Fabian Schär

Noting the limitations of our fullbacks, is there any mileage in going for a back three of Schar/Lacellles/Fernandez?

And drop Yedlin? Big mistake imo, he's a very, very important player for us, his covering is invaluable. Dummett is also one of our more consistent performers, I'd like to stay in a back 4 and have our 4 centre backs fight it out for the two spots. It's a healthy situation to be in.

I'm guessing he means with Yedlin as a wing-back? His athleticism will work but yet again today he got into several good positions and his final ball was dreadful.

Noting the limitations of our fullbacks, is there any mileage in going for a back three of Schar/Lacellles/Fernandez?

And drop Yedlin? Big mistake imo, he's a very, very important player for us, his covering is invaluable. Dummett is also one of our more consistent performers, I'd like to stay in a back 4 and have our 4 centre backs fight it out for the two spots. It's a healthy situation to be in.

Yedlin has to be in the team, but I’d play him as a wing back. Maybe in a setup like this.

Dubravka

Schär    Fernandez    Lejeune

Yedlin/Ritchie                        Dummett/Kenedy

Diame              Ki                             

Shelvey                                           

Muto

Rondon

Yedlin has to be in the team, but I’d play him as a wing back. Maybe in a setup like this.

Dubravka

Schär    Fernandez    Lejeune

Yedlin/Ritchie                        Dummett/Kenedy

Diame              Ki                             

Shelvey                                           

Muto

Rondon

FWIW, my team would be the same but without Diame or Kenedy.

Has to be said he was a massive upgrade on Lascelles.

Beast and also very good on the ball.

While I like both our centre back signings this season, it's worth remembering our worst run of last season was when Lascelles was out. An ill advised comment in support of his employer doesn't mean he's become a bad player, we'll need him this season.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

Maybe a Schär/Lejeune partnership in January could be the way to go.

They're essentially the same player. Schar is meant to be a ball-playing CB, just as lejeune is. History tells us Rafa likes a traditional CB and a ball-player. I hope schar gets a run alongside Fernandez.

Yedlin got took apart at times today. He's very fast and committed but isn't a very good defender.

Ritchie didn't help him at all first half, mind. So often he was up against both Deulofeu and Holebas(?) together.

Ritchie did the exact same last season against Watford.  I thought he was pretty poor yesterday

Ritchie has been awful all season tbh

No he hasn't.

Sorry but he has. Works hard but offers nothing.

Agreed, Yedlin would do an equal if not better job if played in the same position. Plus you know he could track back if required.

If we signed a decent RB it would be interesting to see how Yedlin would fare as an all out attacking threat.. his pace would give defenders nightmares.

The most Ritchie does is charge down the right, do a little pirouette and then either play the ball back to defenders or to Shelvey (right beside the defenders)

He’s played one decent cross all season. Not good enough for a winger. Always have the feeling he’s going to get a booking every time he goes for the ball too.

He’s got that aggressive short man syndrome going on and no amount of shit haircuts will cover up the fact.

Ritchie has put in plenty of quality crosses this season, in amongst plenty of poor crosses. He’d be a lot more productive if we had strikers that made strikers’ runs.

Yedlin, on the other hand has terrible delivery (I would argue Dummett has a better cross) and also wouldn’t get the space he is afforded making forward runs as a right back, if played on the wing. I think any effectiveness he has would be nullified.