The unpopular football opinion thread

Deuce

Unless they go ahead and set up that European super league and they both fall flat every week, you’re never going to be able to make a convincing case that the likes of Lewandowski and Cavani are “overrated.” All they can do is score goals against the teams in front of them, which they both do with incredible efficiency.

Until they (he, Lewa) get to important games in final stages of the biggest international compeitions against the best teams :shifty: World class players can/would do it then, though

Does that mean Kane isn't world class because he hasn't done it yet?

Isn’t it only English people who think this?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest firetotheworks

Unpopular opinion, but I don't really rate Lukaku all that much.

I've been wrong when it comes to strikers and I'll be wrong again, but I just don't really like him.

I've been wrong when it comes to strikers and I'll be wrong again, but I just don't really like him.

Same, I've said this loads. He has his moments but I can see why Mourinho decided against him. I'll look silly when they win the World Cup now.

Guest Howaythetoon

He doesn’t have the penalty box movement to be world-class. He will always score goals but he’s no better than Giroud for example in many experts and therefore kind of limited. He’s a very good CF though and seems to have worked hard on his movement, but it’s not natural. Shearer for example wasn't renowned for his movement, but his positioning was something else in the box, natural even though you couldn’t say he was a penalty box type striker. In that area though he was deadly come cross, slide pass, loose ball or getting away from a defender to make an opening. Lukaku does have everything else mind. The game has changed so it’s kind of tough on him to expect him to be everything and anything, despite his goal tally for them, I think Man Utd do not play to his strengths and he feeds a lot on scraps. he’s much more suited to how Belgium play. Harry Kane is a class above IMO, his positioning and movement inside the box is spot on, yet he’s not used in that way so much which for me means he’s a word-class player as he can be that fox in the box player or a CF in the traditional sense outside of the box while still being deadly and able to score lots of goals.

I’m sure i read somewhere not long ago that he has an outrageous amount of goals for someone his age compared to some of the greats at similar stages of their careers.  If he continues in that kind of vein then people won’t be able to argue with the numbers.

I’ve always rated him since he was at West Brom as a teenager and he was bullying Premier League defenders for fun.  The bloke is a beast but i could see why he wouldn’t be everyone’s cup of tea as he’s not the most elegant player.

Lukaku's run inside in the final minute dragged Nagatomo away, creating the huge space on Japan's left that Belgium exploited for the last minute winner.

Lukaku may end up like Rooney or the real Ronaldo in doing too much, too young in a body not built for longevity, but he's a definite top striker.

Lukaku's run inside in the final minute dragged Nagatomo away, creating the huge space on Japan's left that Belgium exploited for the last minute winner.

Lukaku may end up like Rooney or the real Ronaldo in doing too much, too young in a body not built for longevity, but he's a definite top striker.

Yup, that goal was all Lukaku despite him not touching the ball.

It's gone a bit too over-the-top. I can't get on transport, go to a shop or walk past reception at work without someone shouting it.

Was at Honest Burger the other night and some bloke stuck his head through the window and started screaming it.

The relentless Coming Home bants is getting a bit tedious.  :-X

:lol: you lot are going to be the absolute worst when you win it

Simultaneously elated and yet full of self-loathing for having been made to feel positive human emotion.

The relentless Coming Home bants is getting a bit tedious.  :-X

:lol: you lot are going to be the absolute worst when you win it

Simultaneously elated and yet full of self-loathing for having been made to feel positive human emotion.

We arn’t fucking winning it man.