Author Topic: Potential Materialism: The "What I might buy" Thread  (Read 359523 times)

Offline neesy111

• General Member
  • Prontonise
Re: Potential Materialism: The "What I might buy" Thread
« Reply #7750 on: Wednesday 13 June 2018, 08:42:04 am »
Anyone with a Tassimo coffee machine?  Worth it?

Offline gdm

• General Member
« Reply #7751 on: Wednesday 13 June 2018, 08:44:14 am »

Ive got one. Hardly use it tbh.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • You might still see them in the desert
« Reply #7752 on: Wednesday 13 June 2018, 08:46:15 am »
Get a proper coffee machine and be freed from the expensive constraints of what coffee makers want to put in pods :)  Alternatively, if you don't drink that much coffee, get a moka pot :thup:

I drink shedloads of coffee and tbh when my machine breaks I think I'll just stick with a moka pot in the future; doesn't produce the crema/froth that a machine does, but tastes just as good if not better and smells phenomenal in the couple of seconds before it starts to produce coffee.

Online NEEJ

• General Member
« Reply #7753 on: Wednesday 13 June 2018, 08:52:52 am »
They're rubbish. Nespresso is far superior, worth having a look if you can get a cheap one somewhere. Like OpenC says though, a moka pot is a good shout.

Offline Jimburst

• General Member
  • Yeah Buddy!
« Reply #7754 on: Wednesday 13 June 2018, 09:04:55 am »
Get a proper coffee machine and be freed from the expensive constraints of what coffee makers want to put in pods :)  Alternatively, if you don't drink that much coffee, get a moka pot :thup:

I drink shedloads of coffee and tbh when my machine breaks I think I'll just stick with a moka pot in the future; doesn't produce the crema/froth that a machine does, but tastes just as good if not better and smells phenomenal in the couple of seconds before it starts to produce coffee.

:thup: I hated coffee until I got my lass a moka pot, the stuff it produces is f***ing awesome, plus you can get a really good one for about 25 quid. Super quick too.
A splatterhouse turd done in the manky toilets of a discotheque, brought on my the consumption of cowies or toot.

Offline Lowndsy

• (Spennymag)
  • General Member
« Reply #7755 on: Wednesday 13 June 2018, 09:20:02 am »
Thinking about buying a treadmill for my house. However don’t want to pay “too much” it’ll only be used in small periods of time and not likely at full pelt etc. Anyone bought one before and found a decent one for less than £500 ?? Ideally around £350-400

Online Kid Icarus

• General Member
« Reply #7756 on: Wednesday 13 June 2018, 09:29:24 am »
We got one for free and it still hasn't been worth it. [emoji38] They're nice if you get the right pods, but they're pricey and considering they're supposed to be convenient, they're a faff to recycle. We've gone back to a French press and will probably go for one of those air press things when we get around to it.
{o,o}
|)__)
-“-“-

Offline neesy111

• General Member
  • Prontonise
« Reply #7757 on: Wednesday 13 June 2018, 09:51:14 am »
They're rubbish. Nespresso is far superior, worth having a look if you can get a cheap one somewhere. Like OpenC says though, a moka pot is a good shout.

Ok cheers.

Might just get something like this.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/household-appliances/small-kitchen-appliances/coffee-machines-and-accessories/coffee-machines/nespresso-by-krups-inissia-xn100140-coffee-machine-white-21962946-pdt.html

Offline Fugazi

• General Member
  • NE28
« Reply #7758 on: Wednesday 13 June 2018, 10:55:12 am »
Is a Moka Pot like an upgrade from a cafetiere? 
Consider winning

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • plus d'argent, plus de problemes
« Reply #7759 on: Wednesday 13 June 2018, 10:59:49 am »
It's not necessarily an upgrade, it makes more espresso-style coffee than filter style. Some people would prefer the filter style.

It's a good quick way to make coffee of a high quality and get a lush smell, and much cheaper than buying a proper espresso machine. I have one but I only use it on a lazy Sunday etc. Most of the time I go with the machine.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
« Reply #7760 on: Wednesday 13 June 2018, 11:05:59 am »

Aye, it's a different sort of drink.  Espresso is super-strong coffee which is made by pressure rather than brewing; although it's generally much stronger it's also a lot smoother because the coffee doesn't sit in the water for minutes.  Something to do with bitter oils not being released as a result, or some such.  An espresso (whether machine or moka or aeropress made) diluted with hot water (an americano) is different enough in taste to a filter/cafetiere coffee to justify having both if you like both tastes.

