Alan Shearer

Weznufc

It might depend how long Messi plays as well.

I think in Football today if anyone is going to break it they need to be in the Spanish league.  Ronaldo is amazing, but I'm not sure he'd be banging in a hat trick every other week in the Premier League.  I have no doubt he'd be the top scorer though.

It'll be fun seeing just how many he can get that's for sure.  He was fantastic tonight.

He did get 31 goals one season for Man Utd, but he also only got 18 in his last season.  I'm sure he'd get loads here and he has improved since moving to Madrid.  He did go straight from 18 in 33 for Man Utd to 26 in 29 in his first season at Madrid.  So I'm just not sure the defences make it quite as tough there.  Having said that Costa has come here and has been just as prolific, so maybe I'm overstating the difference a bit.

Not bad company to keep.

B4MxRqCCQAAWaCv.jpg

Ronaldo overtaken shearer tonight.

What fills me with pride is Shearer basically hasn't been surpassed by anyone in the modern era bar Ronaldo tonight and Messi eventually. Shearer did it at a time when football was probably a tad harder and had 2 horrific injuries that slowed down his career - where's Ronaldo and Messi have essentially played so much damn football (I know they've been dealing with injuries recently).

But my word, Shearer truly is one of the greatest scorers in league-play of all time - fucking amazing to see him on that list.

It might depend how long Messi plays as well.

I think in Football today if anyone is going to break it they need to be in the Spanish league.  Ronaldo is amazing, but I'm not sure he'd be banging in a hat trick every other week in the Premier League.  I have no doubt he'd be the top scorer though.

Do you watch La Liga?

I watch La Liga. It's a truly great league but I think what lets it down sometimes is the propensity of teams to throw the towel in. The defending, whilst good, isn't as good as the standard in the PL, either. For example 18 months back Soldado, Falcao and Negredo finished the league season with around 80 goals between them for teams outside the top 2. That's just not happening over here.

I watch La Liga, it's a truly great league but I think what lets it down sometimes is the propensity of teams to throw the towel in. The defending, whilst good, isn't as good as the standard in the PL, either. For example 18 months back Soldado, Falcao and Negredo finished the league season with around 80 goals between them for teams outside the top 2. That's just not happening over here.

That is true of course but its not as easy as he was making out and Ronaldo and Messi would both score loads in the Prem as well

I watch La Liga, it's a truly great league but I think what lets it down sometimes is the propensity of teams to throw the towel in. The defending, whilst good, isn't as good as the standard in the PL, either. For example 18 months back Soldado, Falcao and Negredo finished the league season with around 80 goals between them for teams outside the top 2. That's just not happening over here.

That is true of course but its not as easy as he was making out and Ronaldo and Messi would both score loads in the Prem as well

I didn't make out it was that easy, just easier.  If you read my other posts I acknowledged Costa had done as well since he came here as in la liga, Ronaldo had a nearly 1 in 1 season here and him and Messi would score loads.  I'm just not sure it would be quite as many.  They'd still easily be the top scorers.  Ronaldo as I mentioned had an 18 in 33 season before he left the premier league and went straight to 26 in 29 in la liga.  I've also watched ageing finished strikers like Hasselbaink and failing Premier League Strikers like Forlan score loads in La Liga.  Soldado was another good example of someone who has struggled since coming to the premier league.

I do watch a fair few of the La Liga games and it's the lower teams where it isn't the same when they play the top teams.  Sunderland last week kicked, scrapped and fought for a 0-0 against Chelsea.  They're not a good side but they kept out a top European team.  Compare that to a lot of the bottom teams rolling over for Madrid lately and losing by as much as 4 or 5.  It does happen in the premier league, but not as often.  The quality of La Liga is excellent and the general standard of pass and move football is a lot higher, so I wasn't knocking the league overall, more the standard of overall defending.

I watch La Liga. It's a truly great league but I think what lets it down sometimes is the propensity of teams to throw the towel in. The defending, whilst good, isn't as good as the standard in the PL, either. For example 18 months back Soldado, Falcao and Negredo finished the league season with around 80 goals between them for teams outside the top 2. That's just not happening over here.

Falcao is different gravy to both Negredo and Soldado.

In Spain Falcao, Negredo and Soldado were all teams in that played much better football than the Premier League teams they've transferred into. As far as I'm concerned the standard of play is clearly better there. The teams seem to be more cohesive and have clearer ideas and the players have better technical fundamentals.

I definitely don't think Unai Emery's Sevilla (team that won the UEFA Cup last season) play worse football than Man City. City have some world class players but the standard of their play doesn't match the quality of their team, hence their struggles in Europe. In Falcao's case, even ignoring his fitness problems, there can be no comparison between the perfect machine Simeone's Atlético has been to Van Gaal's Man Utd.

I also don't think you should use the number of goals scored by a striker in two different leagues as a yardstick to compare their relative strengths, there are various factors that influence this statistic (teammates, coaching, acclimatisation). Michu left a lowly team in Spain, arrived in one of the English teams that actually played well  and scored more goals. On the other hand there's no chance Soldado was ever going to score as much as he did in Valencia in the mess that Spurs have been since he arrived.

It's not a set in stone thing, but generally strikers between many teams who have played in both leagues usually have a better scoring record in Spain.  It's not definitive and it's only a speculation to extrapolate anything from that.  I accept that.  All I said was that I wasn't sure if Messi and Ronaldo would score as many goals in the premier league as they do in Spain.  The difference might not be loads and I'm sure they'd be top scorers, but over 10 years it might impact their overall total a little bit.

I'll be surprised if any forward, striker or world class attacking midfield player ever scores 23 goals in their first 13 Premier league games of the season for example.  Ronaldo is amazing, but teams are absolutely collapsing in front of him at the moment.

"Wayne Bridge is one of the best 3 LB's I've ever seen, he's easily world class"

When you're boxing, do you just stand there like Homer Simpson and take digs to the head until the other fella gets tired?

No. I don't get sparked out by random anoraks in pubs for acting like a cunt and brag about it on here, either.