C*CK P*SS P*RDEW

themanupstairs

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No, he hasn't been eaten alive by a Komodo dragon.

I happened across an article on Brentford's recruitment strategy, which strangely enough covered Pardew's 2011-12 5th place finish. This is nothing people on here haven't indicated previously, but it's interesting that others have used data to confirm as much:

The Perfect Marriage

Ankersen and Benham were able to see how the reduced amount of goals in football leads to a huge variability and randomness in the actual results that occur. This often times can be at odds with the underlying performance indicators of a team or player.

The combination of Ankersen’s ideas of context and Benham’s exception ability to generate meaningful data, meant that Brentford were able to decipher the complexity of football better than most. Brentford have been equipped to sort through the randomness of football and therefore make better decisions. They use statistics such as expected goals and assists, shot percentage, shot differentials and conversion rates. Just to name a few of the ones we are even aware of.

The League table always lies

We can all agree that as far as poor football decisions go, giving Alan Pardew a six-year contract is close to the top of the pile. Using Benham’s betting projection algorithms, they took a detailed look into Newcastle’s astonishing 2011/12 season in which they finished in fifth place. On face value, the performance that year from Newcastle was outstanding and worthy of an improved contract. However, when looking at the underlying statistics, the duo were able to point out that Newcastle had hit a purple patch over the year and performed way over the odds. Benham used expected points. This is a statistic developed to predict the outcome of football matches for his betting company.

Screen-Shot-2019-05-23-at-20.42.34.png?resize=696%2C424&ssl=1

The red line indicates expected points and the black line actual points. We can see here how Newcastle over-performed in the 2011-12 season.

One of the key factors in this was Papiss Cisse producing a shot conversation rate of 33%, better than Lionel Messi’s 20% at the time. Furthermore, Newcastle had both goal differences and shot differentials completely at odds with the surrounding teams at the top of the table.

Screen-Shot-2019-05-23-at-20.39.26.png?resize=696%2C394&ssl=1

These factors were seen as the key reasons given for their subsequent ‘underperformances’ the next year. However, it was not actually a case of underperforming. Rather, Newcastle regressed to their mean over the next year finishing 16th. This type of process is fundamental to Brentford and how they use data in order to understand the context before making decisions.

https://footballbh.net/2019/05/28/brentford-championship-tactical-analysis-statistics-analysis/

Let's play manager roulette. If you absolutely had to, rank these 7 managers in order of who you would most like to see managing Newcastle United right now, first to last:

Steve Bruce

Steve McClaren

John Carver

Alan Pardew

Joe Kinnear

Sam Allardyce

and the wildcard entrant...

Tony Pulis

Let's play manager roulette. If you absolutely had to, rank these 7 managers in order of who you would most like to see managing Newcastle United right now, first to last:

Steve Bruce

Steve McClaren

John Carver

Alan Pardew

Joe Kinnear

Sam Allardyce

Tony Pulis

From that miserable list, I'd probably have Bruce, even though I'm pretty sure he's going to be useless.

Steve Bruce

Steve McClaren

John Carver

Alan Pardew

Joe Kinnear

Sam Allardyce

Tony Pulis

xH26M3C.gif

Pulis

Allardyce

Pardew

Bruce

Gamma Ray Burst

McClaren

Kinnear

Carver

Steve Bruce

Steve McClaren

John Carver

Alan Pardew

Joe Kinnear

Sam Allardyce

Tony Pulis

Pulis

Big sam

Pardew

Mclaren

Kinnear

Carver

Bruce

Would take him back over Bruce.

:lol: I dunno like. Bruce is many things, but is he Pardew level of scummy cunt? Nah. And Pardew certainly doesn't have any better managerial credentials.

The king has a pl 5th place. Also had West Ham playing better stuff than any Bruce team has. Gave me some great European away days and didn't pretend to be a Newcastle fan. Oh and he's not a mackem. Oh and he didn't call manure " united "

And he's not a grotesque mess. Aye I'm no fan of the king but f*** me I would have him over this fat mackem shithead anyday

Pardew is a cunt. No way I’d want him over Bruce.

I don’t want Bruce mind and I’m not interested in Ashley FC any more until Ashley has gone. But I can’t let that Pardew comment go by unanswered.

Kinnear probably has the best record of the lot of them. Which says a lot.

He did better at Wimbledon than any of the rest of them have managed anywhere bar McClown once a Boro, with healthy financial backing admittedly. Wimbledon under Kinnear were never near getting relegated.

Carver's the worst. Not one of them had any business managing NUFC and here we are, Tony Pullis away from completing the set.

Kinnear probably has the best record of the lot of them. Which says a lot.

He did better at Wimbledon than any of the rest of them have managed anywhere bar McClown once a Boro, with healthy financial backing admittedly. Wimbledon under Kinnear were never near getting relegated.

Carver's the worst. Not one of them had any business managing NUFC and here we are, Tony Pullis away from completing the set.

Bollcoks  :lol: winning the league cup with boro and Dutch league with twente as well as making a European final is better than anything kinnear done. Same as coming 5th, a European quarter final and 2 FA cup finals are