Jacob Murphy

Guest palnese

Of course they’re “entitled” to do what ever they want, it doesn’t mean it’s good for the team though. I have no problem with our fans berating players in the past who haven’t put the effort in, but jeering a player who worked hard and didn’t hide is counterproductive.

It also looks bad on the club. So many ex players have negative opinions of playing at st james’ park, do you think it’s more likely or less likely to encourage future players to decide to join us? Our fans have somehow developed a reputation  throughout world football as being the best in England, it’s important to maintain that.

Of course they’re “entitled” to do what ever they want, it doesn’t mean it’s good for the team though. I have no problem with our fans berating players in the past who haven’t put the effort in, but jeering a player who worked hard and didn’t hide is counterproductive.

It also looks bad on the club. So many ex players have negative opinions of playing at st james’ park, do you think it’s more likely or less likely to encourage future players to decide to join us? Our fans have somehow developed a reputation  throughout world football as being the best in England, it’s important to maintain that.

At no point have said that fans bewing is acceptable.  My point was that professional footballers should be mentally strong enough to play in front of tens of thousands of people.  If they aren't, then it's going to be a bit of an issue.

And how the fuck is some of our fans grumbling at Murphy being shit being compared with some racist twat throwing a banana on the pitch?!

Guest firetotheworks

At no point have said that fans bewing is acceptable.  My point was that professional footballers should be mentally strong enough to play in front of tens of thousands of people.  If they aren't, then it's going to be a bit of an issue.

And how the fuck is some of our fans grumbling at Murphy being shit being compared with some racist twat throwing a banana on the pitch?!

Because your point is that players should be thick skinned enough to deal with abuse, I'm saying that one person dealing with it well doesn't vindicate the abuse in the first place, then used the Dani Alves/Aubemayang examples. It doesn't work like that, you can't expect every player to deal with everything in the same way, fair enough if you're Obertan and can't handle anything, but jeering your substitution and hurling abuse at players in SJP and on their Twitter and Instagram is utterly rank behaviour and Perez or whoever else shouldn't be expected to be thick-skinned enough to deal with it just because someone else was 26 years ago.

And how the f*** is some of our fans grumbling at Murphy being s*** being compared with some racist t*** throwing a banana on the pitch?!

Because your point is that players should be thick skinned enough to deal with abuse, I'm saying that one person dealing with it well doesn't vindicate the abuse in the first place, then used the Dani Alves/Aubemayang examples. It doesn't work like that, you can't expect every player to deal with everything in the same way, fair enough if you're Obertan and can't handle anything, but jeering your substitution and hurling abuse at players in SJP and on their Twitter and Instagram is utterly rank behaviour and Perez or whoever else shouldn't be expected to be thick-skinned enough to deal with it just because someone else was 26 years ago.

Since when was groaning when a player cocks it up comparable to abuse on Twitter?! At no point have I said abusing players is fine.  You are desperate for me to say that though to try and validate your argument.

Abusing anyone is not fine.  We all know this, so stop trying to twist what I have said.

I'll repeat it once more as you seem to be struggling with the concept.  Players should be mentally tough enough to cope with the crowd groaning when things go badly.  This is core to being a professional sportsperson.

Guest firetotheworks

And how the f*** is some of our fans grumbling at Murphy being s*** being compared with some racist t*** throwing a banana on the pitch?!

Since when was groaning when a player cocks it up comparable to abuse on Twitter?! At no point have I said abusing players is fine.  You are desperate for me to say that though to try and validate your argument.

Abusing anyone is not fine.  We all know this, so stop trying to twist what I have said.

I'll repeat it once more as you seem to be struggling with the concept.  Players should be mentally tough enough to cope with the crowd groaning when things go badly.  This is core to being a professional sportsperson.

So why have you used someone throwing a pie as an example? :lol: Screaming moaners doesn't sound like the crowd groaning to me, there's an obvious difference.

So why have you used someone throwing a pie as an example? :lol: Screaming moaners doesn't sound like the crowd groaning to me, there's an obvious difference.

It was an example of a player overcoming criticism to become a valuable player.  You then turned things up to 11 by talking about racist abuse and the internet.

Very underwhelmed by his performance last night. There wasnt any tinge of excitement whenever he got the ball, you just felt like he wasnt gonna do anything with it and in truth, the one assist aside he did f all. Didnt look comfortable bringing the ball with his feet either, didnt look like he could beat a man, and didnt look like he had much pace. Perez came on and looked 10x the player. Even Atsu was trying and failing but Murphy is just very meh at the moment. Whatever it was that convinced Rafa to spend 14m on him issnt there atm and he needs to find it quick.

