England

Yorkie

Guest firetotheworks

Well yeah, if your FA lives by the sword of actively courting players with no real emotional attachment to the country, you and your FA die by the sword when they drop the bombshell that they were pretending to have a real emotional attachment the whole time.

Well yeah, if your FA lives by the sword of actively courting players with no real emotional attachment to the country, you and your FA die by the sword when they drop the bombshell that they were pretending to have a real emotional attachment the whole time.

Aye, I agree. I don't think any English born players should be put in Irish underage unless its an exceptional circumstance. Still think its a bit thick to kiss the badge and completely deny that you have any intention of changing to England when a few months later you switch allegiances to England

I mean no one living in the UK (save for NI) is really Irish are they?  It's a costume.

McGeady and McCarthy were born Scottish and picked us. In the past there were many English born people who felt Irish as the Irish tended to stick together in England with their own culture. Kevin Kilbane for example turned down England at underage level before Ireland had even contacted him about playing for Ireland as he felt Irish. Ciaran Clark was England u20 captain when he chose to play for Ireland instead

It was reported at the time that the main reason Grealish chose England was because his agent told him it would be better from a monetary standpoint for him in the long term

Guest firetotheworks

Yeah, it's definitely a shit move, just not that unexpected from someone that effectively switched his allegiance to Ireland in the first place. Kind of like saying it's shit that you were cheated on by someone who cheated on their ex to be with you in the first place. Like you say though, he's young and you're right, they shouldn't be in that position in the first place, but I suspect them being in that position where they'd feel guilty for switching is partly what the FAI bank on happening.

Guest alijmitchell

I mean no one living in the UK (save for NI) is really Irish are they?  It's a costume.

McGeady and McCarthy were born Scottish and picked us. In the past there were many English born people who felt Irish as the Irish tended to stick together in England with their own culture. Kevin Kilbane for example turned down England at underage level before Ireland had even contacted him about playing for Ireland as he felt Irish. Ciaran Clark was England u20 captain when he chose to play for Ireland instead

It was reported at the time that the main reason Grealish chose England was because his agent told him it would be better from a monetary standpoint for him in the long term

With McGeady - I'm pretty sure I've read that it was nothing to do with how 'Irish' he was, and that it was to do with being able to play at different age grades in youth that he couldn't in Scotland, plus the chance to play at tournaments etc. Probably also got something to do with the cloak or irishness some Celtic fans wear as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Tarkowski???

My thought exactly, how the fuck can that gimp get into any England team?  When we played Burnley the other week he looked very ordinary....

Not that I want him anywhere near the England squad but, Lascelles looks twice the player (and he's injured)....

Sorry, I should have elaborated.  What I meant to say was " how is Pickford in the squad".  Cause he is crap basically.

He did very well at our best tournament performance in 400 years. And the alternatives are not exactly world beaters.