. Matched pair.

How did he ever end up at Juve? :lol: madness

Always thought Troisi had something about him the few minutes he played for us. Not afraid of taking players on. Certainly a lot better than the likes of Matty Pattison.

Butt had a decent spell playing behind Emre when Parker was out.

Smith however... I can't remember a single positive about his time here. Perhaps only his audacious bicycle kick from about 35 yards out which smashed against the crossbar :lol:

Highlight of smith’s time here was scoring a header in a preseason friendly as soon as he arrived.

It went rapidly downhill from there. Fergie must have been laughing into his red wine once he’d manage to offload him onto us.

Smith admitted in an interview that by the time we signed him he was fucked from the injuries he had had. I seem to remember that at the time we knew how badlt he had been injured. Geremi as well, we were told by whoever his manager was that his legs had gone but we bought him anyhow.

Smith admitted in an interview that by the time we signed him he was fucked from the injuries he had had. I seem to remember that at the time we knew how badlt he had been injured. Geremi as well, we were told by whoever his manager was that his legs had gone but we bought him anyhow.

Sir Bobby, writing in his Mail on Sunday column, said: "Jose Mourinho told me last season that Geremi's legs had effectively gone.

"'Mister, he plays like a 40-year-old. He can not run any more. He will not play for me in important matches again,' was Jose's typically forthright response.

"Naturally, I was alarmed to read that Newcastle wanted to sign Geremi.

"I passed on my information to someone at the club (before Mike Ashley took over), but Geremi still ended up signing. In fact, Sam made him captain."