Newcastle United 0 - 1 Arsenal - 11/08/19 - post-match reaction from page 18

BlueStar

First half we looked decent. Gave as good as we got. Nullified pretty much everything they had to offer. Looked pretty dangerous at times. But alas, didn’t score.

Second half was just shit. Bruce’s substitutions played a huge part in that, but also an absolutely infuriating lack of ability from some players in not being able to play a simple pass.

All in all I don’t think the performance was much different at all to various performances under Rafa against the bigger teams. I watched plenty of games under Rafa where we couldn’t retain the ball or get forward. What I didn’t see from Rafa very often though was completely mental subs, although he wasn’t without the odd moment of madness in that regard too.

Hoping Bruce realises that he fucked up his sub selection today and doesn’t make the same mistake again. (Not holding my breath though)

No different to Rafa against Big 6 sides ???

Newcastle 5 v 1 Spurs/Poch

Newcastle 3 v 0 Chelsea/Conte

Newcastle 2 v 1 Man City/Guardiola

Newcastle 2 v 1 Arsenal/Wenger

Newcastle 1 v 0 Man Utd/Mourinho

Even in his last home game against a Big 6 side(Liverpool) we had the most shots on target of any side that played them last season.

If you think today was similar to that then wow.

List all of the narrow defeats against the big teams as well, before I bother taking your post remotely seriously. You can’t just rewrite history to back up your point man. You know fine well there were many games against big teams under Rafa that we barely had a kick in. I obviously was talking about those games, ffs. Stop being so fucking defensive.

First half we looked decent. Gave as good as we got. Nullified pretty much everything they had to offer. Looked pretty dangerous at times. But alas, didn’t score.

Second half was just shit. Bruce’s substitutions played a huge part in that, but also an absolutely infuriating lack of ability from some players in not being able to play a simple pass.

All in all I don’t think the performance was much different at all to various performances under Rafa against the bigger teams. I watched plenty of games under Rafa where we couldn’t retain the ball or get forward. What I didn’t see from Rafa very often though was completely mental subs, although he wasn’t without the odd moment of madness in that regard too.

Hoping Bruce realises that he fucked up his sub selection today and doesn’t make the same mistake again. (Not holding my breath though)

Even in his last home game against a Big 6 side(Liverpool) we had the most shots on target of any side that played them last season.

List all of the narrow defeats against the big teams as well, before I bother taking your post remotely seriously. You can’t just rewrite history to back up your point man. You know fine well there were many games against big teams under Rafa that we barely had a kick in. I obviously was talking about those games, ffs. Stop being so fucking defensive.

Imagine thinking this wasn’t enough wins from a newly promoted side against the Big 6 who didn’t give the manager any financial backing :laugh:

Still the only team in the Premier League to beat Man City in 2019.

You just saw what they did to West Ham.

Ungrateful pal.

Imagine thinking this wasn’t enough wins from a newly promoted side against the Big 6 who didn’t give the manager any financial backing :laugh:

Ungrateful pal.

Seriously, what the fuck are you banging on about? You’re arguing about something completely unrelated to what I posted about. How many fucking times do I have to say I loved Rafa and what he did for the club. All I said above was, performance wise, today’s performance was very similar to many performances under Rafa against big teams....the three 2-1 defeats to Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal at the start of last season for a start. You are literally making up a topic to argue about.

Ungrateful pal.

Seriously, what the fuck are you banging on about? You’re arguing about something completely unrelated to what I posted about. How many fucking times do I have to say I loved Rafa and what he did for the club. All I said above was, performance wise, today’s performance was very similar to many performances under Rafa against big teams....the three 2-1 defeats to Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal at the start of last season for a start. You are literally making up a topic to argue about.

Just ignore him. He's got that post copied out in a Word document ready to reply to anyone who mentions any football manager.

Today's performance bore no resemblance to how we played under Rafa against the big teams.  Nobody in their right mind would say so.

Tell me how?

First half we played fairly well...plenty of good spells with no end product. Second half we struggled to get out of our own half, but still managed one or two half chances. There was many a game under Rafa where we barely had an attempt, and you know there was. Stop trying to rewrite history. Some of those games were frustrating as fuck, just like today.

Ungrateful pal.

Just ignore him. He's got that post copied out in a Word document ready to reply to anyone who mentions any football manager.

Thanks. I thought I was going crazy for a second.

Today's performance bore no resemblance to how we played under Rafa against the big teams.  Nobody in their right mind would say so.

Tell me how?

First half we played fairly well...plenty of good spells with no end product. Second half we struggled to get out of our own half, but still managed one or two half chances. There was many a game under Rafa where we barely had an attempt, and you know there was. Stop trying to rewrite history. Some of those games were frustrating as f***, just like today.

Our shape was noticeably worse second half. At the worst of times under Rafa, you knew what the formation was and you knew the players were well drilled. Today was an absolute shitshow and it will get worse.

We rarely got pumped under Rafa. Steve will have our arse cheeks splayed wider than a Barry Venison jacket.

Tell me how?

