Andy Carroll (now playing for Amiens SC)

Rich

I was livid/heartbroken.

I remember being and people started saying he was off, i was in total denial saying there's no way he'd go. Gradually throughout the day it looked more and more likely. By the end of the day I lost total faith in any footballer having any ounce of loyalty

Think Ferguson was a lot more of an intelligent player and less of the battering ram that Caroll is.

Carroll was infinitely more than just a battering ram, when he played for us. Many people, including myself, were gutted that we accepted that £35m. In hindsight it was the right decision, but in the intervening years a lot of people seem to have forgotten just how good he was back then.

He wasn't as intelligent as Ferguson when it came to holding up the ball and laying it off for people. The amount of times he would just head the ball into nowhere was quite high.

He was undoubtedly good but half his magical year was in the best team by some distance in the Championship and he got dropped for Shola because he was doing so badly at one point in the PL.

I wouldn't have sold him fwiw. No point at all in doing so when he'd have kept us up comfortably and we'd have had a real figurehead for the next 10+ years.

He was undoubtedly good but half his magical year was in the best team by some distance in the Championship and he got dropped for Shola because he was doing so badly at one point in the PL.

I wouldn't have sold him fwiw. No point at all in doing so when he'd have kept us up comfortably and we'd have had a real figurehead for the next 10+ years.

Given how much of a crock he is we did the right thing selling him despite it not appearing to be the correct decision at the time.

The real issue is how poorly we handled reinvesting the money into the team.

I was really disappointed at the time. A Geordie number 9, sold to Liverpool. It was gutting.

With hindsight, what a deal but the money received has been drip feed back into the club, so what was the point?

I was really disappointed at the time. A Geordie number 9, sold to Liverpool. It was gutting.

With hindsight, what a deal but the money received has been drip feed back into the club, so what was the point?

Well had we kept him we'd currently have a total waster on the payroll and minus £35m worth of the current squad, I mean considering they only seem to spend what we bring in from player sales.

Was thinking about the Ferugson parallel yesterday. Carroll has talent, but seems beset by bad luck. I think we'll see him back here at some point, but it'll be on a last year of his contract/free jpb.

Is he as big a piss-head that seems to be being suggested?

Was thinking about the Ferugson parallel yesterday. Carroll has talent, but seems beset by bad luck. I think we'll see him back here at some point, but it'll be on a last year of his contract/free jpb.

Hardly when you consider his attitude to treating his body like an elite athlete should.

Hardly when you consider his attitude to treating his body like an elite athlete should.

Unlike hatem.

Guest firetotheworks

Fwiw the £35m was never about the player's worth or potential to me. It was that there was a price on something we all considered priceless-a local lad playing out of his skin as a Newcastle number 9. That was what it was valued at and it felt and still feels cheap.

Well had we kept him we'd currently have a total waster on the payroll

Bit simplistic.  How do you know that would have happened?

Fwiw the £35m was never about the player's worth or potential to me. It was that there was a price on something we all considered priceless-a local lad playing out of his skin as a Newcastle number 9. That was what it was valued at and it felt and still feels cheap.

Aye, that's basically why I wouldn't have sold him. It would have been far more fun to gamble on Carroll being our main man for ages.

But with some of the money we got Ba (sold at £7m profit :fwap:), Cabaye (sold at £15m profit :fwap:), Santon (has stagnated but we might get our money back one day :fwap:), Marveaux (now out on loan, not paying him any wages :fwap:).  And, erm, Obertan and Cisse.

Think Ferguson was a lot more of an intelligent player and less of the battering ram that Caroll is.

Carroll was infinitely more than just a battering ram, when he played for us. Many people, including myself, were gutted that we accepted that £35m. In hindsight it was the right decision, but in the intervening years a lot of people seem to have forgotten just how good he was back then.

He wasn't as intelligent as Ferguson when it came to holding up the ball and laying it off for people. The amount of times he would just head the ball into nowhere was quite high.

Neither was Ferguson at 22 or 23 tbf. That would've come with experience.

Aye, people forget that Shola played and he was 'rested' for the Man City away game where Ben Arfa was done by De Jong.

Well had we kept him we'd currently have a total waster on the payroll

Bit simplistic.  How do you know that would have happened?

Can't be 100% certain but I can only go on what I've seen, its not as if he didn't have injuries before Liverpool/West Ham either.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

Wasn't ferguson in prison at this point in his career for nutting that Dundee United player?

• 1 month later...