Sunderland

Kaizero

Will Sunderland Be Promoted from LEAGUE ONE? 0 = No chance 10 = Definitely  

643 members have voted

1. 1. Will Sunderland Be Promoted from LEAGUE ONE? 0 = No chance 10 = Definitely

This poll is closed to new votes

Sunderland’s Academy and set up can’t be at the level it was a few short years ago. They’re not exactly flush with cash, good luck with your choice.

Standard of coaching/facilities won’t have changed much at that level surely? I’m in no doubt it has higher up the ages though. Either way, we are treating it just as an extra bit of training. He started Futsal 2 weeks back and was quickly moved up to an older age/advanced level group and the standard of coaching, sessions and talent among the kids is some of the best I’ve seen/experienced so it will be good to gauge what the pro level standard is like against that for example which is essentially a franchise ran by two young lads with a mix of kids girls and boys varying in ages and ability but all equally skilful. Future of our game in England may just be getting even more healthier.

There’s a quote from Methven about the loan they’ve just taken “The money will be used largely to improve various things around the club. Some of it might sound very uninteresting, but we believe they're important. Fixing the speakers at the Stadium of Light, for example, or the lift at the Academy of Light is broken and needs fixing. These are quite significant payments to make, and this new investment will help that"

They’re scrimping and saving all over the place and are clearly struggling with running costs. Nufc need heavy investment in their youth set up to be where it really should be but it should stable. It’s a difficult choice. If Sunderland don’t get promoted the consequences will be felt at all levels.

Doesn’t read well does it, as ever when owners fuck up, it’s the genuine people who suffer like staff, coaches and kids. That’s what I hate the most about NUFC because when it comes to NUFC vs SAFC and my boy and other Geordie kids, there should never be a choice between the two. Sadly it seems even if the people behind the scenes do care so much, the club itself doesn’t give a fuck one way or another which is seen at every level of the club, none morse so than senior/first team level.

Rafa could have relegated us last year and I’ll always respect and be grateful to the man for fighting for the good cause of all those people at the academy and training ground to make things bigger and better for them all, unlike the fucking owner.

A club like NUFC should never ever fail off the field, but it has and will continue to do as long as Ashley is around while our local rivals prosper and our local talent go elsewhere or end up not getting the best standard of coaching, training, facilities to train and learn. That will be the biggest lasting damage not a relegation or the sale of some land or getting knocked out of a cup.

Seriously, if NUFC come in for my kid, I’d tell them where to go. Not because of the coaches or poor facilities, but because the club does not give a fuck about any of that where as the likes of sunderland clearly do. I don’t want that kind of environment for my son as much as I don’t want to go and pay to watch the team under Steve Bruce surrounded by SD signs all-around while the owner and his cronies sit in their ivory towers grinning away laughing at all these mugs which is what we are or would be if we did go, if we sent our kids there or if we continued supporting this joke of a club who doesn’t even support the very people who keep it ducking going. From Rafa to joe bloggs in the canteen using a kettle to boil the players’ baths.

I would say Newcastle have had much more higher quality youngsters come through so your point being it large ‘ doesn’t really make sense when talking about Sunderland

Guest Howaythetoon

Sunderland’s Academy and set up can’t be at the level it was a few short years ago. They’re not exactly flush with cash, good luck with your choice.

Standard of coaching/facilities won’t have changed much at that level surely? I’m in no doubt it has higher up the ages though. Either way, we are treating it just as an extra bit of training. He started Futsal 2 weeks back and was quickly moved up to an older age/advanced level group and the standard of coaching, sessions and talent among the kids is some of the best I’ve seen/experienced so it will be good to gauge what the pro level standard is like against that for example which is essentially a franchise ran by two young lads with a mix of kids girls and boys varying in ages and ability but all equally skilful. Future of our game in England may just be getting even more healthier.

There’s a quote from Methven about the loan they’ve just taken “The money will be used largely to improve various things around the club. Some of it might sound very uninteresting, but we believe they're important. Fixing the speakers at the Stadium of Light, for example, or the lift at the Academy of Light is broken and needs fixing. These are quite significant payments to make, and this new investment will help that"

They’re scrimping and saving all over the place and are clearly struggling with running costs. Nufc need heavy investment in their youth set up to be where it really should be but it should stable. It’s a difficult choice. If Sunderland don’t get promoted the consequences will be felt at all levels.

