Alan Shearer

Weznufc

You don't need to look far for an explanation. More Arsenal players than anyone else in an era utterly dominated by Man Utd. For instance if you give Bergkamp a shout then Cantona could be in there instead. You could easily have Beckham or Keane in the team as well, but at every turn they've opted for an Arsenal player instead. Shearer was just the best and if he isn't in any top premier league 11 just bin it as absolute nonsense.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

I reckon:

1. Schmeichel

2. G. Neville

3. A Cole

4. Vieira

5. Sol Campbell

6. Rio Ferdinand

7. Beckham

8. Roy Keane

9. Shearer

10. Henry

11. Ronaldo

Tbf I think having Bergkamp and Henry is probably the only acceptable forward line to have without Shearer in there.

I think Bergkamp's the most technically gifted player to have played in the Premier League and Henry is arguably the greatest player to have played in it.

Guest firetotheworks

Always need to have Cantona in there imo.

Schmeichel

G.Neville

Ferdinand

Terry

A.Cole

Ronaldo

Scholes

Vieira

Cantona

Shearer

Henry

Fuck the formation.

Surprised by the lack of Cantona like. The bloke was incredible.

I think he's arguably the most overrated player of the Premiership era.

Right place, right time and that but I think Bergkamp was a player who was at another level. Cantona has that cult of personality surrounding him though that Bergkamp doesn't.

Right place, right time and that but I think Bergkamp was a player who was at another level. Cantona has that cult of personality surrounding him though that Bergkamp doesn't.

Whereas Bergkamp was an utter snide sly cunt who I remember Darren Peacock enjoying one particularly feisty encounter with both digging each other off the ball while the play was at the other end of the field and the officials therefore weren't watching.

Guest Howaythetoon

Cantona may have had a brief great spell compared to others but you have to factor in just what he meant to that side and team and how important he was. He along with Schmeichael pretty much won them the league against us and he was the one man that was consistent at either creating goals, scoring them and performing in games, especially the big games. I wouldn't have him in my all-time XI though.

4-4-2 based on individual strengths and consistency I'd go with:

Schmeichel

G.Neville

Ferdinand

Campbell

A.Cole

Ronaldo

Vieira

Lampard

Giggs

Shearer

Henry

That side would be lethal like.

Guest Howaythetoon

I agree with you regarding Bergkamp, he is a class above the likes of Cantona who take away the cult of personality would be on a par with Le Tissier. Bergkamp was on another level and is easily one of the all-time Premier League greats. Had he been more selfish and played further forward he would have been a 20 + a season man, he certainly had the goal scoring ability as he could finish.

As a partnership it's probably hard to look beyond him and Henry, they dovetailed so well. Sometimes it's not always about statistics etc. it's about the aesthetics of play and those two were fucking dynamite on the pitch, often a level above everyone else, even players equally as good such as our own Shearer, Drogba at his height, Suarez etc.