Worst ever Newcastle midfielder?

From my 25 years as a supporter as far as I can remember my worst 4 would have to be Geremi, Smith, Butt and Colback all equally useless, all self destructive in their own way, how many points has that bunch lost us as a unit? :lol:

If Colback is getting mentioned, then I’m throwing out Anita. He was worse. Nothing footballer.

In the distance, a faint cry of "Tidy passer though!" is heard somewhere.

It might be me you can hear, grinding my teeth. I will not have it that Vernon Anita is anywhere near as bad as Jack Colback. :huff:

Butt and Geremi were integral parts of a mini-renaissance under KK II (Barton too). For that reason they have to escape this title. Geremi linked up with that wanker Owen incredibly well.

If Colback is getting mentioned, then I’m throwing out Anita. He was worse. Nothing footballer.

In the distance, a faint cry of "Tidy passer though!" is heard somewhere.

It might be me you can hear, grinding my teeth. I will not have it that Vernon Anita is anywhere near as bad as Jack Colback. :huff:

He was absolutely bloody awful in midfield but remember he was great in one of those end of season relegation battle games, possibly the one against West Ham Jonas scored in

Amdy Faye. Just not a footballer, and signed because of Willie Mackay rather than for any actual footballing reasons. Absolutely shit transfer.

At least Butt, Geremi and Smith had some kind of pedigree, even if they turned out to be shit. This guy was a total fraud.

Colback was always going to struggle to win people over after that photo of him celebrating the 3-0 derby win. He was nowhere near the worst.

Most disappointing I'd say was Nicky Butt. An England international with all those club medals behind him, and he looked very limited for us.

Matty Pattison or Alan O'Brien. Both played under Roeder.

Christ, forgot about Pattison. What a sack of shit he was.

Saw him play for Shields. Still looked shit.

Might be my age but I can remember Faye being shit but it was just a short period of time. Colback seemed to be stinking the team out for years. His attitude was absolutely lifting at the end as well given he was arguing with Rafa on the training ground.

I defended Anita at times but there’s no wonder we went down with those to in the holding roles

Players like Gavilan and Papavasiliou and even Maric never really got going, and I remember Gavilan and Maric at least showing glimpses of talent. Fumaca and his stepovers are infamous, but I only remember him making a handful of appearances, mostly off the bench. Maybe it was just the idea of Amdy Faye, who was alright at Portsmouth, but I also thought he started okay before rapidly deteriorating. I don't think it's fair to include youngsters who get given a chance - often because of a lack of squad depth - but fail to make the grade.

The first names that spring to mind are those established players who really had no excuse for being awful, and yet they were worse than that. Top of the list are Butt and Smith. I thought Smith in particular never had a good spell for us, even in the Championship, when he simply sat in front of the defence heading balls back to the opposition before Danny Guthrie took his place. I hated Butt more though, and never liked nor rated him whether playing for us, England, or Manchester United. His standard forward pass was either a chipped ball to the opposition defence, or a blasted ball which would hit our forwards somewhere about the knees.

I know it's grossly unfair to target Robson in any list of 'worst' Newcastle anything, but in the last year under him we went from a midfield of Robert, Speed, Dyer, and Solano, with Jenas and Viana in reserve, to a marginalised Robert barely hanging on to his place on the left, while the rest of the midfield was made up of Dyer, Jenas, and then Butt, Bowyer, Milner, and Darren Ambrose. After a few years back in England, he went native.