Athletico Mince

Si

The names he comes up with on would I lie to you are brilliant.  And they all turn out to be real people.

Steve Bytheway, Harry Harryman

Bob: "There was Gary Cheeseman, we called him 'Cheesy' cos his mam gave him slices of cheese, cos she thought it was good for his spots"

Lee Mack: "Surely its because his name was Cheeseman?"

Bob: "No..."

I'd be interested to know how it translates abroad as it's really fucking niche at times.

I think you need to have grown up with Vic and Bob to get them.  I've made a couple of Americans watch Shooting Stars and they just looked bewildered.

Seems to be the general reaction!

Bob is great. What I think makes him great is that sense of anger that underpins much of what he does. All too often anger in comedy manifests as a trite assault on some political figurehead (c.f. every panel show on tv). However, with Bob the attack isn't against the symptom (the political) but the ground of the genesis of these symptoms - the societies in which they flourish. Underneath his work you find a constant despair at the pettiness, vanity, and avarice that plagues the human condition.

The psychoanalyst Lacan called this standpoint the discourse of analyst, the ability to see beyond the system by which ephemeral meaning is created and assigned by society. Occupying the position of the analyst is characterised by a cruel, cynical  type of humour that often borders on condescension, and a sort of disdain for the desires of others (the structure of which the analyst has some insight into, though they remain opaque for others), whenever they are made explicit. I think you can see this in a lot of Bob’s work, and particularly in Mince.

Bob is great. What I think makes him great is that sense of anger that underpins much of what he does. All too often anger in comedy manifests as a trite assault on some political figurehead (c.f. every panel show on tv). However, with Bob the attack isn't against the symptom (the political) but the ground of the genesis of these symptoms - the societies in which they flourish. Underneath his work you find a constant despair at the pettiness, vanity, and avarice that plagues the human condition.

The psychoanalyst Lacan called this standpoint the discourse of analyst, the ability to see beyond the system by which ephemeral meaning is created and assigned by society. Occupying the position of the analyst is characterised by a cruel, cynical  type of humour that often borders on condescension, and a sort of disdain for the desires of others (the structure of which the analyst has some insight into, though they remain opaque for others), whenever they are made explicit. I think you can see this in a lot of Bob’s work, and particularly in Mince.

Agreed. He also says dog dirt which is really funny.

Think the "'Can I borrow Batman Forever?' 'No, you have to bring it back tomorrow'" Beardsley joke is the most unreasonably funny thing I've ever laughed at like, no idea why it cracked me up so much. [emoji38]

Yeah that was incredible  [emoji38]  [emoji38]

I was never a massive fan of Shooting Stars, but I think Bob Mortimer is amazing on things like Would I Lie to You.  That hour long clip is just brilliant.

shooting stars was 100% about the quality of the little clip segments imo, could take or leave most of the rest of it

• 4 weeks later...