Henri Saivet (now a free agent)

lovejoy

I guess he has shown in the past to be an excellent passer/user of the ball?  And that we were willing to take someone who wasn't a dominant physical force for that reason.  Plus, you know, available on the cheap.

Watched the extended highlights on Sky and he looked very promising to me. He has the ability to stalk an opponent, jogging towards them effortlessly before sprinting to make the tackle when they took a dodgy touch. He also showed he can drop a shoulder in tight areas, turn and give a forward pass turning defence into attack.

There was a moment when he didn't appreciate a player was coming from behind him and so he was muscled off of the ball. I would be worried if he did realise the player was there and was actively shielding it but was a weakling, but fact was he was just taken by surprise - probably the added physicality of the premier league compared with ligue one.

The good thing about his passing range is that if opposition teams try to stamp on Shelvey to stop us playing our game others can supply Gini and the others, retaining our threat. I'm genuinely excited by him

I would of preferred a natural defensive midfielder,wasn't he a winger turned box to box centre mid turned defensive mid.  He's only played 30 odd minutes for us so its far too early to judge him. Hopefully he turns out to be a great buy and he seems like a likeable bloke.

Watched the extended highlights on Sky and he looked very promising to me. He has the ability to stalk an opponent, jogging towards them effortlessly before sprinting to make the tackle when they took a dodgy touch. He also showed he can drop a shoulder in tight areas, turn and give a forward pass turning defence into attack.

There was a moment when he didn't appreciate a player was coming from behind him and so he was muscled off of the ball. I would be worried if he did realise the player was there and was actively shielding it but was a weakling, but fact was he was just taken by surprise - probably the added physicality of the premier league compared with ligue one.

The good thing about his passing range is that if opposition teams try to stamp on Shelvey to stop us playing our game others can supply Gini and the others, retaining our threat. I'm genuinely excited by him

Same here. He got in a couple of good interceptions and stole the ball from West Ham players. That's what he's been bought for and I've got a feeling he's going to turn out a very canny signing.

I don't think you can make any judgements off Sky's highlights.  But he got caught on the ball a couple of times, but did make a couple of nice tackles.  He nailed someone at the edge of our box and left them in a heap.  Set up a counter attack that we nearly scored from, if memory serves?

He had half an hour on the pitch and I saw about 5 minutes of him on the highlights.  Early days.

Tron and Greydos summed it up well.

He did look a bit nervous for the first 10 mins or so which was totally natural given we were facing a ton of pressure and he'd have known how leaky our defense can be at times. But think he grew into it. He fancies himself as a ball player too and I think we'll see him play the ball much more intelligently than Jackie Colback.

Tron and Greydos summed it up well.

He did look a bit nervous for the first 10 mins or so which was totally natural given we were facing a ton of pressure and he'd have known how leaky our defense can be at times. But think he grew into it. He fancies himself as a ball player too and I think we'll see him play the ball much more intelligently than Jackie Colback.

Could be our Essien.

Did OK but looked worryingly lightweight. Might become a halfway house between Anita and Tiote but would've went with a Diame type personally.

Diame - the attacking midfielder?

But aye looked a little light weight. Early days. Better for him to start a game and feel his way into it rather than coming on when the game is at 100%

Did OK but looked worryingly lightweight. Might become a halfway house between Anita and Tiote but would've went with a Diame type personally.

But aye looked a little light weight. Early days. Better for him to start a game and feel his way into it rather than coming on when the game is at 100%

I believe a midfielder should be good at both.

Both what?

I've seen Hull a few times this season and Diame's been in the #10 position. He seems to get stuck in but doesn't strike me as a midfielder whose main concern and ability is stopping attacks and passing the ball quickly and forward. I think that's what we need alongside Jonjo. I think Colback is meant to be a hard working passer but it's always sideways. And i'm not sure what Anita is meant to be good at... same thing I suppose.

Diame played in the middle alongside Noble in his first season for West Ham, he looked good, they signed Kouyaté though and then fucked him about a bit and got rid of him. He's not a holding midfielder but he's good defensively. I assume that's what LFEE is talking about, he certainly wasn't used as an attacking midfielder back then.

Not sure what he's been like at Hull as I haven't really paid attention, but I do want a big powerful midfielder who covers ground well and isn't scared of going into a challenge, just something about it.

Both what?

I've seen Hull a few times this season and Diame's been in the #10 position. He seems to get stuck in but doesn't strike me as a midfielder whose main concern and ability is stopping attacks and passing the ball quickly and forward. I think that's what we need alongside Jonjo. I think Colback is meant to be a hard working passer but it's always sideways. And i'm not sure what Anita is meant to be good at... same thing I suppose.

Remember him playing deeper in his Wigan days but perhaps his role has changed since then and West Ham.

Diame played in the middle alongside Noble in his first season for West Ham, he looked good, they signed Kouyaté though and then f***ed him about a bit and got rid of him. He's not a holding midfielder but he's good defensively. I assume that's what LFEE is talking about, he certainly wasn't used as an attacking midfielder back then.

Not sure what he's been like at Hull as I haven't really paid attention, but I do want a bit powerful midfielder who covers ground well and isn't scared of going into a challenge, just something about it.

This.

:lol: because he wasn't fuckin class in his 10 minutes on the pitch having been at the club for 3 days?

Get rid imo.

Asprilla was class instantly after flying in on the day, not met anyone, speaking no English and having a glass of wine with his pre match meal.

Didn't really see much from him except giving the ball away a few times.  Obviously needs time to get used to the pace and physicality of the English game.  Errr, which he doesn't have.  :undecided:

I don't really understand why we've signed this lad and would prefer a match fit Tiote.

A strange January signing, summer okay, but January when what you need is players who can hit the ground running and turn your season around?

Tiote has been a absolute liability for over two years.