Guest firetotheworks

Throwing a pie is criticism? :lol: Howeh man, you know exactly what I mean. If you're genuinely on about the crowd just groaning, then I know what you mean too and it's crossed wires.

Throwing a pie is criticism? :lol: Howeh man, you know exactly what I mean. If you're genuinely on about the crowd just groaning, then I know what you mean too and it's crossed wires.

I'll cross your wires. :lol:

Now leave me alone.  I've got work to be getting on with that I've been avoiding doing...

Anyone else reckon Murphy is worth a run of games? I like his direct style, maybe Kenedy/Murphy on the wings with Ritchie as an option off the bench for a few games. Just think Murphy hasn't been given an awful lot of time since joining, yet we he comes in after long stints on the sidelines, he tends to provide us with an assist, or even that goal v City.

Yeah but I think he's better utilised away from home; no screaming moaners whenever he loses possession or makes a mistake and his pace on the break. Rafa needs to tell him to be direct and to run at his man, it's where his assists for us have come from. When he's getting down the line his crosses are decent, he has to stop putting his foot on top of the ball and turning in wide areas. It happened in the second half last night and it's frustrating as f***.

In 1992, a fan threw a pie at Mick Quinn who responded by picking it up and eating it.  If players now are so thin skinned that they aren't able to play without fans refusing to criticise their mistakes, they should probably stop collecting their thousands of pounds a week and find another job.

Not that I am one to bew, but I think fans who are forking out a small fortune to watch are probably entitled to grumble a bit when someone who is paid more in a week than they are in a year trips over the ball.

Arguably the fan was just doing Micky a solid, as his blood sugar was low on account of not gorging himself in the previous half-hour.

I reckon the only question is whether Murphy'll offer more from the bench than Atsu.

Our best wide players are Kenedy, then Ritchie. Ritchie never beats his man, but can whip it in low on a plate and does occasionally appear at the far post.

Very underwhelmed by his performance last night. There wasnt any tinge of excitement whenever he got the ball, you just felt like he wasnt gonna do anything with it and in truth, the one assist aside he did f all. Didnt look comfortable bringing the ball with his feet either, didnt look like he could beat a man, and didnt look like he had much pace. Perez came on and looked 10x the player. Even Atsu was trying and failing but Murphy is just very meh at the moment. Whatever it was that convinced Rafa to spend 14m on him issnt there atm and he needs to find it quick.

:thup:

I thought his fee was 12.5m, and he has never looked like an eight-figure player. Rafa's transfer business has generally been good (given the circumstances), but this one continues to baffle me. He's clearly not, and I don't think will ever be, a superior option to Ayoze.

I thought his fee was 12.5m, and he has never looked like an eight-figure player. Rafa's transfer business has generally been good (given the circumstances), but this one continues to baffle me. He's clearly not, and I don't think will ever be, a superior option to Ayoze.

Was he a Benitez pick, or did one of Ashley's underlings see him on YouTube?

He’s a good player, he’s just very raw and need a bit of guidance and most importantly, experience.

I think his brother benefited from staying at Norwich for a year and getting games with them before moving on. In hindsight we should probably have loaned him back to Norwich, but we did need a player in his position and did spend £14m on him, so it was never going to happen.

yeah his brother benefited from staying at norwich a  bit longer.

he then moved to club where he was almost a guaranteed first teamer so played with little pressure on him.

jacob moved to a much bigger club that also happened to be the team the team he and his parents supported. 50k demanding fans in a massive stadium. often having to come on late as a sub and only minutes to show what he could do.

Fair point - it sticks out like a sore thumb amongst our other transfer dealings.

Fair point - it sticks out like a sore thumb amongst our other transfer dealings.

I genuinely don't know who sanctioned the signing, but someone saw enough to drop 12.5m on him which wouldn't be done lightly.  I very much doubt it was done on his current ability, which appears to be League 1 standard, but perhaps someone thought he had lots of potential (little bit of pace, terrible footballing brain - can be developed).  I suspect that someone needs handing their P45 for wasting 12.5m...

His general game doesn't seem great but he does have an end product, which is arguably the most important part and the bit that's hardest to coach into a player.

TBH i'd rather have a player who looks a bit crap but creates and scores when he does play, than one who has loads of touches and looks busy/neat but does fuck all (Colback springs to mind).