Other clubs' transfers

Greg

Money means nothing if you have a goon spending it. I don’t think Pellegrini is a goon but he’s in that echelon below the best managers.

They should be aiming for 6th yet will probably hover around 8-10th all season. How can that not be looked as a failure?

Yeah can’t see them improving that much if he continues to neglect signing better defensive players this Summer :thup:

His sides are always terrible without the football his Malaga side conceded 68 goals not sure he’ll ever have West Ham defending properly.

Probably begged Kompany this summer to help him out.

Money means nothing if you have a goon spending it. I don’t think Pellegrini is a goon but he’s in that echelon below the best managers.

They should be aiming for 6th yet will probably hover around 8-10th all season. How can that not be looked as a failure?

Yeah can’t see them improving that much if he continues to neglect signing better defensive players this Summer :thup:

His sides are always terrible without the football his Malaga side conceded 68 goals not sure he’ll ever have West Ham defending properly.

Their defenders are alright, could do with a right back but fine other than that. They just play very openly. Feel like you'd prefer if every team just parked the bus in every game :lol:

L’Equipe suggesting PSG willing to sell Neymar.

Who can afford him that would want him ?

Real Madrid or Man Utd would buy him but Real have spent so much already are they going to spend even more on Neymar? Maybe some swap deal with Pogba or something but then again would Neymar want to go to a Europa League team even if it is Man Utd?

Their defenders are alright, could do with a right back but fine other than that. They just play very openly. Feel like you'd prefer if every team just parked the bus in every game :lol:

I think they need two 1st choice full backs and a Top 8 defensive partner for Diop then they would at least see individual defensive improvements next season.

You’re right though defensively they’ll never be great with his naive style of play the fact Fabianski had to make the most saves in the Premier League just shows that :lol:

I just prefer managers that play with balance that also show they can win big games in multiple different ways.

The likes of Mourinho, Rafa and now Jurgen Klopp are my personal favourites in that regard.

Jurgen Klopp has evolved most in recent years in that regard he decided to respect the need for balance which is what turned his side into Title contenders and European cup winners.

The improvement Jurgen Klopp has made to them defensively both collectively and individually has been the key for them :thup:

Liverpool and City will stand still in terms of squad. How much closer can the rest get this season?

Chelsea and Man Utd are set for bad seasons. Spurs could lose players. Arsenal still need time.

Who can realistically upset the top 4? It seems up for grabs this year more so than any recent season in memory.

Arsene Wenger is the one that disappointed me most refused to evolve once that George Graham back line went and never gave Arsenal that balance again.

Which is why I think Rafa Benitez would be the perfect man for Arsenal he’d give that Arsenal side the balance they need :thup:

Liverpool and City will stand still in terms of squad. How much closer can the rest get this season?

Chelsea and Man Utd are set for bad seasons. Spurs could lose players. Arsenal still need time.

Who can realistically upset the top 4? It seems up for grabs this year more so than any recent season in memory.

None of the clubs outside the Big 6 have the manager to break the Big 6 unfortunately.

Not a club with the money yet anyway :hmm:

Arsene Wenger is the one that disappointed me most refused to evolve once that George Graham back line went and never gave Arsenal that balance again.

Which is why I think Rafa Benitez would be the perfect man for Arsenal he’d give that Arsenal side the balance they need :thup:

I seem to remember them being pretty good with Lehmann, Lauren, Campbell, Kolo Toure and Ashley Cole in their backline.  They went the full season unbeaten!  :lol:

The way i remember it, Wenger had a hand tied behind his back when they had to pay for the new stadium, Henry decided to leave, and Bergkamp started declining.  He did well to keep them in the Champions League for so many years off the belt IMO.

He seemed to be obsessed with finding hidden gems though rather than just buying established quality players.  You can get away with that for a while if your scouting network is good enough but you’re going to get more duds than diamonds.

