England

Yorkie

For me, Alli is a good player but pretty limited.  He’s got decent technical ability and makes good runs from deep but he’s nowhere near as effective for England because we don’t have an Eriksen to pick him out.  I’d much rather someone like Lingard started who’s more mobile and can find pockets or space better, Ross Barkley even.  As for converting him to a DM, i don’t see many attributes in him to be a good player there.

Think this is a little bit of a disservice to alli. He links up play well and can make that late run into the box which the likes of Barkley and chamberlain can’t. Good in the air, good on the ball and can be a tough tackler. Not as effective for England as spurs as we are more of a counter attaching side but definitely should be in the squad and arguably a starter.

Bit of a confidence player as well and I don’t think coming off the bench is his forte

Agree with HTT post also sterling is more crucial to england

So say we won this Nations League play off in the summer then failed to qualify for Euro 2020 through the Euro 2020 qualifiers. Would we automatically qualify because we won the Nations League and thus won the Group A play offs, or would we have to play the Group A play offs again?

So say we won this Nations League play off in the summer then failed to qualify for Euro 2020 through the Euro 2020 qualifiers. Would we automatically qualify because we won the Nations League and thus won the Group A play offs, or would we have to play the Group A play offs again?

Nations League play-off is after the Euro 2020 qualifiers. Teams that won their groups in the NL and fail to qualify through the Euro Qualifiers get another chance in the NL play-offs. If teams that won their group qualify through the Euro Qualifiers, the spot in the NL play-offs go to other teams. The NL "winners" tournament are independent of the play-offs for the Euro.

Nations League play-off is after the Euro 2020 qualifiers.

Aye but the finals for Group A is in the summer.

Added more to my post :thup:

The finals for the nations league not the playoffs mate

So if we won it we could still potentially have to play those teams again in order to qualify through a tournament that we have already won against opponents we have already played and beaten?

So if we won it we could still potentially have to play those teams again in order to qualify through a tournament that we have already won against opponents we have already played and beaten?

Well we could have to play in playoffs to get to the euros if we don’t qualify for the euros yes.

The nations league as a tournament and as a back foot to the euros are 2 separate things

It also decides the seeding for the euro qualifiers

A massive success I would say

Well we could have to play in playoffs to get to the euros if we don’t qualify for the euros yes.

The nations league as a tournament and as a back foot to the euros are 2 separate things

One of the main reasons they listed for creating it was to give teams a chance to qualify for the Euro’s. They have made it theoretically possible that you could win the tournament and still not qualify.

One of the main reasons they listed for creating it was to give teams a chance to qualify for the Euro’s. They have made it theoretically possible that you could win the tournament and still not qualify.

True still way better than meaningless friendlies though, created quite a few exciting games and the players seemed up for it

True still way better than meaningless friendlies though, created quite a few exciting games and the players seemed up for it

I’m not saying it’s not better than meaningless friendlies. I just think that in the case of Group A winners, the winners of the Group A winners should gain that qualification place instead of having another play off round which could consist of the same teams. If as expected the Nations League winner does qualify for the Euro’s through the ordinary qualification rounds, then by all means then pass our play off place down to someone else.

Means we're guaranteed one of Georgia, FYR Macedonia, Kosovo or Belarus will make the Euros. I'm all for that.

I’m not saying it’s not better than meaningless friendlies. I just think that in the case of Group A winners, the winners of the Group A winners should gain that qualification place instead of having another play off round which could consist of the same teams. If as expected the Nations League winner does qualify for the Euro’s through the ordinary qualification rounds, then by all means then pass our play off place down to someone else.

I guess then though the whole of the qualification process would be pointless,

The nations league leading to less pointless games then creating 10 pointless qualifiers would then go against the point of it all

I guess then though the whole of the qualification process would be pointless,

The nations league leading to less pointless games then creating 10 pointless qualifiers would then go against the point of it all

How would it be pointless? It’s not like anyone would be losing out, it’s just preventing the most worthy team in the competition doesn’t lose out.

Guest Howaythetoon

What I will say about Dele Ali is I think he’s a big game player or has that type of mentality. I think he’s someone if the game turned scrappy and become physical and bitty, he wouldn’t be overwhelmed by that or crumble. He’s someone who would roll up his sleeves and be able to more than compete. He’s also a match winner who can produce the goods even if he’s having a shit game. It’s also a test of the manager to find a place for the better players in his team that gets the best out of them without detracting from the team. That’s a test Southgate faces with a number of players.

Right now though, again, I don’t think Dele Ali is so good, that’s warranted. I rate Barkley as well and highly too, but I don’t think he’s a good fit right now either nor so good his inclusion is a must or is someone who can be such a difference he merits a place over others, even those less talented.

I’d have Lingard ahead of both and Oxlaide-Chamberlain and Lallana are even more suited to this system and way of playing. What Southgate has done though is developed a system, style of play and a set of tactics that allows these players to come in and be a part of that in a more seamless fashion where we are not seeing square pegs in round holes that so many previous managers lined up with a midfield of Lampard, Scholes, Gerrard or Becknam or went into tournaments where we had to rely on one of the more outstanding individuals.

As good as Kane is and as important as he is, for example, the way we play I don’t think he’s as critical as a Beckham was or a Shearer, Owen or Rooney to their respective teams.

Not to the system, style of play or our set of tactics anyway which means someone like a Calumn Wilson can come in and do a likewise job and because of how we play, get a decent standard of service to be a goal threat. If not him a Rasford or Wellbeck as CF.

Our key player, however, and almost a player so crucial to the system, style and tactics we don’t really have anyone else to replace with is Sterling who despite his poor goal return in an England shirt gives us so much and even when not scoring, is such a threat he’s always going to give you a chance of a goal or an assist at least as transpired at the World Cup where he could have had 3 or more goals to his name easily and should of.

He’s so important to England’s game, if only we had a Silva in the team. Find that kind of player and a dominant CB as good defensively as he is on the ball in the way van Dyke is and we’d be complete.

But then what we lack that others have, they lack what we have, regardless we have a good team with a good selection of players and a good selection coming through who play good football or are capable of under a good manager with the potential to get better and improve as players and as a manager.

It’s kind of exciting and for once I’m more than just interested in how things pan out or which player makes the cut or not and those coming through. And how Southgate develops as well. The future is very bright on the face of such evidence.

I’m an England fan once again and it’s been a long time coming and just the tonic I need right now where I’ve never been so down about my own club and the game, so long may it continue.

What’s happening with England right now for me in terms of football is far more interesting than what’s happening at NUFC and in the PL that’s for sure. The Dele Ali debate is more interesting than any debate over one of our own players even.

As good as Kane is and as important as he is, for example, the way we play I don’t think he’s as critical as a Beckham was or a Shearer, Owen or Rooney to their respective teams.

I guess that means the WC "England is a one-man team" narrative didn't get much of a run in Old Blighty? Of course, it was still coming home then.