Other clubs’ stadiums

Disco

There are a few other stadiums which St James would go to if we expand the gallowgate

http://i.imgur.com/RQQrZyM.png

http://i.imgur.com/EzQZvPn.png

http://i.imgur.com/sO7fraq.png

St James' as it is now is truly unique, that's why I like it

Do you guys really value the Georgian architecture? Or would you rather see SJP expanded?

I don't think anybodys too arsed about that row of houses.

i am tbh

Me too, I feel proud of the my beautiful city every time I walk up to St. James' through those Georgian streets. How many other stadiums are in those sort of surroundings? (only Arsenal maybe)

It's part of the soul of the club.

Hey fair play lads. If things had gone the way we wanted twenty years ago and we were now challenging every year I'd prefer to see the east stand expanded. But as we're currently crap then it's irrelevant really.

It's just never going to happen though. Leazes Terrace is a building of national significance, realistically any further extension of that stand would harm the building either in terms of the impact on its setting or people living there.

Even if listed building consent and planning permission were granted to move Leazes Terrace, which is doubtful, the cost would be astronomical! It would probably be a lot cheaper to build a temporary stadium somewhere else, knock down St. James's rebuild it further to the west. Neither option would be worth the cost for 5-10,000 more seats.

The only realistic option would be the Gallowgate end, if we ever have enough ambition again to need the extra seats.

Do you guys really value the Georgian architecture? Or would you rather see SJP expanded?

I don't think anybodys too arsed about that row of houses.

i am tbh

Me too, I feel proud of the my beautiful city every time I walk up to St. James' through those Georgian streets. How many other stadiums are in those sort of surroundings? (only Arsenal maybe)

It's part of the soul of the club.

Hey fair play lads. If things had gone the way we wanted twenty years ago and we were now challenging every year I'd prefer to see the east stand expanded. But as we're currently crap then it's irrelevant really.

It's just never going to happen though. Leazes Terrace is a building of national significance, realistically any further extension of that stand would harm the building either in terms of the impact on its setting or people living there.

Even if listed building consent and planning permission were granted to move Leazes Terrace, which is doubtful, the cost would be astronomical! It would probably be a lot cheaper to build a temporary stadium somewhere else, knock down St. James's rebuild it further to the west. Neither option would be worth the cost for 5-10,000 more seats.

The only realistic option would be the Gallowgate end, if we ever have enough ambition again to need the extra seats.

Agreed entirely, it adds to the charm of St. James' Park. Location wise it is by far the best stadium in the country.

I'm bothered about the houses, it even still bothers me that the back of the east stand looks so awful and out of place.

With the possibility of the Gallowayte increasing capacity to 60k-62k, then the houses aren't any real problem with our ground, in fact keeping the east stand small adds character to the stadium.

This is the point really. Putting another tier on the East stand would actually improve that area dramatically. The stand could be moved out to the edge of the paved area with access underneath like the Leazes and Milburn stands. A mirrored glass fascia would look a million times better than the concrete monstrosity there now and would reflect light onto Leazes terrace.

Even the most reactionary town planner should be able to see the sense in something like this. I suppose space would limit it to something the size of the 3rd tier at Old Trafford though so dont know how many seats that would add.

Success on the pitch must come first though and we all know how likely that is.

I'm bothered about the houses, it even still bothers me that the back of the east stand looks so awful and out of place.

With the possibility of the Gallowayte increasing capacity to 60k-62k, then the houses aren't any real problem with our ground, in fact keeping the east stand small adds character to the stadium.

This is the point really. Putting another tier on the East stand would actually improve that area dramatically. The stand could be moved out to the edge of the paved area with access underneath like the Leazes and Milburn stands. A mirrored glass fascia would look a million times better than the concrete monstrosity there now and would reflect light onto Leazes terrace.

Even the most reactionary town planner should be able to see the sense in something like this. I suppose space would limit it to something the size of the 3rd tier at Old Trafford though so dont know how many seats that would add.

It wouldnt, it'd block the light as the sun goes over the milburn side of the stadium

I doubt it would be technically possible to go straight up with another tier.

Even if an upper tier were directly above the first the support structure for the upper tier would need to be behind the lower tier and would need to be fairly substantial to support a stand cantilevered over the lower tier. It would almost certainly need to project back quite a bit further towards Leazes Terrace.

Mirrored glass is often a big no no and a cheap option to 'fit in with the surrounding areas'. When you can get sandstone cladding fairly cheap now there is no reason why the back of the east stand can't simply just have this, it would be a cheap and easy option that would make the area look 100x better.

Extending the boundary out towards the edge of the paved area would also be a good option, this could create more concourse space in the east stand which is needed.

For the record the type of cladding I'm on about is the same of that which is used at Northumbria Kings gate and into buildings, as well as it being the same as used at Wellbar and Times Central behind he Gallowgate.

http://www.bondbryan.com/uploads/images/kingsgate-1.jpg

It wouldnt, it'd block the light as the sun goes over the milburn side of the stadium

Yes i get how the sun works but as its rising in the east it would reflect light onto the area before the sun gets high enough in the sky to do it directly.

The real issue is whether the roof supports could be fitted in as someone pointed out but this is the 21st century after all and engineering has come on in leaps and bounds over the last few decades. Its probably all academic anyway!!!

Mirrored glass is often a big no no and a cheap option to 'fit in with the surrounding areas'. When you can get sandstone cladding fairly cheap now there is no reason why the back of the east stand can't simply just have this, it would be a cheap and easy option that would make the area look 100x better.

Extending the boundary out towards the edge of the paved area would also be a good option, this could create more concourse space in the east stand which is needed.

For the record the type of cladding I'm on about is the same of that which is used at Northumbria Kings gate and into buildings, as well as it being the same as used at Wellbar and Times Central behind he Gallowgate.

http://www.bondbryan.com/uploads/images/kingsgate-1.jpg

With our owner it would probably end up more like this:

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/coronationstreet/images/2/28/No9_full_view.jpg

I hate it when people use "your stadium's lopsided" as a jab, when it's the thing I love most about it. Make the Gallowgate bigger, yes, but leave it at that - asymmetry is beautiful.

An 'insult' used almost exclusively by mackems. Who in their usual blistering lack of self-awareness, have the dictionary-definition of lop-sided in their flat-pack sh*thole ground

Bursaspor

CKhU4zOVAAAu84G.jpg:large

Going to have the crocodile head on the roof, as its green, still supposedly too.

Turkey have got some really good stadiums, with more on the way, these days.

Guest Rotor900

Absolutely. Should be due to host the Euros or the World Cup very soon. Would so much rather see it there than in Russia/Qatar.

Bursaspor

CKhU4zOVAAAu84G.jpg:large

Going to have the crocodile head on the roof, as its green, still supposedly too.

Turkey have got some really good stadiums, with more on the way, these days.

Looks perfect for a great atmosphere, that.

http://i.imgur.com/ml8Qj70.jpg

New rendering of the expanded Orlando City stadium.

Supposedly more hi-res photos coming tomorrow.

I think it looks class for a football stadium in Florida. Glad to see more of the stands covered now too, will hold in our killer atmosphere even better.