The unpopular football opinion thread

Deuce

Simply put if you think rio was faster than sol you weren't watching the premiership in 1994 or can't remember it.

http://e2.365dm.com/12/05/402x210/Sol-Campbell-Tottenham-vs-Blackburn-1994_2758881.jpg?2012-05-02%2010:23:01

Tree trunk legs and lean top, it wasn't till his late spuds and early arsenal days did he change shape and lose his pace, you can't keep sprinting around at that speed over and over for 90mins when built like late 90s erly 2000s sol.

Ameobi used to have good pace when he was skinny, look at him now.

Robert was a match-winner. He won us matches. Sometimes it might just be a freekick to sink L'pool at home. Sometimes a quality corner for Speed to nod home. But when you had him, Solano, Dyer, Bellamy, Shearer and Speed. You always felt we had a goal in us. Always. As did the opposition. Scared of us.

Miss that whole mid set.

Ledley King and Woodgate were both better than Sol.

See I could compare Woody but Ledley King. ......nah.

I respectfully disagree. Sol was extraordinarily physically gifted, and an excellent CB, but Ledley was better, and comfortably better on the ball. The impact of his injury (at the age of 19 http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/07/29/3272802/ledley-kings-knee-problems-started-in-tottenham-debut) cannot be understated, and what he achieved despite that was astonishing.

Robert was a match-winner. He won us matches. Sometimes it might just be a freekick to sink L'pool at home. Sometimes a quality corner for Speed to nod home. But when you had him, Solano, Dyer, Bellamy, Shearer and Speed. You always felt we had a goal in us. Always. As did the opposition. Scared of us.

Miss that whole mid set.

:thup:

The best way of describing muscle slowing you down would be to point to Frank Bruno.

It didn't slow his punches or footwork down until the end of the fight. It mainly stiffened him up and reduced the angles he could punch from. What Bruno's trainers were thinking of in letting him hit the weights to that extend is beyond me. Not that he was ever really capable of achieving more than he did.

Only a Spurs fan would say that.

I think Ledley was class tbf, like Woodgate he would have been immense if he was ever fit for a decent run of games. England would have had an amazing selection of centre backs.

Only a Spurs fan would say that.

I think Ledley was class tbf, like Woodgate he would have been immense if he was ever fit for a decent run of games. England would have had an amazing selection of centre backs.

Okay but those are what-if's. Sol Campbell was a better player.. in part because his knees worked. Ledley may have had more potential, more talent... but Sol Campbell was the better player. Ledley never hit the heights, sorry.

No doubt Ledley was excellent.

But for me it's Rio > Sol > Terry > Ledley > Carragher > Woodgate (that lad barely played)

Talent wise it would be different - granted.

Agree with that. Woodgate possibly had more talent than all but Rio and Ledley but his body and his attitude let him down.

No doubt Ledley was excellent.

But for me it's Rio > Sol > Terry > Ledley > Carragher > Woodgate (that lad barely played)

Talent wise it would be different - granted.

Agree with that. Woodgate possibly had more talent than all but Rio and Ledley but his body and his attitude let him down.

Take injuries away from the equation,  Woodgate is superior to all, imho of course. As it is I go Sol- Rio - Woodgate - Terry - King.

Nah. You look at Owen, he was also injury-prone but he had a good 5-6 year prime where you could really rank him among his peers. Woodgate? Nope. We can only discuss talent and even then i'm not sure he's more talented than King or Ferdinand. Rio went to Leeds and was captain within a year of joining.

I loved Woodgate as a player but he was a bit of a Myth. While Rio has been at the top of the pile for over a decade.

Campbell was very good but he was made to look better than he was by having Gilberto infront of him for Arsenal.

Ferdinand, Woodgate and King were far more natural defenders. By that I should say made defending look easier than it should.

Guest firetotheworks

In terms of talent and intelligence I'd have Rio, Ledley and Woodgate at the peak of English defenders I've seen. I've always thought Carragher was pap.

Guest bimpy474

Woodgate never had the desire the others had to be a top level footballer. There's absolutely nothing he was better at than Rio, either.

Doubt it was anything to do with desire, it was everything to do with injuries.

And a lifestyle of getting pissed and not looking after himself properly.