Doesn’t read well does it, as ever when owners fuck up, it’s the genuine people who suffer like staff, coaches and kids. That’s what I hate the most about NUFC because when it comes to NUFC vs SAFC and my boy and other Geordie kids, there should never be a choice between the two. Sadly it seems even if the people behind the scenes do care so much, the club itself doesn’t give a fuck one way or another which is seen at every level of the club, none morse so than senior/first team level.

Rafa could have relegated us last year and I’ll always respect and be grateful to the man for fighting for the good cause of all those people at the academy and training ground to make things bigger and better for them all, unlike the fucking owner.

A club like NUFC should never ever fail off the field, but it has and will continue to do as long as Ashley is around while our local rivals prosper and our local talent go elsewhere or end up not getting the best standard of coaching, training, facilities to train and learn. That will be the biggest lasting damage not a relegation or the sale of some land or getting knocked out of a cup.

Seriously, if NUFC come in for my kid, I’d tell them where to go. Not because of the coaches or poor facilities, but because the club does not give a fuck about any of that where as the likes of sunderland clearly do. I don’t want that kind of environment for my son as much as I don’t want to go and pay to watch the team under Steve Bruce surrounded by SD signs all-around while the owner and his cronies sit in their ivory towers grinning away laughing at all these mugs which is what we are or would be if we did go, if we sent our kids there or if we continued supporting this joke of a club who doesn’t even support the very people who keep it ducking going. From Rafa to joe bloggs in the canteen using a kettle to boil the players’ baths.

I would say Newcastle have had much more higher quality youngsters come through so your point being it large ‘ doesn’t really make sense when talking about Sunderland

Pickford and Henderson vs who at NUFC exactly? It’s not about players coming through always as well, it’s about the standard of coaching, education, training, facilities etc. kids receive and at NUFC its way lower than at SAFC and has been for some time and will continue to be until more of a fuck is given towards it.

Pickford and Henderson vs who at NUFC exactly? It’s not about players coming through always as well, it’s about the standard of coaching, education, training, facilities etc. kids receive and at NUFC its way lower than at SAFC and has been for some time and will continue to be until more of a fuck is given towards it.

Carroll woodman Forster 2 longstaffs dummett Ferguson Krul nzogbia Vuckic shola kadar

My mates nephew (Kel Watts) has been at NUFC for over a Decade now and loves it. Think he's out on loan at Stevenage at the moment. My nephew is currently at Sunderland and is thinking about wrapping in (if he gets kept on) after Xmas as they are becoming far too demanding for a boy of his age (8).

Expecting him to go to school Monday-Friday then go down to the bottom end of the country on a Saturday for a tournament, then play in a game at the AOL on a sunday, thus preventing him from playing for his Sunday team with his mates. The team they discovered him at.

Guest Howaythetoon

Carroll woodman Forster 2 longstaffs dummett Ferguson Krul nzogbia Vuckic shola kadar

OK, so a few have come through, but the whole point is about the level of standard that kids receive when entering into an academy from every aspect. To be fair, I’ve not experienced neither so it’s unfair to judge NUFC against SAFC, but from countless testimony by parents and even youngsters there is a huge difference in quality between the two and that’s not even considering facilities.

As an example of what I’ve been told by someone whose kid has went to both, shooting drills, at NUFC if a kid’s technique isn’t right for the drill, the kid either gets it right eventually or doesn’t and that’s it. At Sunderland, they work to make sure the kid gets the technique right and if not, that’s not the end of things. I’ve heard the same story about passing drills, crossing, dribbling and one v ones.

With NUFC it’s about filtering out those who don’t have it to find those that do. It’s the same at SAFC but those that don’t, don’t make up the numbers to aid the ones that do, their development is just as key to the whole ethos and programme being operated at the club so everyone has the same development education.

I know parents with kids at NUFC whose kids get kept on because they are needed to make up the numbers while the more talented kids’ development take priority. These not so talented kids who should still receive the same standard of development and education get turned away ready for a new batch, rinse and repeat. A few years down the line out pops a Dummet or a Carol while hundreds get sent packing to whoever they used to play for which by that time, they are almost institutionalised and unable to perform or as is the case most, they never return to playing footy again because they no longer enjoy it or love the game.

