Andy Carroll (now playing for Amiens SC)

Rich

I'm not in the business of championing our transfer policy - ins or outs - but I've not seen sufficient evidence to conclude that he was forced into handing in a transfer request. He and the club both chased the money.

Guest firetotheworks

I'm not in the business of championing our transfer policy - ins or outs - but I've not seen sufficient evidence to conclude that he was forced into handing in a transfer request. He and the club both chased the money.

He's said that he was. Lambias has also been quoted as telling the story in a completely different way as to what was presented at the time. Then there's the way that Barton and Santon's transfers have been revealed. Sure there are others that don't come to mind at the moment. I think Carroll was either naive or talked into it, but I don't believe for a second that it was him pushing for a move, not now anyway.

He wanted to leave and the club were happy to cash in on him for such a mental fee.

I just find the notion that poor Andy was forced into signing that 90 grand a week contract at Liverpool utterly ridiculous.

Yeah, he wasn't out of form at all although I'm sure we'll soon hear otherwise.

Biggest example of a 12 month purple patch turning into a huge transfer that there is.

At the time the fee was about right. He was an unstoppable force leaving on deadline day with a huge premium. Take away his injuries and he'd be one of the best goal scorers in the league. However  in hindsight he's a wreck, did we see that coming? No idea, if we did then we kudos, if not we got very lucky.

Both the club and the player took the best offer going, tbh it left me heart broken either would act like that. That transfer was probably the beginning of the end of my time as a real supporter of the club. It broke me, more so than Cole to manure.

I honestly don't believe even without the injuries that the way he was playing was sustainable. There has many strikers who have had a good 20 or so games then fallen off the face of the planet.

I don't think there's anything to suggest he would have been one of the best goalscorers in the league, hell during that period he had 10 in 19 not exactly amazing. There was many other things that stood out.

That's not say that I think he would basically been another Michu or whatever, far from it actually but that level of general performance would have dropped quite a bit in my view even if he'd still played at a very high level.

Guest John Carvery

Can remember them Llambias quotes, "Liverpool were late with a payment, and Moik charged 'em £xk fackin' interest!" like it was something for us to hang our hat on. :anguish:

moik

:lol:

Guest John Carvery

Yeah, he wasn't out of form at all although I'm sure we'll soon hear otherwise.

Biggest example of a 12 month purple patch turning into a huge transfer that there is.

At the time the fee was about right. He was an unstoppable force leaving on deadline day with a huge premium. Take away his injuries and he'd be one of the best goal scorers in the league. However  in hindsight he's a wreck, did we see that coming? No idea, if we did then we kudos, if not we got very lucky.

Both the club and the player took the best offer going, tbh it left me heart broken either would act like that. That transfer was probably the beginning of the end of my time as a real supporter of the club. It broke me, more so than Cole to manure.

On the other hand he only had 6 months premier league experience iirc and was a bit of a toad off the field. I would have thought 20 would be a fair value.