He seemed to be obsessed with finding hidden gems though rather than just buying established quality players.  You can get away with that for a while if your scouting network is good enough but you’re going to get more duds than diamonds.

Didn’t they have a wage cap in place?  I thought the likes of Henry, Viera and Campbell were on the top money and they wouldn’t go any higher than that.  Hence Ashley Cole fucking off to Chelsea.

Wenger refused to change the wage structure and that led to them overpaying bad players who couldn't be sold, and underpaying good players who eventually wanted to leave to be paid better. Over time that resulted in a squad that didn't have enough top-end talent. If he had changed this structure, they would have been able to afford the top-end wages and would have attracted enough top-end talent to keep challenging. Now they've dropped far back from Man Utd's financial power because they haven't challenged for anything seriously in a long, long time. Wenger prioritized cohesion in the squad by making sure everyone was paid well, except that cohesion didn't lead to them winning anything.

Didn’t they have a wage cap in place?  I thought the likes of Henry, Viera and Campbell were on the top money and they wouldn’t go any higher than that.  Hence Ashley Cole fucking off to Chelsea.

Their wage cap was an aggregate wage cap, but Wenger hamstrung himself by paying shit players really good wages, which meant he couldn't pay the best players top-end wages. Look at what Perez has done at Madrid as a great example. He pays decent players decent wages, but never over-the-top wages that results in him unable to sell them if need be. And he pays the best players the best wages because he knows that the team needs top-end talent to win big matches.

Wenger refused to change the wage structure and that led to them overpaying bad players who couldn't be sold, and underpaying good players who eventually wanted to leave to be paid better. Over time that resulted in a squad that didn't have enough top-end talent. If he had changed this structure, they would have been able to afford the top-end wages and would have attracted enough top-end talent to keep challenging. Now they've dropped far back from Man Utd's financial power because they haven't challenged for anything seriously in a long, long time. Wenger prioritized cohesion in the squad by making sure everyone was paid well, except that cohesion didn't lead to them winning anything.

I wouldn’t call 3 PL titles and 7 FA Cups “didn’t lead to them winning anything” like. He faded badly near the end obviously, but should be remembered as the brilliant manager he was.

Their wage cap was an aggregate wage cap, but Wenger hamstrung himself by paying shit players really good wages, which meant he couldn't pay the best players top-end wages. Look at what Perez has done at Madrid as a great example. He pays decent players decent wages, but never over-the-top wages that results in him unable to sell them if need be. And he pays the best players the best wages because he knows that the team needs top-end talent to win big matches.

Good posts 👍 I didn’t know that detail about the wage cap, i just remembered that there was one.  I suppose Wenger has to take some blame for that situation but in theory it was a decent idea, just not well executed.

And i fully agree with Unbelievable, Wenger’s success and impact on the English game was huge!  He should be remembered as a great i think.

Guest chopey

Pogba wants to leave Man United along with Lukaku. It wouldn't surprise me if De Gea hands in a transfer request soon as well, but I don't see anywhere else he could go.

PSG ?

Pogba wants to leave Man United along with Lukaku. It wouldn't surprise me if De Gea hands in a transfer request soon as well, but I don't see anywhere else he could go.

PSG. Don't think de Gea is rated that highly in Spain. Has lost his place to Kepa now for them

PSG. Don't think de Gea is rated that highly in Spain. Has lost his place to Kepa now for them

I could see him going to PSG. They are the only big team that probably need a good goalkeeper.

I could see him going to PSG. They are the only big team that probably need a good goalkeeper.

Maybe Bayern I guess depending on how ruthless they want to be with Neuer and his recent decline/injury history.

Juventus as well, how's Szczęsny doing?

Maybe Bayern I guess depending on how ruthless they want to be with Neuer and his recent decline/injury history.

Juventus as well, how's Szczęsny doing?

Sign Ronaldo but have wor Szczęsny in goal, makes no sense. Don't think Szczęsny, Can or Ramsey are good enough for their ambitions.