It’s not the duty or right of any club to bring in kids to mould them into professionals, but to aid their development, skills, their experience and education equally so they all have the same chances to become better footballers and above else better educated.

Sadly that’s not the case at all at the majority of clubs and none more so if we are talking about the NE, than at NUFC, Carroll or no Carroll, Longstaffs or not.

Guest Howaythetoon

My mates nephew (Kel Watts) has been at NUFC for over a Decade now and loves it. Think he's out on loan at Stevenage at the moment. My nephew is currently at Sunderland and is thinking about wrapping in (if he gets kept on) after Xmas as they are becoming far too demanding for a boy of his age (8).

Expecting him to go to school Monday-Friday then go down to the bottom end of the country on a Saturday for a tournament, then play in a game at the AOL on a sunday, thus preventing him from playing for his Sunday team with his mates. The team they discovered him at.

I think a lot depends on the kids themselves and the parents in terms of their attitude as to enjoying/loving playing and training whether it’s a local grassroots club or NUFC itself. I know my boy if he had a penny floater to kick about on a dog shit laden field he’d be happy as larry, again I’ve not experienced either set up so shouldn’t be judging both one way or the other.

I’m just very sceptical when it comes to academies and kids’ football. As great that it is my son has a team he plays for, trains with them, has coaches coaching him, can join up to play Futsal or footy camps and even train at a professional football club’s academy, it’s all a bit too designed to churn out a superstar and when it comes to kids playing footy, there is nothing better than playing freely, with no coaches or adults or rules or drills or 4g pitches or cones.

I’m with Wenger when he says the best coach is the game itself and the best system is kids playing freely. We did as kids and nothing compared, nothing could make us more happy, more full of joy and doing something more fun, more exciting, than a kick about with mates anywhere, anytime, with anyone. My son will never truly get to experience that in the way we would never experience what he does, I know what I’d pick every time though.

Regarding my own son, of course you want him to be a footballer, to play for the Toon and England, but what I want the most for my boy is to be able to enjoy playing footy for the sheer fun of it as a childhood thing without any conditions us adults put up in their was as obstacles interfering with their play/game time which we do in order to satisfy our own dreams and hopes they might just go on and make it because we didn’t, but boy did we dream the dream when we were kids playing headers and volleys, Wembley, gates, singles and doubles in the street or at school with our mates.

If I had money to burn I’d set up a youth club where kids could come and play just for the fun of playing, no coaching, no cones, no right backs or strikers, just kids and a ball, on a bit of ground, for an hour or so, having a kick about, girls and boys, 5 year olds and 8 year olds, fat kids or skinny kids, in a safe environment where the game is the coach, where they learn by playing and if they don’t, who cares if John can’t shoot straight to save his life or if Claire is a girl playing with boys or if one kid is greedy and wants to take everyone on. That kid when we were kids either got kicked, stopped getting passed to, learned to pass or if you’re me as a kid who was shit, I’d be grateful being on the same side so we stood a better chance of winning.

Not that anyone kept count, it always ended in last goal the winner or pens. Even today as adults, when we play on a Tuesday 5/6/7 aside, last goal the winner is the final whistle.

Talented players will always come through and finally we are starting to see some positives from academies and such in the form of the number of technically talented youngsters coming through, but the negative side of that is a whole host of players who are identikit players, extremely average but physically and technically of a decent standard. I wonder how many future Gazzas, Waddles, Beardsleys, Shearers and Keegans even will get lost or left behind. Gazza himself says he wouldn’t make it today and KK pondered the same.

Going back to my own son, when he’s at training with his team and they put on a free for all 20 minute 5 aside game at the end where x 5 year old decides where he wants to play or not or whether to dribble, pass or shoot or not, free of any obstacles every one of them, well, what a joy to watch, what fun they have, what freedom to express themselves they suddenly accept and take up. The result is kids trying tricks, dribbles, lobs, even cross bar challenges as is a particular fun thing my own son likes to do. The coaches have to do what they do and they do need to look up, pass etc. because they are in a team that demands they get better at that and do the right thing, but when it’s left all to them, there is no right or wrong way. If you want to try and lob the keeper instead of smashing it in, or go in goal even though the other kid is much better, you do what you want kid, it’s your game, not ours!

