Paul Dummett

Guest palnese

It's the same old crap. Young local lad must be poor even though he's had very few bad games and does everything pretty well you'd want from a CB.

Not really- I think it's an honest assessment this guy will never be as good as what we need to get higher in the league.

Quite a ridiculous statement given that he's clearly already an improvement on what we're starting. :lol:

Not really its in regards to pushing forwards. And it's hard to gauge as fact what you have just said based on his around about 5 appearances at cb.

It's the same old crap. Young local lad must be poor even though he's had very few bad games and does everything pretty well you'd want from a CB.

Who else has this been applied to btw given it's the same old crap?

I look at Dummett and don't see many, if any, of the attributes I want from a centre half (or certainly someone who could be labelled as being one hell of a centre half).  He isn't (as you have acknowledged) tall enough, he isn't strong enough and he isn't that good in the air.  He isn't very quick and I haven't seen anything from him to suggest that he is going to grow into a great reader of the game or a leader at the back.  Least importantly for me, he isn't comfortable on the ball.

I don't see many outstanding attributes for someone who is already 23.  Having said all that - I'd have him in the team over Williamson every day of the week.

Where has this lack of strength and aerial ability been apparent? You're just making things up now. He's certainly not slow, either. He's perfectly fine on the ball for a 23-year-old CB.

I don't think he wins enough headers for a centre half in the PL - not sure I need to list a series of examples to hold this view (I suppose the glaring one was where a bang average Fletcher dominated him in the air all game).  And unlike peak Coloccini or the player MYM we know is, I don't think he has enough other outstanding attributes to make up for the fact he doesn't excel in any particular department (i.e. Colo's reading of the game and anticipation, MYM's speed etc).

We can agree to disagree about how comfortable he is on the ball.  I don't have much confidence in him when he has the ball at his feet.  At both LB and CB he often resorted to Williamson-esque hoofs.

Guest John Carvery

I have certainly never written a player off based on their first or second start in this league. Inexperience is never an acceptable excuse for lack of effort, mind.

The Commander of player write-offs has spoken!

I have certainly never written a player off based on their first or second start in this league. Inexperience is never an acceptable excuse for lack of effort, mind.

I haven't written off because of his first start - I just gave an example that sprang to mind.  I've watched enough of him to not rate him particularly highly.

Name-calling notwithstanding, you've now pedaled back from "one hell of a centre back" to "take him any day over Willo, marrah!"

:lol:

Anyways, nobody is saying he's not better than Willo, all we took exception to was the aggrandizement of his supposed potential. At least personally-speaking, I reserve adjectives like "one hell of..." for special players who have shown something extraordinary or above average.

Like I said, if he carves out a decent career as a regularly-starting premier league CB, he and most of the fans will be pleased with how his career would've panned out.

Currently even that is looking unlikely.

And take your name calling somewhere else as nobody was being aggressive or defensive in this discussion.