Other clubs' transfers

Greg

Saw him play a few years ago against Sevilla and he did pretty much nothing all game except score a goal and got an assist :lol:

Was a cracking game when I went but I didn't really enjoy the atmosphere at the Camp Nou as it felt like it was just full of tourists who didn't really understand or know much about football (which is probably quite rich from me seen as though I was a tourist when I went)

:lol:

I heard a very similar recollection from my mate who went a few year ago regarding the atmosphere. He also wasn't very complimentary about the condition of the stadium itself, said it was in a bit of a state where he was seated anyway.

Still, I'd take seeing Messi on an off-day - still usually means a game-winning performance. Plus I love Barcelona, truly great city  :)

Well, we haven't the greatest of the atmospheres, but the influx of football tourists on biggish games usually makes it worse than the average.

The Camp Nou is really old and that's why the board is trying to find the funds to renovate it (which includes selling the naming rights).

Regarding the first part, I suppose it's the price you pay for having a world class football team with arguably the best footballer of all time at no.10. People are always going to want to experience that for themselves even if they're not that into football. It's a similar conversation to the Old Trafford one people were having a few days ago. People go to see everything surrounding the football but not the actual football itself.

Guest Howaythetoon

I saw him in the flesh in August at Camp Nou and he was clearly above every player on the pitch ability wise, but isn’t the player he once was obviously. I did thought I had witnessed him score, but it turned out to be an OG.

Guest Howaythetoon

When I went the atmosphere wasn’t too bad and although the stadium is dated, I fucking loved the whole experience, it is a grande old stadium, so glad I went and experienced it all.

Guest Howaythetoon

Regarding the first part, I suppose it's the price you pay for having a world class football team with arguably the best footballer of all time at no.10. People are always going to want to experience that for themselves even if they're not that into football. It's a similar conversation to the Old Trafford one people were having a few days ago. People go to see everything surrounding the football but not the actual football itself.

A bloke and his sons came all the way from Brazil to watch them when I was there and there was thousands of fans wearing various non Barca tops, I was in my Toon fans top. Didn’t see a mackem mind... it is very touristy, but Barcelona are more than a football club they really are, the stadium, the City, the culture etc. it’s a must for anyone visiting to go and watch them. It’s different I think to the kind of ‘ tourist fans’ who go and visit Manchester to watch Man Utd or City or Liverpool etc.

A bloke and his sons came all the way from Brazil to watch them when I was there and there was thousands of fans wearing various non Barca tops, I was in my Toon fans top. Didn’t see a mackem mind... it is very touristy, but Barcelona are more than a football club they really are, the stadium, the City, the culture etc. it’s a must for anyone visiting to go and watch them. It’s different I think to the kind of ‘ tourist fans’ who go and visit Manchester to watch Man Utd or City or Liverpool etc.

I think you're probably spot on there tbh mate. It's probably true that those visiting the Camp Nou care about seeing a once in a lifetime team play the game they love. A lot of people visiting Man Utd are there for the brand identity or perhaps because David Beckham & Ronaldo used to play for them.

Guest Howaythetoon

I think you're probably spot on there tbh mate. It's probably true that those visiting the Camp Nou care about seeing a once in a lifetime team play the game they love. A lot of people visiting Man Utd are there for the brand identity or perhaps because David Beckham & Ronaldo used to play for them.

Aye, when I was there, a lot of the tourist fans had their sons in tow or were a group of young lads wearing Italy tops or Brazil tops, clearly football fans. Obviously you will get some who aren’t like Wor lass who isn’t a footy fan at all but wanted to go and wanted to watch Messi. She was more bowled over by the whole experience than I was.

Would say Barcelona is even more "touristy" than anything in the PL.

Think Man U and certainly Liverpool would sell out their stadiums every week without tourists. Barca wouldn't. Saw them against Valencia a few years back, 80% full tops.

That 80% is more than Old Trafford or Anfield can hold, though...

Camp Nou is really big - probably too much given that i.e. Real Madrid have a smaller stadium in a much larger city -, but it makes sense financially since even though we only fill it very few games a season (El Clásico and later stages of the CL), STs sell out completely.

As an aside, attendances used to be better when we still had terraces - the stadium held 114.000 back then too.

I’ve not been but Barcelona is tourist city in it’s own right. The Nou Camp is just an extension of that. Though they are big UK cities, Manchester and Liverpool are more functional cities than tourist type cities. Both cities will gain the vast proportion of tourists purely from football fans, though Liverpool have a reasonable claim to Beatles fans as well.

I’ve not been to Liverpool, but I would like to think that they have a lot more dedicated fans, and less tourists going to Anfield. Man Utd and Old Trafford though is just a fucking mess of them and the only football fans you see there are in the corner that holds the away fans.

Guest neesy111

I’ve not been but Barcelona is tourist city in it’s own right. The Nou Camp is just an extension of that. Though they are big UK cities, Manchester and Liverpool are more functional cities than tourist type cities. Both cities will gain the vast proportion of tourists purely from football fans, though Liverpool have a reasonable claim to Beatles fans as well.

I’ve not been to Liverpool, but I would like to think that they have a lot more dedicated fans, and less tourists going to Anfield. Man Utd and Old Trafford though is just a fucking mess of them and the only football fans you see there are in the corner that holds the away fans.

Camp Nou*

I’ve not been but Barcelona is tourist city in it’s own right. The Nou Camp is just an extension of that. Though they are big UK cities, Manchester and Liverpool are more functional cities than tourist type cities.

So we aren't a functional city? Kindly fuck off man :lol:

I’ve not been to Liverpool, but I would like to think that they have a lot more dedicated fans, and less tourists going to Anfield. Man Utd and Old Trafford though is just a f***ing mess of them and the only football fans you see there are in the corner that holds the away fans.

Yeh I wanted the add that Barcelona is also generally a tourist location in the way Manchester and Liverpool are not. Watching Barca play must just be something that some people just do when they're in the city as compared to going to Manchester specifically to watch Man Utd.

VI - think it's meant to be a compliment.

Fair enough. Apologies if I misinterstood you, Stifler.

Aye, my point was that tourists go to Barcelona for many different reasons on top of it being a functional city. Manchester and Liverpool are more functional cities (former industrial cities) rather than tourist destinations. Tourists go to Manchester and Liverpool for the football, where as in Barcelona going to see Barcelona play or visit the Camp Nou is just another thing on the list of things you can do in Barcelona.

• 3 weeks later...