Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

Don’t you guys get tired of Ronaldo vs Messi?

It got tiring years ago, part of me will be happy when both retire so football can collectively move on from both.

I’m enjoying both now more than ever perhaps.

It’s similar Tom Federer, Serena, Nadal, Djokovic. I’m beyond the point of comparisons. In the twilight I’m enjoying the masters at work. Not sure when i’ll See the likes again.  Knowing it’s the autumn of their careers.

Messi is an artist and Ronaldo is a machine.

If you were a team mate and rounded the keeper and rolled it in Messi would run back to the half way line and Ronaldo would steam in and boot it in and take the goal off you. :lol:

We are truly blessed to have seen both of these wonderful players play.

For the record I prefer Ronaldo as his intensity, belief and ability to transcend different leagues make him just slightly better in my book.

That does not mean I do not appreciate the brilliance of Messi.

It is possible to like them both!

This is definitely a myth too like. :lol: Ronaldo has 219 assists. While I think Messi is better, there is very, very little between them.

A myth despite him regularly kicking off with teammates whenever they steal 'his' goals or they don't pass to him.

219 assists is incredible but in the context of Messi's 270 in 150 fewer appearances it backs up Boo Boy's point.

No idea why there's even a comparison at all tbh, goal scoring aside it's laughable that to me that anyone sees him as being up there with Messi. And yet I can't help but talk about it.

Everyone that thinks Messi is far better seems to always say this. Goals are pretty fucking important. :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

Messi is an artist and Ronaldo is a machine.

If you were a team mate and rounded the keeper and rolled it in Messi would run back to the half way line and Ronaldo would steam in and boot it in and take the goal off you. :lol:

We are truly blessed to have seen both of these wonderful players play.

For the record I prefer Ronaldo as his intensity, belief and ability to transcend different leagues make him just slightly better in my book.

That does not mean I do not appreciate the brilliance of Messi.

It is possible to like them both!

This is definitely a myth too like. :lol: Ronaldo has 219 assists. While I think Messi is better, there is very, very little between them.

A myth despite him regularly kicking off with teammates whenever they steal 'his' goals or they don't pass to him.

219 assists is incredible but in the context of Messi's 270 in 150 fewer appearances it backs up Boo Boy's point.

No idea why there's even a comparison at all tbh, goal scoring aside it's laughable that to me that anyone sees him as being up there with Messi. And yet I can't help but talk about it.

Everyone that thinks Messi is far better seems to always say this. Goals are pretty fucking important. :lol:

Yeah and Ronaldo's on the same level as Messi with goal scoring. That's why I said goal scoring aside I think it's laughable that there's even a comparison.

It got tiring years ago, part of me will be happy when both retire so football can collectively move on from both.

Went to see Argentina v Panama in the Copa America a few years ago in Chicago. There were more people there for that game than for the US game, and so many were there just to see Messi. Aye it was part of the attraction for me as I'd seen Aguero and that before. Messi started on the bench, you've got all these other class Argentineans playing and fans are just chanting for Messi. It was really fuckin annoying, they were there to see one man.

(Then tbf he came on and scored a hat-trick off the bench, first time he'd done that).

So aye, it annoys me. I appreciate them as players, but this personal brand thing seems to me to be new with them. Lots of other great players have been hyped, but with them so many seem more interested in them than a team. I hate that and reckon it will live on with other players once they're gone.

Guest firetotheworks

Went to see Argentina v Panama in the Copa America a few years ago in Chicago. There were more people there for that game than for the US game, and so many were there just to see Messi. Aye it was part of the attraction for me as I'd seen Aguero and that before. Messi started on the bench, you've got all these other class Argentineans playing and fans are just chanting for Messi. It was really fuckin annoying, they were there to see one man.

(Then tbf he came on and scored a hat-trick off the bench, first time he'd done that).

So aye, it annoys me. I appreciate them as players, but this personal brand thing seems to me to be new with them. Lots of other great players have been hyped, but with them so many seem more interested in them than a team. I hate that and reckon it will live on with other players once they're gone.

Well there ye gan. :lol:

I get your point though. It doesn't annoy me, in fact I'm completely guilty of it where Messi's concerned, but it's definitely consigned to him alone, there's no one other player I'd watch a match for really.

The Messi v Ronaldo thing does annoy me though even though I take part in it on here, but more just that they're even seen as being on the same level more than anything.

This is a nice read:

https://mundialmag.com/blogs/gazzetta/max-porter-crystal-palace-wilfried-zaha-eagles

I stand in the rain, watching them play, buying my son all that nylon crap, listening as he talks about Palace. He talks about it constantly. For a long time I listened and found it kind of annoying if I’m honest, my son going on and on about the emotional toll Luka Milivojević endured when leaving Olympiacos, because, fundamentally, I did not give a shit.

For midweek games with an after-bedtime final whistle, my son would ask me to write D, W, or L on his hand so he could find out what happened the second he woke up. And I’d find myself writing ‘W’ on his clammy little hand, attempting to add, in tiny letters, ‘Benteke, 86th min’ underneath and, in the morning, he’d come in with pen all over his face, a black smudge on his hand. ‘Well?’

Guest Howaythetoon

How is Sir Bobby lower than Simeone and Klopp? Sir bobby won trophies in 4 different countries, managed at international level, has a World Cup semi-final on his CV, won domestic and European silverware, was a manager over 4 decades, was renowned for developing youth, played attacking attractive football, managed some of the biggest and most diverse players in the world, is credited as being some kind of mentor/major influence to two current successful managers in Mourinho and Guardiola and is England’s most successful manager to have managed abroad. He first become a manager at a very young age, while still a player, and in Canada of all places. What he did at Ipswich was ground breaking at the time and globally, he has had such a big impact on the game. He should be much higher up than either Klopp or Simeone for starters and if Busby is listed so high Bobby should be above him as well.

How is Sir Bobby lower than Simeone and Klopp? Sir bobby won trophies in 4 different countries, managed at international level, has a World Cup semi-final on his CV, won domestic and European silverware, was a manager over 4 decades, was renowned for developing youth, played attacking attractive football, managed some of the biggest and most diverse players in the world, is credited as being some kind of mentor/major influence to two current successful managers in Mourinho and Guardiola and is England’s most successful manager to have managed abroad. He first become a manager at a very young age, while still a player, and in Canada of all places. What he did at Ipswich was ground breaking at the time and globally, he has had such a big impact on the game. He should be much higher up than either Klopp or Simeone for starters and if Busby is listed so high Bobby should be above him as well.

Even without black and white tinted specs you've got to admit Bobby is one of if not the greatest English manager there has been.