« Reply #7761 on: Wednesday 13 June 2018, 01:09:42 pm »
Macchinettas are amazing. I can't see the reason for anyone to get one of those pod machines, like. Like OC, said, give yourself some wider options. I have a cafetiere, a Macchinetta, and an in cup filter thing. Gives you 3 options for making kinda different coffees but also with different timescales in making it and different levels of cleanup after etc. For example when I'm in a hurry in the mornings I just use an in cup filter thing.

It's also, obviously, vastly more cost effective and much less wasteful just buying ground coffee and having a couple of ways of making it.
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #7762 on: Wednesday 13 June 2018, 01:12:17 pm »
I'm tempted by a Nespresso now there are a lot more third-party capsules available. It's the waste that puts me off, plus the insane amount of coffee I would drink if I just had to press a button.

Offline Papavasiliou

• General Member
« Reply #7763 on: Wednesday 13 June 2018, 01:20:46 pm »
I still can't get past the tiny amounts you get with Nespresso pods. I got rid of mine and got a Tassimo specifically because I prefer a decent ammount.

The L'Or XL pods are perfect for me. Full mug's worth and there's nowt wrong with the taste.

Offline Jimburst

• General Member
  • Yeah Buddy!
« Reply #7764 on: Wednesday 13 June 2018, 01:48:28 pm »
Aye, the waste from these pod machines is absolutely disgraceful too. Hate them.
A splatterhouse turd done in the manky toilets of a discotheque, brought on my the consumption of cowies or toot.

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
« Reply #7765 on: Wednesday 13 June 2018, 01:53:19 pm »
Got myself a Gaggia Espresso machine, but I use the ESE pods (basically coffee grounds in a bag), as when I was in Rome, the guy who leased the apartment to us, swore by them.

Online Kid Icarus

• General Member
« Reply #7766 on: Wednesday 13 June 2018, 02:33:48 pm »
Aye, the waste from these pod machines is absolutely disgraceful too. Hate them.

Every part of them is recyclable now tbf. The problem is probably more to do with the faff of doing it and people just not bothering, which is still their responsibility like.
{o,o}
|)__)
-“-“-

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #7767 on: Wednesday 13 June 2018, 02:59:35 pm »
You can get biodegradable nespresso-compatible pods as well now, one of the things I was looking at.

Offline Twinport53

• General Member
« Reply #7768 on: Wednesday 13 June 2018, 03:02:56 pm »
Why not just brew coffee directly inside a whale and cut out the middle man?
Hatem Ben Arfa -
I don't think he would have won us any more points than any of our current players.

After 9 losses and 1 draw in 10 matches under John Carver.

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #7769 on: Wednesday 13 June 2018, 03:06:30 pm »

Aeropresses are where it's at.  Great coffee and very cheap.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
« Reply #7770 on: Wednesday 13 June 2018, 03:11:16 pm »

They're pretty good, aye :thup:  Prefer the coffee from a moka pot but aeropresses are infinitely less hassle if you can be bothered with the filters.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
« Reply #7771 on: Wednesday 13 June 2018, 03:13:53 pm »
I have a metal filter for my aeropress, if one finds that preferable.

... That I still haven't used after about 10 years, because I bought so many god damn paper filters when I picked the thing up in the first place.

« Reply #7772 on: Wednesday 13 June 2018, 03:23:33 pm »

Every part of them is recyclable now tbf. The problem is probably more to do with the faff of doing it and people just not bothering, which is still their responsibility like.

Everything that is recycled is only ever recycled down, mind. And there's there's the cost and energy to pack the coffee in all those little pods. Distribution etc etc. That's all waste.
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make

Offline OpenC

• General Member
« Reply #7773 on: Wednesday 13 June 2018, 03:47:17 pm »

... That I still haven't used after about 10 years, because I bought so many god damn paper filters when I picked the thing up in the first place.

I've had three metal filters but none of them seem to fit properly so it just leaks as soon as I put the water in :anguish:

Offline Papavasiliou

• General Member
« Reply #7774 on: Wednesday 13 June 2018, 04:10:25 pm »

I've had three metal filters but none of them seem to fit properly so it just leaks as soon as I put the water in :anguish:

Speaking of leaky, I got one of these the other month thinking it looked like a good alternative for my desk at work:
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Oomph-Advanced-Coffee-Maker-Midnight/dp/B01M6WUV3W/

Great little thing with a couple of little niggly problems that completely ruin it. Ended up returning it and just going back to a cafetiere.