When it’s time you’re being paid to play as your job, then you do what your coach tells you, what is right and if you can’t do it well or as good as someone else, that’s life, work harder or do something else!

I have had first hand experience of both Newcastle and Sunderland academies and the first thing I'd say is it's nothing more than a myth that Sunderland is, or recently was, superior in any way.

They were different, both good in some ways but both probably behind the bigger clubs in the NW for example.

Newcastle's is decent, despite what a lot of uninformed people say, but being in the NE means that due to population there are fewer kids in the available pool than there are in the NW, SE or Midlands for example.

There again how many Premier league clubs have had two young homegrown players make up their centre midfield pairing in recent years ?

There are kids from Wearside at Newcastle and vica versa so supporting either club is of no consequence at all.

Currently Newcastle's is way ahead and has a far better pool of talent. When Sunderland's ownership changed every possible overhead was slashed and their academy really suffered. People sacked, contacts severed and a lot of their better kids going elsewhere.

Ethically the academy system is questionable across football in general. Nowadays when they bring in youngsters from around the world at a later age very few will ever make it and parents need to be sensible and not build up their own or their kid's hopes too much. If one player is identified as having the potential to make it they will design a team around him in the almost certain knowledge that none of the others will be kept on.

Tbf to NUFC, this season we've had Dummet, S.Longstaff, M.Longstaff and Carroll all in our first team, in the Premier League this season. If the bairns are good enough they'll make it anyway. Certainly at anything under 16 age they are more concerned about playing football and enjoying it more than anything else.

Anyway, Gillingham away in an FA Cup first round replay, playing for the privilege of a home tie with AFC Wimbledon in the next round, where if they get through they'll probably only bother opening up one stand again. That is where they are at.

It will take a while for anything concrete to come of it, and Ashley is unlikely to release the cash to make it a success (bizarre given the risk reward potential), but we did hire Sunderland's head coach (Mark Atkinson) for our academy back in the summer.

It must stick in their throats that while they languish mid table in league one and having to play in the 1st round of the FA cup in a sparse stadium, their neighbours with an owner who is anti progress and couldn't give a f**k are only 2 points off 5th in the top tier. We're not even trying man.

i've always wondered about these famed academies from sunderland and middlesbrough - for all the fanfare they get/got do they genuinely produce any more top level players than we have over the years, even the horrendous ashley years?

i'm not and have never been convinced they have

It must stick in their throats that while they languish mid table in league one and having to play in the 1st round of the FA cup in a sparse stadium, their neighbours with an owner who is anti progress and couldn't give a f**k are only 2 points off 5th in the top tier. We're not even trying man.

Imagine the roles were reversed. Can you imagine what they'd be like. We seen how bad they were when we got relegated from the premier league and that out of this world happiness for them. Just fucking imagine we were where they are right now...

i've always wondered about these famed academies from sunderland and middlesbrough - for all the fanfare they get/got do they genuinely produce any more top level players than we have over the years, even the horrendous ashley years?

Well Middlesbrough have produced uh.... oh aye, that nonce. Can't recall anyone else really.

Well Middlesbrough have produced uh.... oh aye, that nonce. Can't recall anyone else really.

Stewart Downing, Adam Johnson, Stuart Parnaby, David Wheater, James Morrison, Lee Cattermole, Danny Graham, Jason Steele, Ben Gibson, Adam Reach and George Friend have all gone on to play a fair few games in the PL/Football League.

What've we got? Marcus Maddison, Sammy Ameobi, Fraser Forster and Adam Armstrong? We've had players feature for our first team - Adam Campbell, Michael Richardson and Callum Roberts - who have dropped off the radar completely.

Stewart Downing, Adam Johnson, Stuart Parnaby, David Wheater, James Morrison, Lee Cattermole, Danny Graham, Jason Steele, Ben Gibson, Adam Reach and George Friend have all gone on to play a fair few games in the PL/Football League.

What've we got? Marcus Maddison, Sammy Ameobi, Fraser Forster and Adam Armstrong? We've had players feature for our first team - Adam Campbell, Michael Richardson and Callum Roberts - who have dropped off the radar completely.

We've literally got Dummet,  2 Longstaffs and Carroll in our first team at present!