8 Daglish

9 Gullitt

10 Bruce

11 Allardyce

12 Souness

13 Kinnear

14 Carver

15 McClaren

I think between 6th and 12th in that list you could swap around really, both equally as bad as each other.... Roeder got 6th because he took us from being in a relegation scrap to Europe even if it was via the intertoto cup and in the 06/07 season was so unlucky with injuries.

pardew got 7th largely  down to the 5th place season.... now whilst I'm writing this I really don't know how he got that high up... he is a knob head ..12/13  we nearly  got relegated with some of the most demoralising defeats I've ever witnessed getting thumped 3-0 off the Mackems at home and the 6-0 home defeat to liverpool...

With Daglish he did beat arsenal  and liverpool to 2nd spot and CL football but he then dismantled Keegans side, made some horrible  signings and managed to take a side that finished 2nd two seasons in a row, and in the top 6 four  seasons in a row to 13th place finish.

Cant believe bruce makes the top 10 with the football we have played this season but I suppose  its take your pick between him ,fat Sam and Souness

And McClaren  beats licky lips and Kinnear to last place, with some of the players  we had that season , some of the performances hammered 6-1 by city, hammered by the Mackems, thumped 5-1 by Pardew's Palace then after getting  thumped by Chelsea 5-1 he came on for his interview grinning like a Cheshire cat.... if he didn't get sacked when he did we would have been down with 4/games  to spare.

I can only really go with those times I can actually remember, so that unfortunately rules out KK's first spell and kind of begins at the backend of Dalgish's reign.

1. Robson - Some brilliant years, man. Competing up there with the very best in the league and in Europe

2. Rafa - Gave us hope and showed us not to be careful what we wished for but to wish for something better

3. Hughton - An all-round top bloke who did a commendable job under some ridiculous circumstances

4. Keegan round 2 - It was doomed from the start but there were glimpses of what could have been. Owen in the hole was a masterstroke :saylor:

5. Roeder - Did a superb job as caretaker but should never have been allowed to go beyond that. Alkmaar :anguish:

6. Gullit - Gave us another memorable cup run and had the decency to walk when things went south

7. Dalglish - Buggered things up but took us to Wembley and we had the Barca night

8. Allardyce - Would've most likely stabilised things but gave us some of the worst performances ever witnessed at SJP (Hi Derby, Pompey)

9. Souness - Started the ball rolling for our demise, the miserable prick

10. Pardew - Probably gave us the worst performances at SJP and was a horrible cunt to boot. But 5th!

11. McClaren - Has there been a more hapless manager/"head coach"?

12. Kinnear - Beyond the initial swear-filled rant there wasn't much to laugh about

13. Fucking Carver :lol:

Totally forgot about Bruce. :lol:

He probably comes in between Dalglish and Allardyce.

Easy to forget that if we'd beaten Blackburn, as we should have, we'd have been level on points once the games in hand had been played, with a very similar goal difference. Man United then went to Southampton and lost as well. That match felt like the nail in the coffin at the time and it still does now. I still think if we'd won that one match we'd have gone on to win the title.

the manager still had us attacking at 1 nil up with 10 minutes left although no-one is allowed to question the manager tactically. that journey home was the worst ever.

Rank by Win Percentage

1 Keegan (92-97) 54.98% / 54.54% Prem Only

2 Sir Bobby (99-04) 46.67% / 44.38% Prem Only

3 Roeder (06-07) 45.83 % /  41.17% Prem Only

4 Souness (04-06) 44.83% / 29%Prem Only

5 Dalglish (97-98) 38.46%  /  34.54% Prem Only

6 Pardew (10-14) 38.38% / 37.6% Prem Only

7 Gullit (98-99) 34.62%  /  26.9% Prem Only

8 Allardyce (07-08) 33.33% / 33.33% Prem Only

9 Rafa (16-19) 42.47%  / 31.76% Prem Only

10 Hughton (09-10) 59.38%  / 31.25% Prem Only

11 Bruce (19-20) 31.03%  Prem Only

12 Keegan(2nd spell) (08-08) 28.57% Prem Only

13 McClaren (15-16) 22.58%  / 21.42% Prem Only

14 Kinnear (08-09) 22.22% / 26.31% Prem Only

15 Carver (15-15) 15%

Carver was thick as pig shit.

Steve McClaren was absolute limp dick.

A close race to the bottom for those two wankers, but Souness runs them close. I knew as soon as he was appointed that our days of pushing on and challenging at the top were over.

Rank by Win Percentage

1 Keegan (92-97) 54.98% / 54.54% Prem Only

2 Sir Bobby (99-04) 46.67%

3 Roeder (06-07) 45.83 %

4 Souness (04-06) 44.83%

5 Dalglish (97-98) 38.46%

6 Pardew (10-14) 38.38% / 37.6% Prem Only

7 Gullit (98-99) 34.62%

8 Allardyce (07-08) 33.33%

9 Rafa (16-19) 42.47%  / 31.76% Prem Only

10 Hughton (09-10) 59.38%  / 31.25% Prem Only

11 Bruce (19-20) 30.43%

12 Keegan(2nd spell) (08-08) 28.57%

13 McClaren (15-16) 22.58%

14 Kinnear (08-09) 22.22%

15 Carver (15-15) 15%

I'd be interested to see the PL only %s because Roeder and Souness will have improved theirs a fair bit by beating teams of waiters in July.

