Kevin Keegan

pinkeye

Going back to what I said earlier about great away days at grounds with cowshed roofs, this is one of my best memories of the 92/93 promotion season. A beautiful early Autumn day, drinking in the beer gardens of the local pubs and just totally taking over the town before walking up to the ground. I was in almost the exact same spot that this was filmed from, albeit a bit lower down the terrace. I didnt even see the ball hit the net when Sheedy scored, so packed was the terrace, and just celebrated because everyone else was. lol. Think we were about 8 games into that 11 game winning run at the start of the season.

Vennaz and Brace were two magnificent signings! Very good on the pitch and both leaders on and off it!

Crazy to think Venison made his England debut two years after signing as a holding midfielder after signing as a right back!

The best days!

Going back to what I said earlier about great away days at grounds with cowshed roofs, this is one of my best memories of the 92/93 promotion season. A beautiful early Autumn day, drinking in the beer gardens of the local pubs and just totally taking over the town before walking up to the ground. I was in almost the exact same spot that this was filmed from, albeit a bit lower down the terrace. I didnt even see the ball hit the net when Sheedy scored, so packed was the terrace, and just celebrated because everyone else was. lol. Think we were about 8 games into that 11 game winning run at the start of the season.

Agreed, cracking away game that one. I was just to the left of the floodlight.

Excellent day. Had the hairs standing up on the back of my neck listening to the fans in that vid.

I watched that 91-92 review of the season.

Bloody hell, man. Not that i'd forgotten but the transformation from that season to the next was ridiculous.

Some of the defending and the fog in Ossie's last game :lol:

Probably sad and wrong as fuck here but seeing the sheer transformation in the club from between 1989 and 1991 to 1992 and 1997 and again from mediocrity between 97 and 2000 to Champions League football and outside contenders for the title from 01 to 04 makes me believe that this club is not like any other just like Keegan said in that Athletic article.  If we get taken over and everyone pulls in the same direction, there's no reason for this club not to spoil the 'big 6' party. We've done it on a lesser scale in the 90s and early 00s so there's no reason why we can't again.

Geez, look at that, Keegan inspiring someone who wasn't even conceived for the years he was manager. :lol: What a bloke.

Of course we can get there. Anyone with a solid starting position in the Premier League can; as long as they're ambitious and can manufacture the perfect storm of a good manager, good recruitment, good fortune and some momentum. It's difficult but not impossible.

Leicester City won the title in this era of superpowers, and could very easily finish as runners-up this season as well; meanwhile there's every chance two of the 'big 6' will not finish in the top 6. You'll always get the biggest teams there or thereabouts, but the 'apple cart' is barely even there to be upset. Certain stakeholders with visions of a profoundly different model of football may deviliously try to form a closed shop - and a status quo of elite clubs forever being in established positions - but the reality is, there isn't a status quo, hence the necessity for ideas like Project Big Picture. There's been successful teams, less successful teams, and unsuccessful teams. It's fluid and changeable, particularly when dynasties like Ferguson and Wenger are a thing of the past, and with auto-winners like Mourinho (and Klopp? :pow: ) very much having had their day.

If a 2021 equivalent of John Hall and Kevin Keegan came along I've no doubt we'd be competitive and not so aware of the bottom half. If you've got competitive backing and competent individuals involved in the daily operations, you'll be fine, with every chance of competing for honours (CL qualification included). All the more reason why it's so fucking frustrating that, in May 2018, we decided - whilst being stood on the springboard - we'd tumble back down the stairs instead. Horrible fucking club.

Excellent day. Had the hairs standing up on the back of my neck listening to the fans in that vid.

Every fan in that stand is doing the salute and joining in the songs. You might get that at away grounds these days, but St James these days is more like day at Lords for a test match. Flasks of tea and packed lunches in between the naps.

Imagine the atmosphere if we get taken over and he’s invited back. He’d lift the club 10 stories higher just by planting his arse in The Milburn posh seats.

It wouldn't be nowhere near like what it was back then though. Times have changed, and so has your average NUFC fan.

Imagine the atmosphere if we get taken over and he’s invited back. He’d lift the club 10 stories higher just by planting his arse in The Milburn posh seats.

It wouldn't be nowhere near like what it was back then though. Times have changed, and so has your average NUFC fan.

Perhaps PIF could get the radgies back in by charging £30 for a season ticket. Accent test on the gate.

Certainly has you wouldn’t get a convoy of lads in transit vans piling down the motorways these days. Our away support was mental, used to be buzzing all week in the lead up to an away day.

Certainly has you wouldn’t get a convoy of lads in transit vans piling down the motorways these days. Our away support was mental, used to be buzzing all week in the lead up to an away day.

It was the 92/93 season when I started going to away games regularly with my dad. I would have been 14 at the time and I'll freely admit that some of the things I seen going on back then absolutely petrified me. Our crowd just seemed jam packed full of complete lunatics!

Would give anything to have experienced that season. Posted about it before, if I experience anything remotely similar to 1993-94 I'll die a very happy Newcastle supporter.

I was 8 for the 93 season. My first memories of NUFC I think, not being able to see them in D1 the year before. Memories are fleeting but I absolutely remember Allen's swinging arm celebrations. Seems like he scored every time he played. Dont think he finished the season though. 94/95 is the first full season I remember. I can still feel the excitement, the expectation, the achievement of being in Europe. I was only 9 and it totally consumed me. It was everything.

Would give anything to have experienced that season. Posted about it before, if I experience anything remotely similar to 1993-94 I'll die a very happy Newcastle supporter.

I was 8 for the 93 season. My first memories of NUFC I think, not being able to see them in D1 the year before. Memories are fleeting but I absolutely remember Allen's swinging arm celebrations. Seems like he scored every time he played. Dont think he finished the season though. 94/95 is the first full season I remember. I can still feel the excitement, the expectation, the achievement of being in Europe. I was only 9 and it totally consumed me. It was everything.

The idea of coming up to the Premier League, first time in the top league since 1989, nothing can stop us but there's no real expectations is just both alien and phenomenal to me. Some of the scorelines that we won by that season are frankly ridiculous. :lol:

Cole and Beardsley up front, over 60 goals between the two of them, just fucking hell. Someone make a time machine pls. :lol:

• 2 months later...