Henri Saivet (now a free agent)

lovejoy

I still don't think we'll do very well with Wijnaldum and Sissoko in their weird pseudo-positions, but a decent midfield would help.

thing is I'm not convinced by either in cm either, consistently sissoko has been most effective on the right and wijnaldum has not impressed me in cm when he's moved there or started there, seemed fairly anonymous

Would Save It, Voldemort and Wijnaldum maybe work as a 3 with Perez, Mitro and Sissoko further up?

Get French Football ‏@GFN_France 20m20 minutes ago

Breaking | No fee agreement yet between Newcastle & Bordeaux for Saivet. Bournemouth might try to scupper the deal, according to L'Équipe.

No brainer for him, surely? :D

He definately should choose Bournemouth

About Saivet from a swedish journalist following Girondins Bordeaux  (Google translated):

Henri Saivet belongs to the players who have "free pass" to leave in January and now seems to Newcastle to have grasped. The 25-year-old Bordeaux player debuted in les Girondins almost eight years ago and began his time in the first team as a striker. Saivet later played on the same postion in the French U21 national team. As a senior, he has chosen to represent Senegal.

After a couple strong seasons chose the Willy Sagnol last fall to relocate Saivet central midfield. Hand's role has since become increasingly defensive and in his last (?) League match in navy played Henri as "six", just in front of the back line.

The question is what Newcastle expects Saivet? The British media presented him as "winger", and perhaps they have thought themselves to resettle him as forward.

Some issues to agree on the sum of around six million euros is not likely to occur. Henri needs of air. According to the French RMC Sport, the contract could be signed later Monday and Saivet himself to be on his way to Newcastle for medical examination.

http://www.svenskafans.com/europa/saivet-pa-vag-till-newcastle-545384.aspx

Honesty i smell like another Gouffran.  If you are decent in scoring as a striker, why relocate backwards?

I think the crucial fact you are missing is that he wasn't particularly effective as a striker and had his position changed.

Guest Roger Kint

Was this lad ever a striker? I thought he was a winger turned box-to-box mid?

Striker as a kid when he first came through

About f***ing time we utilised the French market.

:lol:

Remember 3 years ago when we unveiled a new French signing for like 6 days in a row one January. Same this transfer window but only players with surnames beginning with S

I can't remember Gouffran ever being played as a striker for us, on the left of a front three was about as advanced as it ever got.

Played up with Cisse against Leeds in the League Cup at home iirc.

Honesty i smell like another Gouffran.  If you are decent in scoring as a striker, why relocate backwards?

He wasn't decent at scoring, and was going nowhere as a winger apparently.  His best form in years is since he's been moved to midfield.

With Gouffran we bought a striker in form and just never played him as a striker and instead kept playing him in midfield were he was fucking shit.  This lad has been moved because he failed up front after 8 years at the club and the manager thought he could be better in midfield, and he has been.

Who knows if he'll be good, I'm hopeful but far from sure, don't see any similarity to Gouffran though.