Video Assistant Referees (VAR)

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

surely it needs a challenge system. These ref are ruining the game by looking at everything doubtful. Give a team 3 challenges per game. up to them when to use it. each challenge and the decision should be made within 90 seconds.

It's a situation that's easily rectified - if the players would stop fucking throwing themselves to the ground at every opportunity VAR would only be needed for offside decisions. I think it's great that it's proving to be such a mess and taking ages because its frustrating the very players whose cheating has created the need for it. Fuck em!

After seeing the trial, I'd say offsides and that's it. That should take 10-15 seconds for the 4th official just to see a replay with the lines etc.

I don’t see why this isn’t how they do it. Why do they have a bloke sat in a room 100 miles away from the stadium? :lol: Why doesn’t the 4th official not just watch it and advise the referee?

For offside calls I think there should be a level of grey area used. The Mata against Huddersfield offside call was technically right, but we surely can agree that it's an absurd ruling. Nobody would have ever considered that to be an obvious error on the part of the linesman.

If the linesman has missed an offside upon VAR, and it falls outside such a grey area - basically factoring in the level of judgement from the human eye, and the time delay in actually raising a flag from seeing the ball being kicked - then it can be ruled out from VAR.

Factoring in a margin for error would also continue to give the linesman's continued participation at every call validity. Forcing the linesman to make every call as they would do normally - thus not effecting the judgement across their profession. (not every game they'll officiate will have VAR). If they get into a habit of letting marginal calls go, knowing that VAR will make the call anyway - that could actually seriously lower the standard of officiating.

I've got huge problems with it's implementation in certain games, but not others. Using it in selective cup matches, essentially TV games at PL stadiums is affording different privilege to certain teams than others, and ultimately brings into question the integrity of the competitions. Although unfortunate, I would have loved for an error to occurred one weekend in the FA Cup, or one tie in the League Cup where the VAR wasn't in use. This would have highlighted it's sporadic use to the favour of TV companies, and bigger teams wholly unfair.  It wasn't used in the first leg of Spurs vs. Rochdale, but it was in the second leg. How is that right?

For offside calls I think there should be a level of grey area used. The Mata against Huddersfield offside call was technically right, but we surely can agree that it's an absurd ruling. Nobody would have ever considered that to be an obvious error on the part of the linesman.

If the linesman has missed an offside upon VAR, and it falls outside such a grey area - basically factoring in the level of judgement from the human eye, and the time delay in actually raising a flag from seeing the ball being kicked - then it can be ruled out from VAR.

Factoring in a margin for error would also continue to give the linesman's continued participation at every call validity. Forcing the linesman to make every call as they would do normally - thus not effecting the judgement across their profession. (not every game they'll officiate will have VAR). If they get into a habit of letting marginal calls go, knowing that VAR will make the call anyway - that could actually seriously lower the standard of officiating.

I've got huge problems with it's implementation in certain games, but not others. Using it in selective cup matches, essentially TV games at PL stadiums is affording different privilege to certain teams than others, and ultimately brings into question the integrity of the competitions. Although unfortunate, I would have loved for an error to occurred one weekend in the FA Cup, or one tie in the League Cup where the VAR wasn't in use. This would have highlighted it's sporadic use to the favour of TV companies, and bigger teams wholly unfair.  It wasn't used in the first leg of Spurs vs. Rochdale, but it was in the second leg. How is that right?

verb

test (something, especially a new product) to assess its suitability or performance.

Tracking chips implanted in the ball and players kit would be much easier and quicker than video reviews for offside.

Doesn't solve the problem of implementing it at lower levels though. Already have that with the goal-line stuff mind.

Tracking chips implanted in the ball and players kit would be much easier and quicker than video reviews for offside.

Doesn't solve the problem of implementing it at lower levels though. Already have that with the goal-line stuff mind.

That's the same with the other sports that have this technology though?

That's the same with the other sports that have this technology though?

Which I don't think is great either. However I don't really give a fuck about them. :lol:

What if you're forehead is offside but nothing else is. Or your arse, Or your knee

Well, a lino isn't gonna spot that anyway so makes no odds really.  If they do spot it they can call offside anyway. 

your*

What if you're forehead is offside but nothing else is. Or your arse, Or your knee

Well, a lino isn't gonna spot that anyway so makes no odds really.  If they do spot it they can call offside anyway. 

your*

Surely it would be a bit daft to have electric chips only if your shirt collar or boots are offside and then just allow wrong decisions to be made if any other goalscoring part of your body is offside.

Mata had a goal ruled out a few weeks ago through VAR because his knee was offside, an electric chip in his boot would have said he was onside

your*

Surely it would be a bit daft to have electric chips only if your shirt collar or boots are offside and then just allow wrong decisions to be made if any other goalscoring part of your body is offside.

Mata had a goal ruled out a few weeks ago through VAR because his knee was offside, an electric chip in his boot would have said he was onside

The ref could still rule it out for offside.  It's to assist decisions, not replace the ref and linesmen.

How would the ref rule it out for offside?

How do they rule things out for offside now? :lol:

They rely on the linesman, but with the Mata decision a few weeks ago, neither the ref or linesman saw that his knee was offside and an electric chip in his boot wouldn't have got to a correct decision either

How would the ref rule it out for offside?

How do they rule things out for offside now? :lol:

They rely on the linesman, but with the Mata decision a few weeks ago, neither the ref or linesman saw that his knee was offside and an electric chip in his boot wouldn't have got to a correct decision either

Well, that probably wouldn't get caught then but on the other hand a lot of other decisions would and it'd be instant so no waiting around or a few minutes for a review.  I'd imagine it as and aid to the officials, not a replacement.  If a player's offside then the ref gets a notification, maybe a buzzer on his wrist or a sound though his earpiece or something, and he uses his judgement to make the call.  Keeps the flow of the game and the human aspect but improves the decision making.

It could result in plenty of incorrect deicisions though.

Imagine if we got a goal ruled out for offside but then it turned out that a defender's knee was actually playing him onside but because the chips were only in the boots it was ruled offside by the ref's buzzer

You're talking about complete edge cases, how often is an offside called or missed because of a knee?  The alternative is stopping the game for a couple of minutes, I like this way better.