Hatem Ben Arfa (still a free agent)

Dave

That's amazing :lol:

I really wish he'd had a role model or a mentor. Watching his early footage and reading up on his troubles, he was the typical outsider kid crying out for a successful role model who understood him. With even one coach who "got" him, he would've worked wonders in this sport (more so than he already has). Too bad we won't be able to watch him play this year.

That's amazing :lol:

I really wish he'd had a role model or a mentor. Watching his early footage and reading up on his troubles, he was the typical outsider kid crying out for a successful role model who understood him. With even one coach who "got" him, he would've worked wonders in this sport (more so than he already has). Too bad we won't be able to watch him play this year.

Yeah I agree, I'm sure I read a quote about his relationship with his dad. Yeahm here:

id terrible things during my career, which weren't normal or morally good," he said in a long and open interview with L'Equipe on Monday. "It happened everywhere I went, in Clairefontaine, in Lyon. Since I was very small I've been very impulsive, I fought all the time.

"It is true that my father never told me that he loved me. Such generosity has been lacking in my life," Ben Arfa, the son of Tunisian immigrants in France, added.

The 24-year-old also reveals that several of his former coaches were afraid of him. "They didn't dare talk to me," he says. "It was like this with coaches and with everyone. It was because of my attitude. When I realised that, I changed. I opened up. I work a lot on this part of my personality because I have to."

Holy crap. Makes me want to hug and marry him even more. :(

• 1 month later...

He made those bleak Pardew times worthy of a match ticket. Made football fun to watch and was worthy of a place in any of our best teams through the ages. Bit of a stretch but we could have won the league back in "that season" with him there under Keegan.