Other clubs’ stadiums

Disco

I remember seeing the collapse at Bastia, was it? That scaffold wasn't even half the height of the Russian one.

I sat in there for the cup game against Wimbledon that year, that might have been there year they went on to win it. We were terrible that day, don't remember much more about the game.

Temporary stands are used in many countries and are safer than they look. Much better idea to do this, retain the old facade and then downsize after the tournament than build a new white elephant from scratch. Ural will not fill 35k ever.

It's nowhere cost effective for us to upgrade SJP.  Won't happen.

No clue how many seats we'd get but we could only realistically expand the Gallowgate End to Level 7 height, which would probably take the capacity to about 61,000? The price of the expansion, plus (correct me if I'm wrong) having to buy back the lease for the land behind the Gallowgate won't be paid back for quite a while from ticket sales.

Upgrading for me is to make it more 'posh' to those corporate groups who might visit SJP often if we ever get taken over. Give the ground a good 'cosmetic' update or something. At least make it marketable and attractive unlike the advertising space it is right now for Fat Mike. The Etihad did something last season if I'm not mistaken. Expanding would of course have its high costs and all but making SJP an attractive venue for things apart from the football wont hurt.

Guest Howaythetoon

It can be done without silly money. Refurb wise, the stadium is dated and badly in need of modernising.

Guest Howaythetoon

If we did get bought by somebody with a bottomless money pit and they wanted to build a new ground, how many fans would be dead set against it? Tradition and such.

I would be dead set against it.

Only way I’d remotely want a new stadium is if the NIMBYs from the late 90s have all fucked off and it was built on Leazes Park/The Town Moor.

The city centre location is what makes our ground so special.

Could put it where the arena is, soon to be was.

I'd very probably be against it though. Also, bowl stadiums are proper gash.

Spruce up SJP would be preferable.

Pie off the grey seats for black and white ones. New facade on the East stand. Down with all shit signage. Upgrade the corporate along with the prices. Jobs a good un.

Only way I’d remotely want a new stadium is if the NIMBYs from the late 90s have all f***ed off and it was built on Leazes Park/The Town Moor.

The city centre location is what makes our ground so special.

I remember them going to Sunderland on match days to sign their petition against it

I was all for a new stadium when it was last aired before the "friends of Leazes Park" put an end to our very own San Siro. I now do see the importance of our City Centre location, but since we fill what we have now after 2 relegation in 6 years, if the place ever took off and we actually were in the frame to win something, you could imagine the demand and we would absolutely need a bigger ground. Since redeveloping SJP to increase capacity is not feasible or probably even possible, then moving would be the only solution. The ideal scenario would be to mimic what Spuds have done and rebuild the stadium on the same site (or close by), but we don't have the luxury of being able to lease the national stadium for a year while we rebuild.

We're getting so far ahead ourselves here it's rediculous. :lol:

But we're currently jammed between leazes terrace and barrack road. We'd have to move a good distance, not the eighteen inches or so spurs have. And it's pointless talking about it anyway so why the fuck am I wasting my time? :lol:

Black and white seats would look gash :(

This. The black will eventually turn grey and the white look like shit. At least the grey now just becomes...grey-er. Look at the now pink seats from the original red ones down the road.

Guest chopey

We're getting so far ahead ourselves here it's rediculous. :lol:

But we're currently jammed between leazes terrace and barrack road. We'd have to move a good distance, not the eighteen inches or so spurs have. And it's pointless talking about it anyway so why the f*** am I wasting my time? :lol:

It's the hope that kills you

I'm sure we could flatten the current ground and get some clever architect to design a 60-65k stadium in the space left behind. Lower the pitch or build up at Gallowgate and Leazes end?? Purely hypothetical as it would cost a mint but if we had mega bucks owners they could transform the site into a state of the art facility whilst retaining the current historic and iconic location.

I'm sure we could flatten the current ground and get some clever architect to design a 60-65k stadium in the space left behind. Lower the pitch or build up at Gallowgate and Leazes end?? Purely hypothetical as it would cost a mint but if we had mega bucks owners they could transform the site into a state of the art facility whilst retaining the current historic and iconic location.

If money wasn't an issue to a super rich owner  :whistle: then moving the old buildings behind the East Stand would be the better option and then build the east stand up top Level 7.