Easy to forget that if we'd beaten Blackburn, as we should have, we'd have been level on points once the games in hand had been played, with a very similar goal difference. Man United then went to Southampton and lost as well. That match felt like the nail in the coffin at the time and it still does now. I still think if we'd won that one match we'd have gone on to win the title.

the manager still had us attacking at 1 nil up with 10 minutes left although no-one is allowed to question the manager tactically. that journey home was the worst ever.

But that's how we got to be in a position to win the title in the first place. I'll always believe that it was the players who lost their bottle in the end rather than the tactics. Rob Lee and Ferdinand who had been banging them in for fun prior to Christmas barely scored again in the second half of the season.

Bobby Robson almost won the league with a defence of Andy Griffin, Andy O'Brien, Titus Bramble and Aaron Hughes. He is our best ever, Keegan 2nd, Rafa 3rd.

I would have argued that as well if we were just looking at managerial achievements, but the OP has included a rider that we should consider what the manager did for the city, not just the football club. I don't think anyone ever will touch Keegan as an icon. Even those who didn't follow football loved him.

Would SBR have won the league taking over from Keegan? Maybe not in that season but the following?

We’d have definitely won something.

If we’d beat Chelsea in 2000 we’d have won the FA Cup under Robson imo.

Pilko[/member]

Rank by Win Percentage Premier League Fixtures Only

1 Keegan (92-97) 54.54%

2 Sir Bobby (99-04) 44.38%

3 Roeder (06-07)  41.17% 

4 Pardew (10-14) 37.6%

5 Dalglish (97-98) 34.54%

6 Allardyce (07-08) 33.33%

7 Rafa (16-19) 31.76%

8 Hughton (09-10) 31.25%

9 Bruce (19-20) 31.03% 

10  Souness (04-06) 29%

11 Keegan(2nd spell) (08-08) 28.57%

12 Gullit (98-99) 26.9%

13 Kinnear (08-09) 26.31%

14 McClaren (15-16) 21.42% 

15 Carver (15-15) 15%

Pilko[/member]

1 Keegan (92-97) 54.54%

3 Roeder (06-07)  41.17% 

4 Pardew (10-14) 37.6%

7 Rafa (16-19) 31.76%

8 Hughton (09-10) 31.25%

9 Bruce (19-20) 31.03% 

10  Souness (04-06) 29%

12 Gullit (98-99) 26.9%

15 Carver (15-15) 15%

Cheers. I maybe overstated the impact it would have on GR's stats but as expected, Souness sinks like a stone when you take out walloping European cack.

1 Sir Bobby

2 Keegan I

3 Rafa

4 Hughton

5 Roeder

6 Keegan II

7 Bruce

8 Pardew

9 Dalglish

10 Gullit

11 Allerdyce

12 McClaren

13 Carver

14 Kinnear

15 Souness

I have Souness as the worst as the rot started with him, Ashley etc exacerbated it but the root cause was the decision to appoint Souness which took NUFC from competing around the european places to lower-midtable and it only got worse from there (8m for fucking Boumsong). On a brighter front I have Sir Bob marginally ahead of Keegan as  I don't think he had the comparative resources KK had in his first time but really its a toss up between them.

Pilko[/member]

1 Keegan (92-97) 54.54%

3 Roeder (06-07)  41.17% 

4 Pardew (10-14) 37.6%

7 Rafa (16-19) 31.76%

8 Hughton (09-10) 31.25%

9 Bruce (19-20) 31.03% 

10  Souness (04-06) 29%

12 Gullit (98-99) 26.9%

15 Carver (15-15) 15%

Cheers. I maybe overstated the impact it would have on GR's stats but as expected, Souness sinks like a stone when you take out walloping European cack.

Speaks volumes of the depressing effect Ashley's ownership has had on the clubs performance. Winning 1 in three is overachievement and that's before you consider the fact we've not troubled the cups either.

Pilko[/member]

1 Keegan (92-97) 54.54%

3 Roeder (06-07)  41.17% 

4 Pardew (10-14) 37.6%

7 Rafa (16-19) 31.76%

8 Hughton (09-10) 31.25%

9 Bruce (19-20) 31.03% 

10  Souness (04-06) 29%

12 Gullit (98-99) 26.9%

15 Carver (15-15) 15%

Speaks volumes of the depressing effect Ashley's ownership has had on the clubs performance. Winning 1 in three is overachievement and that's before you consider the fact we've not troubled the cups either.

tbh it goes beyond even Ashley we've just been diabolically run for decades both in managerial appointments and just how the club has been run which in general has been purely for the benefit of the owner or chairman not the club

1. Sir Bob. A great manager over-achieves on the resources that he is given, and taking us from bottom to 3rd with that particular squad was awesome. It was a great ride, and we didn't know what we had till it was gone.