First half we played fairly well...plenty of good spells with no end product.our attacking play lacked the structure from last season.  A lot of effort went into each attack, at the expense of retaining our discipline to avoid being counter attacked.  Under no terms did Rafa allow us to play without the positional control needed.  There were numerous occasions where we were exposed, but luckily Arsenal were without 3/4 first team attackers and we were not punished. Second half we struggled to get out of our own halfyup, there was no clear strategy to counter Arsenal's growing possession.  In the past, Rondon would be very effective at holding up the ball.  Ayoze and Almiron would run the channels well and the defence and midfield would play to plan.  Obviously, we would need some luck to score enough to win/draw against clubs who have budgets 2/3x what we had, but at least with Rafa you could always see a smart plan in action.  With Bruce, the plan was not clever and his in game management turned out to do more harm than good., but still managed one or two half chances. I literally do not remember these?There was many a game under Rafa where we barely had an attempt, and you know there was.yup Stop trying to rewrite history.what?Some of those games were frustrating as fuck, just like today.we were never as ill disciplined as today under Rafa so stop trying to rewrite history.

Oh and the reason Longstaff and Schar looked off the boil today was because the plans to which they used to play to, with their passing games, are no longer in effect.  Players are playing with freedom and not running the channels and moving into or out of space like they used to.  So their options are reduced or they are completely cut out of the possession.

I've said it half a dozen times, but S-M coming on and wandering around the pitch, without any thought for the importance of making the correct runs as an attacker, constantly dropping behind the ball so he could get 5 yards of space was embarrassing. 

Comparing the performance to a Benitez one is irrelevant. Judge it on it's own merits. First half ok but team had no balance. Hayden playing right wing just about. Longstaff lost. Ritchie and dummet impersonating dumb and dumber. Almiron and joelinton isolated. No goals in the team

Second half was like a kids match tactically

If you have to compare do against carver or McClaren.  That's the level we are at

Tell me how?

First half we played fairly well...plenty of good spells with no end product. Second half we struggled to get out of our own half, but still managed one or two half chances. There was many a game under Rafa where we barely had an attempt, and you know there was. Stop trying to rewrite history. Some of those games were frustrating as fuck, just like today.

Yeah, Rafa would regularly start a game with no midfielders on the bench and proceed to sub 2 of the 3 he had starting with a winger and a left back taking their place.  Even Carver managed to put players in the right position on the field, even if he had no fucking clue on what to do beyond that.

Came in here to see what people thought of the game as I only saw the 1st half and it's horrific.

We really need a separate thread for the utter bell ends to do their gloating and usual shite posts that infect every thread. Have no interest in their opinions anymore as it's just full on repeat. They also love just quoting each other without actually adding anything. Why? It's genuinely ruining the forum...

Guest The Little Waster

Fuck it,my take on the game.

It just never felt like we knew what the plan was.

That is it.

Run around a lot n have Brucie shout at em

Came in here to see what people thought of the game as I only saw the 1st half and it's horrific.

We really need a separate thread for the utter bell ends to do their gloating and usual shite posts that infect every thread. Have no interest in their opinions anymore as it's just full on repeat. They also love just quoting each other without actually adding anything. Why? It's genuinely ruining the forum...

https://www.newcastle-online.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=lists;sa=ignore

It’s almost like our club is in crisis.

It's your job to talk to your players you fucking mong.

It wouldn't have made sense even if there hadn't been a miscommunication. Ritchie is never, in a million years, an outright CM. Especially when you've still got Longstaff on the pitch, who was forced out to the right as a result of the change.

Well said and another point..... when bringing someone on, trying to tell the lad where you want him to play, especially someone who's grasp of the Geordie lingo isn't great.... how about having an ipad, fuck how about a bit of paper and a crayon with simple diagram.

But don't worry lads cos brucey is a good man manager. 

Not got a fucking clue what he's doing!!  It's like putting Graham Norton in the playboy mansion! FFS!!

Oh and the reason Longstaff and Schar looked off the boil today was because the plans to which they used to play to, with their passing games, are no longer in effect.  Players are playing with freedom and not running the channels and moving into or out of space like they used to.  So their options are reduced or they are completely cut out of the possession.

I've said it half a dozen times, but S-M coming on and wandering around the pitch, without any thought for the importance of making the correct runs as an attacker, constantly dropping behind the ball so he could get 5 yards of space was embarrassing. 

Steve Bruce is going to make all those Man Yoo fans who laughed at Ashley's valuation of Longstaff look like Nostradamus. The Schar of our dreams will become a memory that we come to question "was he ever that good?"

I still can't be sure where it will land. When he was appointed, I thought we were doomed. After deadline day, I thought there were possibly enough players to stay up. But after that shambles, the obviousness of his incompetence... Those players are going to have to keep themselves up, and I don't see it happening.

We were completely outclassed, and were lucky to not be behind at the break, as both Mkhitaryan and Aubameyanh could have, and probably should have, scored.

Don't know why people are defending Bruce and his tactics, or lack thereof. We created next to nothing and they were the better side pretty much the entire game.

We weren't. We were simply utterly shit and Arsenal weren't great, which sums up our shittness.