Worst PL Game Ever Played

Mike

It had been going pretty well in the New Year up to April as well. We were on a decent run. Shearer signed a new deal then bang, the implosion was spectacular.

When Souness first arrived, our form was W9-D2-L1 until that crazy Fulham game. Then, as you say, between New Year and that crazy Villa game, the form was W12-D4-L2. All competitions, of course.

12 wins from 38 possible games until he completely lost the plot and Shepherd booted him. 32% win rate in that period. For fun, Bruce has 35%.

Fulham 0-1 Newcastle (Barton pen 90)

Yeah, I'd say this has to be up there and immediately came to mind.  I was at the game and I watched MOTD wondering how they'd get a highlights package together.  I think there were two in the first half. 

Guest neesy111

Yeah, the 9 league games after New Year we lost only 1, the 9 games after Shearer's new contract we won 1 in 9. The Cup runs we were beating good teams along the way too, not like Bruce's League 1-2 runs, we were beating Chelsea, Olympiakos, Spurs...weird season.

Souness had some bloody luck in that FA cup run.  Spurs absolutely battered us.

In terms of boring, either of the Fulham ones (at home or away both 0-0)

In terms of dogshit, Liverpool spanking us 6-0 under Pards or Pompey smashing us under Fat Sam.

Wigan 1-0 NUFC under Allardyce on Boxing Day was horrific.

3-0 defeat at home to Liverpool was utter gash. However, the worst under Allardyce had to be the defeat at Derby.

God, this thread is bringing back so many terrible memories.  Drove there and back on the day.  I think we had Viduka up top on his own, with nobody within 50 yards of him.  2 shots all game, nothing on target, Geremi and Alan Smith as wingers :lol:  Lost to another Ryan Taylor free kick.

I remember Ashley being sat near us and getting loads of fuss in the concourse at HT  :anguish:  First game I can think of when it got really toxic for Fat Sam.  Fans universally turned on him. 

In terms of boring, either of the Fulham ones (at home or away both 0-0)

In terms of dogshit, Liverpool spanking us 6-0 under Pards or Pompey smashing us under Fat Sam.

Wigan 1-0 NUFC under Allardyce on Boxing Day was horrific.

3-0 defeat at home to Liverpool was utter gash. However, the worst under Allardyce had to be the defeat at Derby.

God, this thread is bringing back so many terrible memories.  Drove there and back on the day.  I think we had Viduka up top on his own, with nobody within 50 yards of him.  2 shots all game, nothing on target, Geremi and Alan Smith as wingers :lol:  Lost to another Ryan Taylor free kick.

I remember Ashley being sat near us and getting loads of fuss in the concourse at HT  :anguish:  First game I can think of when it got really toxic for Fat Sam.  Fans universally turned on him. 

I was at that one. Utterly horrific. I'm sure the only chance we had was a standing overhead kick from the edge of the box by Viduka.

Yeah, the 9 league games after New Year we lost only 1, the 9 games after Shearer's new contract we won 1 in 9. The Cup runs we were beating good teams along the way too, not like Bruce's League 1-2 runs, we were beating Chelsea, Olympiakos, Spurs...weird season.

Souness had some bloody luck in that FA cup run.  Spurs absolutely battered us.

Would have taken a miracle to win it. Would have needed to beat Chelsea, Spurs, Man U & Arsenal. The top 3 plus Spurs who were just starting to evolve around this season.

I like how the Palace match prompted the creation of this thread, and True Faith had Luke Edwards on for an hour talking about how there were signs of improvement :lol:

The emphasis on results in football is staggeringly short sighted.

Not that long ago I would have tagged a certain user in response to this post, but I'm a changed man now :lol:

Yep, it's always about results, always has been. If we win our next game and Caulkin runs his polls again, the results would probably be quite different to those pre-Palace.

The vibe before Palace was very much 'he's had it': fans online seemingly united in their views of him, the usual suspects in the media coming out swinging for him, and allegations of unrest in the dressing room. Then we won and it's panic over.

The pressure gauge will just continually ossilate for as long as we're averaging a couple of wins every five games. The mood will start to fester until our better players or VAR digs us out now and again, and things calm down. Rinse and repeat, never under any sustained pressure.

Worst game as a spectacle has to be Burnley 1-0 Newcastle last season. Both teams trying to actively avoid the ball and it pissed it down with hailstones most of the match.

Worst performance would probably be Souness's extremely expensive first team getting beat 1-0 by Wigans reserves in the League Cup on 2005/06. Not the worst game because Wigan were actually very very good. Battered us all match. They won with a bit of an iffy penalty near the end and instead of being angry I was just relieved I didn't have to bother with watching 30 more minutes of that shit performance.

Worst game as a spectacle has to be Burnley 1-0 Newcastle last season. Both teams trying to actively avoid the ball and it pissed it down with hailstones most of the match.

Worst performance would probably be Souness's extremely expensive first team getting beat 1-0 by Wigans reserves in the League Cup on 2005/06. Not the worst game because Wigan were actually very very good. Battered us all match. They won with a bit of an iffy penalty near the end and instead of being angry I was just relieved I didn't have to bother with watching 30 more minutes of that shit performance.

Was 15 years ago yesterday.

Like the fixtures I've mentioned, our games with Brighton and Fulham are right showers of bastards.

I like how the Palace match prompted the creation of this thread, and True Faith had Luke Edwards on for an hour talking about how there were signs of improvement :lol:

The emphasis on results in football is staggeringly short sighted.

Aye, it's ridiculous. Me and my mates have been talking about it for years, and it's only getting worse. A last minute win when we've been dreadful for 89 minutes isn't going to make me think it was a good game ffs.

Can always tell when it’s going to be a shit game when shit central midfielders are inexplicably hoyed out on the wing by thick as fuck managers. Geremi and Smith, and mentioned above. That UEFA cup game when Bigi was shipped out to play RW by the king, and successive shit performances recently with Hendrick out there.

2007 Derby 1 - 0 Newcastle

Derby was looking really shit, they had lost 4-0 to Tottenham and 6-0 to Liverpool.

We had a new manager in Big Sam, had a very good first game against Bolton and had a few decent matches. This game was going to kickstart the season and get us flying with 3+ goal victory.. Instead we got glimps of how life would be under Big Sam.

Did we also draw with Derby at home? Think I was at that one.

Probably been to about 5 games at Fulham which qualify for this discussion as well.

We did indeed with a late equaliser (Viduka I think?).

So, 36.4% of the LOWEST ever Premier League points total came from Fat Sam's NUFC!

Did we also draw with Derby at home? Think I was at that one.

Probably been to about 5 games at Fulham which qualify for this discussion as well.

We did indeed with a late equaliser (Viduka I think?).

So, 36.4% of the LOWEST ever Premier League points total came from Fat Sam's NUFC!

Grim  :lol: