Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

It's heartening to know that our high opinion of his lad is justified, with these top 6 clubs beginning to circle.

From Longstaff's point of view, there's no point in him leaving now in order to be a squad player at Man U or Spurs. Those clubs are trying to grab him, from the long-term viewpoint.

But it looks like we've only got a year or two to convince him that his career can kick on by staying put.

It's heartening to know that our high opinion of his lad is justified, with these top 6 clubs beginning to circle.

From Longstaff's point of view, there's no point in him leaving now in order to be a squad player at Man U or Spurs. Those clubs are trying to grab him, from the long-term viewpoint.

But it looks like we've only got a year or two to convince him that his career can kick on by staying put.

If Rafa leaves he'll be better fighting for a 1st team spot at somebody like them, with the luxury of protecting him from over-exposure, than staying here and taking responsibility for keeping us at 17th.

A move to Man U would be very similar to Carrick's move to Spurs, I don't think he ever regretted that.

It would be nothing like Carrick to Spurs, Carrick had played four full seasons and over 150 games at West Ham at left after a season in the second tier.

I'm speaking about the decision to be made, in relation to his future. I did think the first paragraph was enough to clarify, but just in case I quoted the exact comment which I was replying to.

I still don't think that it is particularly similar decision, Carrick was established and undoubtedly ready to step up. Longstaff has played fewer than 15 games for us. As great as he was in that short spell this season, he's still got a lot to do here to fully establish himself. I think he'll be fine as he seems so composed and calm but he's still at a fundamentally different point in his career than Carrick was when he went to Spurs and the decision he may or may not have to make is therefore fundamentally different.

I still don't think that it is particularly similar decision, Carrick was established and undoubtedly ready to step up. Longstaff has played fewer than 15 games for us. As great as he was in that short spell this season, he's still got a lot to do here to fully establish himself. I think he'll be fine as he seems so composed and calm but he's still at a fundamentally different point in his career than Carrick was when he went to Spurs and the decision he may or may not have to make is therefore fundamentally different.

Established or not, the question is whether Longstaff is ready to step up. And I have no doubt he'll do fine, under Rafa, who will develop him properly, but I was talking about if Rafa left. We'd likely get some halfwit who expects Longstaff to dominate midfield for 38 games, in a team battling relegation, simply based on the fact that Man U waned him, so he must be quality.

I think this is bollocks, but the biggest bollocks is people mentioning the 2.25M valuation on transfermarkt. He'll be worth Phil Jones money already, which makes it all the more unlikely to happen.

Two rich clubs, one with no need to sell the best young talent they have who doesn't want to leave. The other club is floundering with a bad manager but bags of cash.

For us to sell it would take more than the Carroll fee.

I'd sell him, Rafa has made Diame, Hayden and Longstaff now look really good in that position. I'm confident Rafa can make any average centre half or centre mid look like a 20m+ player.

Next year under Hughes I don't think Longstaff will do much.

I'd sell him, Rafa has made Diame, Hayden and Longstaff now look really good in that position. I'm confident Rafa can make any average centre half or centre mid look like a 20m+ player.

Next year under Hughes I don't think Longstaff will do much.

:lol:

With Schar and Lejeune playing diagonals out from the back, Matt Ritchie hitting way more crosses than anyone else in the league, and Perez our #10 also leading the league by miles in tackles and interceptions, perhaps our midfielders aren't that overworked.

Love the Hughes comment.

I think the way Rafa plays definitely makes some individuals look better than they are mind. He had a great run in the team but if we got a big fee for him, I could easily see Benítez signing someone who could do the same job and role equally as effective to go towards areas of the team where you do need a bit more ability.

You mean, Rafas a good manager?

His centre halves will always look good as there is 2 centre mids sitting in front and the full backs aren't 25 yards up the pitch.

On the other hand, Rafa's attacking players sometimes seem isolated.

It’s because Longstaff only played 15 games that we would ask around 20-30m. If he has played the whole season we would ask for sth close to 50m

That’s why I think it’s legit, especially considering West Ham is asking 60m for Rice

We should only really be selling shit players, not the ones who we can build a team around. Sick of ashley’s short term NUFC.

He’s one of our own, keep him for any price.

all depends on if him, if he wants to go it will be hard to keep him

Talk of a £20 million bid now.

This is so weird and annoying from Man United man. Lazy gits.

I know he's hardly even played, but I find that price unaaceptable.

When you consider he is English, and actually from Newcastle the guy should not be allowed to leave for anything less than £35 million if at all! Idiots.

Absolutely no reason to sell him whatsoever.

I really hope so.

Got such a good head on his shoulders too. Future captain material for goodness sake.

This interest from Man U is really irritating and forced to me. You just know if he struggles a bit they'll discard him in a heart beat and go and buy the next new thing. Urgh.