2. Keegan (1st spell) Not the complete package, but by sheer force of personality he transformed the entire thinking of the club, for ever, inside and out. We will never go back to a pre-Keegan era.

3. Rafa. The supreme professional.

4. Hughton. Took over the club at a terrible time and got us going again.

5. Bruce. Has done well, like Hughton, having taken over at a bad time, and with a weak squad. (Some may disagree) Jury still out, as far as I'm concerned.

6. Pardew. Started well, and then was undermined by Ashley when he appointed Kinnear as DOF. It all fell apart sadly.

7. Roeder - Worked hard, but never quite looked anything more than a stop-gap.

8. Keegan (2nd spell) The wrong man in the wrong place at the wrong time.

9. Allardyce, Dalglish, Gullit - hard to separate and assess. Clearly managers of talent but took over in difficult times and failed.

12. Souness - I like the guy, but as a manager he seems too prone to falling out with his players. Touchy and easily provoked, probably.

13. McClaren - Took over at a time when we needed a big personality, and he wasn't it.

14. Shearer - hard to judge on a handful of games, but does he have the drive to be a manager? Is he just lazy?

15. Carver - out of his depth as manager, but avoids last place due to his passion for the club

16. Kinnear - My mum always told me that if I couldn't say anything nice about someone, I should say nothing.

Another interesting feature is just how damaging the appointments of Dalglish and Souness were.

Dalglish knocked 20 percentage points off our win percentage.

Souness knocks 15 percentage points off SBR's win percentage.

Also highlights just how good the talent was under Pardew.

I can somewhat forgive the Dalglish appointment, on paper it made sense at the time, didn't work but he was hindered by Shearers injury and Ferdiands sale and he did buy Given and Speed. Souness though good lord.

Guest chopey

1. Sir Bob. A great manager over-achieves on the resources that he is given, and taking us from bottom to 3rd with that particular squad was awesome. It was a great ride, and we didn't know what we had till it was gone.

2. Keegan (1st spell) Not the complete package, but by sheer force of personality he transformed the entire thinking of the club, for ever, inside and out. We will never go back to a pre-Keegan era.

3. Rafa. The supreme professional.

4. Hughton. Took over the club at a terrible time and got us going again.

5. Bruce. Has done well, like Hughton, having taken over at a bad time, and with a weak squad. (Some may disagree) Jury still out, as far as I'm concerned.

6. Pardew. Started well, and then was undermined by Ashley when he appointed Kinnear as DOF. It all fell apart sadly.

7. Roeder - Worked hard, but never quite looked anything more than a stop-gap.

8. Keegan (2nd spell) The wrong man in the wrong place at the wrong time.

9. Allardyce, Dalglish, Gullit - hard to separate and assess. Clearly managers of talent but took over in difficult times and failed.

12. Souness - I like the guy, but as a manager he seems too prone to falling out with his players. Touchy and easily provoked, probably.

13. McClaren - Took over at a time when we needed a big personality, and he wasn't it.

14. Shearer - hard to judge on a handful of games, but does he have the drive to be a manager? Is he just lazy?

15. Carver - out of his depth as manager, but avoids last place due to his passion for the club

16. Kinnear - My mum always told me that if I couldn't say anything nice about someone, I should say nothing.

I'll say it for you .................He was a senile old Cunt, that picked our club up from the gutter and dragged it further down

Another interesting feature is just how damaging the appointments of Dalglish and Souness were.

I can somewhat forgive the Dalglish appointment, on paper it made sense at the time, didn't work but he was hindered by Shearers injury and Ferdiands sale and he did buy Given and Speed. Souness though good lord.

The Dalglish and Gullitt appointments were genuine mistakes, both were highly rated managers who just turned out to be poor in retrospect. Dalglish's second spell at Liverpool perhaps exposed him to closer scrutiny on Merseyside then he'd previously had. I think before that they saw him through rose tinted glasses somewhat.

The Dalglish and Gullitt appointments were genuine mistakes, both were highly rated managers who just turned out to be poor in retrospect. Dalglish's second spell at Liverpool perhaps exposed him to closer scrutiny on Merseyside then he'd previously had. I think before that they saw him through rose tinted glasses somewhat.

tbh it would be hard for them not to have rose tinted glasses since he was one of their greatest ever players and last manager to win a league for them. Wouldn't be much different for us if Keegan came back again as manager tomorrow

KK

Sir Bobby

Rafa

Hughton

No need for the rest, all bin material.

100%  - The list only has four names. Chris H was a gentleman, tactically aware and an all round good guy. Just the sort Ashley doesn't like. I often wonder how fat he could /would have taken us with a decent owner. The 1st 3 names are absolutely carved in stone.