Michael Owen (now retired)

Keefaz

One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?  

648 members have voted

1. 1. One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?

• I envy the deaf.

Just as a sideline, I can remember some expert in biomechanics saying, at an early stage in Owen's career, that there was something in his running style that would make him vulnerable to muscle strains. The guy was offering his services to Owen to help him correct this fault.

The paper where this was reported was mocking this guy as some kind of quack. Sports science is advancing all the time, and I'm sure he'd be taken a lot more seriously now.

Guest Howaythetoon

Ironically Rafa would have been great for him in terms of his injuries, I believe the extent of Rafa’s research into injury prevention, recovery and treatment even went as far as how things like unhealthy teeth/gums can effect the spine, back muscles etc. I’m sure he banned ice cream and wine gums from players’ diets ha ha.

Owen has since claimed a lot of his injuries were simply down to the body he was born with and a natural consequence just like his pace which he could do nothing about. He did work hard on his injuries though and I imagine it must have been so frustrating for him and at times mentally demoralising and soul destroying.

I believe all injuries are not some natural consequence of the body, but how the body reacts or not to any physical demands placed on it and for Owen I believe that natural pace of his by the time he started warming up and training properly as an adult, they had already been hammered badly by the demands on them during all the years playing as a kid. Had they been looked after better they would have stood up more to any resistance than they eventually did later on in his career.

How do you manage a kid’s muscles/fitness etc. when they are young. You’d almost need a crystal ball to determine a kid like Owen and his muscles etc will need some extra special care. I think some kids play too much and in Owen’s case, the number of games he played as a teenager at the level he did and the subsequent demands on his body was definitely a major factor that contributed to his injuries and later ability to recover or manage them.

Ironically Rafa would have been great for him in terms of his injuries, I believe the extent of Rafa’s research into injury prevention, recovery and treatment even went as far as how things like unhealthy teeth/gums can effect the spine, back muscles etc. I’m sure he banned ice cream and wine gums from players’ diets ha ha.

Owen has since claimed a lot of his injuries were simply down to the body he was born with and a natural consequence just like his pace which he could do nothing about. He did work hard on his injuries though and I imagine it must have been so frustrating for him and at times mentally demoralising and soul destroying.

I believe all injuries are not some natural consequence of the body, but how the body reacts or not to any physical demands placed on it and for Owen I believe that natural pace of his by the time he started warming up and training properly as an adult, they had already been hammered badly by the demands on them during all the years playing as a kid. Had they been looked after better they would have stood up more to any resistance than they eventually did later on in his career.

How do you manage a kid’s muscles/fitness etc. when they are young. You’d almost need a crystal ball to determine a kid like Owen and his muscles etc will need some extra special care. I think some kids play too much and in Owen’s case, the number of games he played as a teenager at the level he did and the subsequent demands on his body was definitely a major factor that contributed to his injuries and later ability to recover or manage them.

There’s merit to this. I hesitate to admit this here, but I share something with Michael Owen - posture-related hamstring strains. I remember being dismayed when a doctor tried to explain it to me, and he pretty much led with “Do you know Michael Owen?”

:milner:

There’s merit to this. I hesitate to admit this here, but I share something with Michael Owen - posture-related hamstring strains. I remember being dismayed when a doctor tried to explain it to me, and he pretty much led with “Do you know Michael Owen?”

Have you considered consulting an Alexander therapist? The Alexander Technique is about identifying habits of movement and posture that create problems, and forming exercises to deal with them.

Fuck, that was unusually short.

Guest Howaythetoon

Fuck, that was unusually short.

Felt a tightness in my wrist so as a precaution I took a rest from writing more incase.... ah fuck!

Think I’ve pulled something!

Have you considered consulting an Alexander therapist? The Alexander Technique is about identifying habits of movement and posture that create problems, and forming exercises to deal with them.

Thanks for your thoughts, but I’m so old and decrepit that I’d probably tear a hammy rushing to catch a bus.

Just as a sideline, I can remember some expert in biomechanics saying, at an early stage in Owen's career, that there was something in his running style that would make him vulnerable to muscle strains. The guy was offering his services to Owen to help him correct this fault.

The paper where this was reported was mocking this guy as some kind of quack. Sports science is advancing all the time, and I'm sure he'd be taken a lot more seriously now.

That's interesting. He did have an unusual style forsomeone who could run so fast.

This little runt is live on TalkSport at 8am if anyone fancies turning up at work in an even worse mood than they are already in. Think Allardyce is in the studio at the same time too :anguish:/ :lol:

This little runt is live on TalkSport at 8am if anyone fancies turning up at work in an even worse mood than they are already in. Think Allardyce is in the studio at the same time too :anguish:/ :lol:

Did it create a twat singularity that sucked them all in never to be seen again? Please?

Unfortunately hippo heed and Brazil’s heads have entered into a symbiotic orbit and become a binary star rather than a singularity. Hopefully they’ll go supernova and annihilate themselves soon, taking Owen and his brochure with them. 

At least with Owen I get the sense that you could at least try to open his eyes to stuff, his head is so empty there's lots of potential for adjustment.

Pardew though, he's got bullshit ejaculating from every orifice. The no violence caveat purely swings it to Owen for me.

• 2 weeks later...