Transfer rumours

Yorkie

Think .com have got it just about bang on tbh. If he leaves then he'll need to be replaced which presumably means a transfer fee and a substantial wage based on a 3 or 4 year contract. Why not just offer the (promising, young and local) lad a better deal and develop him. If he turns out to be a solid PL player then it's a win, if he doesn't develop quite as much he can be sold to a lower league for a decent fee which will compensate for his wages while we found out. It's the fact the club appear to be using his loyalty as a local lad and fan to lowball him a bit in the hope he'll sign. We've seen it time and again trying to sign players and now it's the same tactic to retain them too. £15k a week in the grand scheme of things is tiny, don't care how old he is. I'm guessing it would put him in the lowest 5% of PL players.

Yeah but Klopp hasn’t bid for him so all that is irrelevant.

Agreed. Not sure why KDT brought top class managers into it in the first place.

He was clearly talking about if one came here and had chance to develop him (Working with that you’ve got) then there would be a greater chance to improve, you brought up others top class managers buying him, which I’ve still no idea why.

It's an absolutely dense move to let him go, and a real shame for him that he might miss out on a very successful period for the club.

That said, sure he'll have a great time in Italy and develop as a player. As always, we lose the most.

If we get taken over and these Saudis are as serious as they sound about making us a force, Matty wouldn't be apart of it.

Why not? If Bruce is peddled and a top class manager with a top class coaching staff comes in why wouldn't he be able to improve?

He's a decent player. That's it. There's room for improvement for sure.

Why aren't top class managers in for him now if he's available for buttons?

Legally they weren’t allowed to speak to him until the start of this week.

Foreign clubs can speak to players six months before their contract expires.

Think .com have got it just about bang on tbh. If he leaves then he'll need to be replaced which presumably means a transfer fee and a substantial wage based on a 3 or 4 year contract. Why not just offer the (promising, young and local) lad a better deal and develop him. If he turns out to be a solid PL player then it's a win, if he doesn't develop quite as much he can be sold to a lower league for a decent fee which will compensate for his wages while we found out. It's the fact the club appear to be using his loyalty as a local lad and fan to lowball him a bit in the hope he'll sign. We've seen it time and again trying to sign players and now it's the same tactic to retain them too. £15k a week in the grand scheme of things is tiny, don't care how old he is. I'm guessing it would put him in the lowest 5% of PL players.

Yeah but Klopp hasn’t bid for him so all that is irrelevant.

Agreed. Not sure why KDT brought top class managers into it in the first place.

He was clearly talking about if one came here and had chance to develop him (Working with that you’ve got) then there would be a greater chance to improve, you brought up others top class managers buying him, which I’ve still no idea why.

If a top class manager came here it'd be because there was money to spend. And if so, then Matty - along with the rest of the squad - are very much replaceable.

Matty is a decent player. There's room for improvement for sure (not sure why this opinion upsets you).

We've offered him £15k a week which I don't think is an insulting offer for someone who's only started 6 league games. Udinese have doubled that, fair enough. If he wants to go there good luck to him.

If & when this takeover goes through Matty Longstaff will be nowt more than a distant memory if we start chucking money about on much better players.

It's really nothing to get upset over.

If he can parlay that into a transfer to Juve in a few years followed by a late-career move to Botafogo, the third eye will open and the mysteries of the universe will be revealed.

If Udinese can afford 30k a week then surely we can? Even if he doesn't turn out that great, surely we could sell him on in a year to a championship club? I'm assuming that's the logic Udinese are using to offer him a 5 year contract.

It's an absolutely dense move to let him go, and a real shame for him that he might miss out on a very successful period for the club.

That said, sure he'll have a great time in Italy and develop as a player. As always, we lose the most.

I doubt he’ll play a minute of football in Italy.

Why do you think that? Udinese are basically the Italian Newcastle. A couple of decent European jaunts back in the day but otherwise firmly a mid-table club that flirt with relegation often. He's not going to struggle for minutes assuming he doesn't have a massive collapse in form (and I'm aware he hasn't really played enough for anyone to be sure of his ability).

I doubt he’ll play a minute of football in Italy.

Why do you think that? Udinese are basically the Italian Newcastle. A couple of decent European jaunts back in the day but otherwise firmly a mid-table club that flirt with relegation often. He's not going to struggle for minutes assuming he doesn't have a massive collapse in form (and I'm aware he hasn't really played enough for anyone to be sure of his ability).

As I've already stated a couple of times he'll be loaned straight back to Watford and sold to them the season after. This is Watford gettibg around paying a bigger compo fee going English to English.

If Udinese can afford 30k a week then surely we can? Even if he doesn't turn out that great, surely we could sell him on in a year to a championship club? I'm assuming that's the logic Udinese are using to offer him a 5 year contract.

Of course we CAN! The point is, that we won’t/aren’t!

I can afford a gender reassignment, doesn't mean I should have one. I could spend it on penis enlargement.

You're a big enough penis as it is

;) (was coming)

Its quite a weird situation in that who is actually negotiating with him? Charnley still? Surprised Ashley would bother sanctioning it if he's on the way out

You'd think Ashley would just offer him what he wants if it's not gonna be his problem in a few weeks.

Its quite a weird situation in that who is actually negotiating with him? Charnley still? Surprised Ashley would bother sanctioning it if he's on the way out

You'd think Ashley would just offer him what he wants if it's not gonna be his problem in a few weeks.

Not really. Why would be bother if he's selling up?

One last eight-year contract?

Exactly.

Exactly.

Suspect there has been a freeze in expenditure above £x