Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

Really looking forward to Shelvey coming back.

He'll play long balls back to the opposition and fail to cover people defensively leaving us even more vulnerable at the back.

It's really surprising people now imagine him to be an answer to our problems.

There is no player that is an answer to our problems under this manager.

He may not be the answer to our problems but the previous post is correct.  He is the best passer of a ball we have.  You do realise he is our top goal scorer don't you?

He'll play long balls back to the opposition and fail to cover people defensively leaving us even more vulnerable at the back.

He may not be the answer to our problems but the previous post is correct.  He is the best passer of a ball we have.  You do realise he is our top goal scorer don't you?

Yeah, I do realise he is our top scorer, and I absolutely do not expect that to be a continued theme whatsoever.

Similar to the way all those defender goals have dried up, I expect the same to be the case with Shelvey. That was not typical at all what he was doing earlier this season.

We have regressed to the norm and it is all downhill from here folks. It's a wrap.

Yeah, I do realise he is our top scorer, and I absolutely do not expect that to be a continued theme whatsoever.

Similar to the way all those defender goals have dried up, I expect the same to be the case with Shelvey. That was not typical at all what he was doing earlier this season.

We have regressed to the norm and it is all downhill from here folks. It's a wrap.

I'll put money on us getting a result shortly after Shelvey comes back from injury.

I'll put money on us getting a result shortly after Shelvey comes back from injury.

:lol:

Okay. Don't bet too much of that money though.

Guest neesy111

Show's how much we've regressed that Shelvey is an important player now.  Last season most of of best form came when he wasn't playing.

Guest neesy111

Show's how much we've regressed that Shelvey is an important player now.  Last season most of of best form came when he wasn't playing.

Last season we didn't have the Premier League's worst manager presiding over our demise

I agree.

As shite as it is, Hayden has to play. He can at least sort of run and kind of tackle. Two CMs without that is a recipe for regular humpings.

He’s shite as well, how bad are we where the thought of Hayden playing is considered making us better. He’s the ultimate nothing player, at least a Shelvey who is turbo shit can pass and get the odd goal in 30 games.

Championship midfield at best, Championship squad no doubt. Almiron, the ‘keeper Schar and Fernandez aside. The rest are shite. It’s remarkable what Rafa achieved with them.

See my reply above. I don't want a CM who only operates in a small area of the pitch because he's either too lazy or just not fit for purpose. I'd pick Hayden every time over Shelvey or Bentaleb. And I agree, Hatden's not good enough.

That's really naive and obviously born out of a personal grudge towards the player. It's no coincidence our ability to create, score and win has gone completely since Shelvey has been injured. He's comfortably the best CM we have and he's the only player in the squad capable of playing a defence splitting pass. Without him we're left with 4 workmanlike CMs who contribute absolutely fuck all offensively to our play. Like him or not, Shelvey is an absolutely key player.

I actually think Bentaleb is a very good passer of the ball, if I had a grudge against Shelvey, I would have been bigging up Bentaleb. I simply don't like central midfielders who don't have an engine, both of those lack athleticism, so their lack of workrate means we get overrun in midfield constantly. Yes they can produce the odd nice pass, but since we don't have the ball for most of the game, that doesn't happen too much.

Bentaleb may be a good passer of the ball but he definitely hasn't shown that for us as of yet. He's had some absolute shockers, putting simple looking passes out for throw ins and generally miles away from the intended target

Bentaleb may be a good passer of the ball but he definitely hasn't shown that for us as of yet. He's had some absolute shockers, putting simple looking passes out for throw ins and generally miles away from the intended target

I think he has shown some good passing, but yes he has looked off the pace as well and he's got caught on the ball. Some put that down to not having played much football in the past few months. Either way, I'm not really bothered, I can only call what I see, at this point he looks like Shelvey, not much energy or running. I said before I prefer midfielders in the mould of Jordan Henderson who are constantly involved and generally getting up and down the pitch and looking busy.

Disclaimer: I haven't watched a lot of your games. My views are based on limited viewing.

He looked like the next quality English midfield talent after the City game last year. He looks woeful in the couple of games I have seen of him this year.

I wouldn't blame him. It is more of a function of the coaching setup at Newcastle. Young talents need to be carefully nurtured tactically. That is even more important for midfield players. Even the great Xavi's value was not truly recognized until Guardiola took over. Rafa understood Longstaff's strength and weakness and provided him very clear instructions on what to do in different phases of play. I am sure Rafa designed drills and made Longstaff go through them day in day out so that certain things became second nature for him. Also last year, your forwards defended from the front and ran the channels brilliantly opening up passing lanes for your midfield players and making them look twice as good.

See a lot of parallels with Henderson under Klopp and Henderson for England. He is not a naturally talented midfielder like Alonso. But he is crucial to the way we play and that is mainly because of Klopp who recognized his strengths and weaknesses and designed a system to maximize his impact.

Regarding Longstaff, the next person who coaches him is key for his career. If it is a PFM, then most likely there is going to be a slide down the leagues as his career progresses. If it is someone who values coaching, improving players tactically and physically, then he can be a very effective premier league midfielder at the very least, if not higher.

Rafa's ability to improve players is probably one of the top 5 most impressive/important things we've lost by his leaving. It was absolutely farcical how good Hayden and Longstaff looked in the centre of midfield in the second half of last season.

Disclaimer: I haven't watched a lot of your games. My views are based on limited viewing.

He looked like the next quality English midfield talent after the City game last year. He looks woeful in the couple of games I have seen of him this year.

I wouldn't blame him. It is more of a function of the coaching setup at Newcastle. Young talents need to be carefully nurtured tactically. That is even more important for midfield players. Even the great Xavi's value was not truly recognized until Guardiola took over. Rafa understood Longstaff's strength and weakness and provided him very clear instructions on what to do in different phases of play. I am sure Rafa designed drills and made Longstaff go through them day in day out so that certain things became second nature for him. Also last year, your forwards defended from the front and ran the channels brilliantly opening up passing lanes for your midfield players and making them look twice as good.

See a lot of parallels with Henderson under Klopp and Henderson for England. He is not a naturally talented midfielder like Alonso. But he is crucial to the way we play and that is mainly because of Klopp who recognized his strengths and weaknesses and designed a system to maximize his impact.

Regarding Longstaff, the next person who coaches him is key for his career. If it is a PFM, then most likely there is going to be a slide down the leagues as his career progresses. If it is someone who values coaching, improving players tactically and physically, then he can be a very effective premier league midfielder at the very least, if not higher.

Oh that Bwuce saw it as clear as you do...sadly no hope of that as he's called Bwuce rather than Rafa.

from being compared to michael carrick, england's next big prospect, linked with man united in the summer to struggling to put together passes and looking bang average at best - nice work Mike Ashley/Steve Bruce!

• 6 months later...

Thought he looked extremely poor again last night.

I think a loan move would be the best option. Dipping in and out of the team now and then isn’t going to get him out of this slump.

Get him playing regularly in the championship then reassess at the end of the season. I’d rather see Matty get his opportunity when he’s fit.