On this day...

Tooj

Guest neesy111

Have we ever had three more random scorers?! I forgot how good the 3rd was!

[tweet]1297392178730274818[/tweet]?s=21

That was our first game at 52k capacity.  My first as a season ticket holder.

Was that the first game the East Stand had been redeveloped as well with the boxes being removed?

Would've been aye.

From .com

First impressions of the stadium once inside were of its expected vastness but comparative brightness, due to the materials used to construct the roof allowing the maximum natural light in. By contrast, the single tier corners of the Gallowgate and Leazes ends constructed in the mid-90's with solid roof structures seemed gloomy, even on a fine evening such as this.

Support from the crowd was slightly less than the full-frontal sonic assault predicted by many, but a few pedestrians in the Haymarket no doubt wondered why they could hear what sounded like a jet engine at around 7.49pm, when Cort popped the ball in the Leazes net.Our early dominance petered out and things quietened down as the first half wore on, with a late equaliser for the Rams prompting some booing on the halftime whistle.

Two quick goals in the second period livened things up considerably, and a couple of raucous renditions of "The Blaydon Races" were supported by all four sides of the ground, including the upper echelons of the Milburn, quite frankly sounded bloody marvellous.

So, good in parts, but the true depth of passion and support that can still be produced by a geordie crowd in times of need wasn't displayed tonight. When it does, that promises to be truly memorable.

Sums up SJP at 52k really, that. That season was also the season during which I was born. First Newcastle game of my existence was a 2-0 defeat at Derby. Heady days then.

Got me looking up the first game of my existence. Turns out it was first game of the 84/85 season, 3-2 win at Leicester. Lineker scored two, Carney, McCreery & Waddle for Newcastle.

Got me looking now. If including friendlies it was 1-0 against Walsall in July '89. But the first competitive game of 89/90 was Micky Quinn's four goals in the Leeds 5-2 so I'll go with that.

Probably one for the daft questions thread, but speaking of SJP, why were attendances so low in the first half of 2010-11? We've had much higher gates during worse seasons with worse players and results. Always found it a bit bizarre, like scraping 41,000 v Blackburn and Stoke.

Probably one for the daft questions thread, but speaking of SJP, why were attendances so low in the first half of 2010-11? We've had much higher gates during worse seasons with worse players and results. Always found it a bit bizarre, like scraping 41,000 v Blackburn and Stoke.

The season before was the champo season and 41k was around our average that season so it probably took a while for attendances to pick back up from there. Plus we didn’t really make any decent signings that summer if I remember right.

Got me looking up the first game of my existence. Turns out it was first game of the 84/85 season, 3-2 win at Leicester. Lineker scored two, Carney, McCreery & Waddle for Newcastle.

Nice idea- just did the same.

Typically it is a 3-0 defeat away at Manchester United the day after I was born, Frank Stapleton with two and Mark Hughes with the third.

I was there,  Leicester that is.

Zero recollection of this game, despite having just checked and definitely being there. I'll blame the weather. :lol:

Simpler times, what I'd give for a bit of negative Rafaball.

That ball by Mikel - loved him!

Guest neesy111

How has Merino been getting on at Sociedad. The arrival of David Silva can’t do much for his chances of minutes?

He was in La Liga's team of the season and got called up the Spain squad.

Guest neesy111

A real shame we couldn't convince Merino to stay.  So much better than the likes of Shelvey - we could have really built a team around him.

Yeap, however I do think he's playing much better now as he got homesick a lot when he was with us and Dortmund.