James Milner

Alberto2005

One of our most important players at the moment, Seems to me that he's really matured as a player, obviously hasn't got the natural pace to knock it past a player and rely on his pace to get it but his technique is good and has a trick or two if he needs to use it. I think if he's to go to the next level he needs to start scoring a few more goals but i've been very impressed by him so far, what do you think? How important do you think he's to our team atm?

ive always said hes a top class player and should be part of englands squad within the next year

i disagree with jamie, just because he was outstanding people now want him to stay on the left? hes right footed and cant play left wing week in week out!

also yesterday n'zogbia was outstanding pushing forward and thats why he should be at left wing with milner on the right, geremi dropped and emre in the middle with either butt or barton

Bollocks to pace. Milners proving that a footballing brain is paramount, not that he's a slow mind.

Do people think he would be better on the right? I'm starting to think he's enjoying playing on the left, he's performances are very good.

He's a natural right footer, and naturally would be better on the right.

But when he's on the left, i think he's more direct and prefers getting at defenders when on the left so he can cut inside onto his right.

Was successful yesterday, but i'm not saying it will be every game.

But when he's on the left, i think he's more direct and prefers getting at defenders when on the left so he can cut inside onto his right.

Ginola?

Ginola?

Pires, would not have been anywhere near as effective on the right.

The long term problem with Milner on the left of a 4-3-3 is his pace, and while pace isn't the be all and end all of playing on the wing, it certainly is very important for the wide men in such a system.

Generally your center forward is more concerned with link up play and playing with his back to goal, and the 3 in the middle of midfield are there to be solid and create from the middle rather than stretch teams. So that leaves the two wide men as the people whose job it is to stretch the opposition and get in behind them. Milner will never be able to do that, and while he may play well as an individual from the left, it upsets the balance of the team and makes us easier to play against. Unless he has an absolute stormer of a game and scores a goal or two and delivers brilliant cross after brilliant cross, I don't think it's the best position for him.

In a 4-4-2, yeah, he's a good winger. But I'm just not sure 4-3-3 will suit him long term at all.

He's been brilliant so far, his peformence in the last two games and even the ones before was really good, seems to have matured more as a footballer and he plays his heart out week in week out, his dribbling really got better and he keeps proving that you don't need pace to cause a threat down both flanks, hopes he gets his chance with the England squad in the upcoming month.

Guest sittingontheball

Deserved a goal yesterday and very nearly got one or two. Using your luck against the Mackems is a good ploy though.

Ginola?

Pires,

Maldini

Sam has actually pulled a fast one with Milner. On the right he didn't have the pace to go outside, but since he's been switched to the left he's able to cut inside and keep the defenders guessing. His confidence has soared last few games and that makes a massive difference.

Guest Knightrider

He's better on the left than right and is proving himself to be a decent player and a thorn in the "pace is the be all and end all" theory that seems to dominate football thinking, especially in youth football./ If he can improve his crossing he could be a very good player for us.

Massively overrated. Squad player at best until we let him play on the RIGHT and let the lad develop as he should be. End product will come if he has the right coaching and plays in his preferred position.

Fully disagree. I think he's underrated.