Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)

Alby

Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)   

186 members have voted

1. 1. Have you / do you intend to pledge to the 1892 Pledge scheme orchestrated by the NUST?

• Yes
    • No

NUFC Trust

STATEMENT

Dear members,

During what is undoubtedly an incredibly difficult time we, the Newcastle United Supporters Trust, would firstly like to wish everyone the best of health and hope that members (who are able to) are doing all they can to keep themselves safe at home. We would also like to pay our respects to those essential workers who continue to protect lives and our economy on a daily basis.

Issues surrounding football right now are of little importance, in recent days there has been one topic in particular that has kept us busy and, despite added hurdles with regards to communication with the club, we continue to pursue our concerns with regards to Season Ticket payments.

Season Ticket holders who are on the 9 and 10-year deals are now into the period of paying for the 2020/21 season, with so much uncertainty about when it will actually start.

Supporters on these deals have two options, to pay annually or monthly. There is no difference in cost. Those who pay annually saw their lump sum payment taken on the 25th March, whereas those on monthly payment plans will see their payment taken on the 1st or the 15th of the month, depending on which date you selected.

Newcastle United are, as far as we understand, the only Premier League club that has taken payment for the 2020/21 season.

Most clubs in the Premier League have now postponed their renewal periods until a more certain time, others have frozen payments due to be taken for next season, both of which we see as the correct approach.

We called on the club to suspend payments on the 18th March and did not receive a response. As a matter of urgency, we contacted them again on the 23rd of March. We heard from the club on the 25th March that they would not be suspending or delaying payments, this being after the annual payment was taken from supporters.

We contacted the club again to request they reconsider their position and have outlined what we believe the club should be doing:

• Freeze all annual & monthly payments for the 2020/21 season until we have a confirmed start date. Offering fans who have already paid in full the option of a refund.

• Open up a support system to fans who pay annually and have entered difficulty due to the impact of COVID-19.

• Offer a guarantee that if we do not see another live game this season, fans receive a refund on a pro-rata basis based on the remaining home games with an option of a one-payment refund or a reduction in further payments.

• Season Ticket Holders not on the 9 and 10-year deals should be given a guarantee that no payment will be taken until a guaranteed plan of action for the resumption of football is in place.

Many fans will be able to continue paying as normal, but we do believe that Newcastle United should be doing more to ease the financial burden on supporters who currently find themselves in difficulty. Canceling your season ticket because of the financial impact of COVID-19 should not be an option during these times.

We will be continuing to press the club on this issue and we want to work with them to ensure we can find a positive solution. Newcastle United should not be the only football club in the Premier League that offers no support to their loyal fans.

We will always strive to protect the interests of our members and fan base.

Please look after yourself and your loved ones over the weeks and months ahead.

STAY HOME. PROTECT THE NHS. SAVE LIVES.

Guest Howaythetoon

Keep paying your ST money, save your club and owner, keep people in jobs.

Selfish bastards!

Guest neesy111

Keep paying your ST money, save your club and owner, keep people in jobs.

Selfish bastards!

This.

• 1 month later...

Is there any chance of NUST postponing this discussion about our new owners until we have been sold?

geordie_b[/member]  mentioned the organisers were expecting the sale to be complete before Monday. I know theres a possibility it could be announced Monday, but if not this just seems premature. Theres no real rush for this to take place surely?

This lot might actually be useful under new ownership if they gain any sort of influence with them. Their priorities suit a club with a decent ownership. Will never join them myself though, their continued support of Ashley will always leave a bitter taste in my mouth.

I haven’t always agreed with them, but I have to admit they are trying.

For the record Greg[/member] has done tremendous work in regards to trying too prevent the Strawberry land from gaining planning permission. Ultimately it failed and always was going too, our best hope was to delay it and hope someone would buy the club in time. Also if it was rejected, it is their understanding that the development would not go ahead as the developers wouldn’t not have had enough money to fund an appeal. NUST spent a lot of money on lawyers on this.

I also raised a concern about the female team. Since then the club have updated the webpage for the women’s team and engage more on social media with the female teams accounts. NUST also helped promote increasing spectators for the female team on international woman’s day, this actually happened to be the last match they played before the season was cancelled.

On top of this I know their intention is get it so those fans who gave up theirs season tickets under Ashley, will be given priority to get them back under the new owners, hopefully with loyalty points included.

This lot might actually be useful under new ownership if they gain any sort of influence with them. Their priorities suit a club with a decent ownership. Will never join them myself though, their continued support of Ashley will always leave a bitter taste in my mouth.

What continued support of Ashley?

NUST has been highly critical of Ashley, but did continue to represent those of its members that still attend games (majority). It is an organisation that represents its members nobody else. It has to operate in certain way in line with its constitute and rules, as a formally constructed and constituted organisation it has to operate in a certain way.

NUST was also responsible for establishment of some of the more recent protest movements.

Is there any chance of NUST postponing this discussion about our new owners until we have been sold?

geordie_b[/member]  mentioned the organisers were expecting the sale to be complete before Monday. I know theres a possibility it could be announced Monday, but if not this just seems premature. Theres no real rush for this to take place surely?

Dear Member,

Last week we were approached by Newcastle Central MP, and friend of the Trust, Chi Onwurah MP, to ask if we would jointly host a town hall discussion with George Caulkin on the prospective takeover of Newcastle United.

The event takes place on Monday 4th May at 7pm. It is a chance for fans to have their say on the prospective takeover. We will be represented by Board member Greg Tomlinson, who will set out the Trust's position. As you know, our recent member survey showed our members are overwhelmingly in favour of a takeover - with 97% of you responding positively. However, a number of members have also informed us they do have some concerns and caution about the prospective takeover.

We also hope the event will be live-streamed on YouTube and we will share the details on this on our social media channels if this is possible including a link to watch.

This is an opportunity to have your say, in the face of a constant attack from some of the national media, it is your chance to stand up and have your say. It is an opportunity to face up to some of the difficult questions being posed - and to have a grown-up and honest debate. If the takeover is confirmed, we can all say we, as fans move forward with our eyes wide open.

As a supporters Trust, our position is clear, and our constitution is clear, that we will seek to engage with the owner of Newcastle United, whoever that is, for the betterment of the fans.

As fans, we had no say when Mike Ashley bought Newcastle United, and we have no say in who he sells the club to. Yet we find ourselves under attack from some sections of the media for things that are far beyond our control as a fan base. It is important we all have our say and do not shy away from the debate.

We hope to see as many of you as possible at the online event on Monday.

All the best,

NUST Board

Guest reefatoon

Oohh an audio version of the takeover thread.

Agenda

1. Excitement

2. Doubt

3. Human rights

4. Amnesty

5. Bein

6. Richard Keys

7. Tea towels

8. R.E.M

9. It’s off

10. No it’s not

11. Fuck off

12. Close

Oohh an audio version of the takeover thread.

Agenda

1. Excitement

2. Doubt

3. Human rights

4. Amnesty

5. Bein

6. Richard Keys

7. Tea towels

8. R.E.M

9. It’s off

10. No it’s not

11. Fuck off

12. Close

Jesus!  I Know it's lockdown and all that but give this group a chance eh?  How about some positive vibes or feedback other than sarcastic comments such as these.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Why not tell what he responded?

Why should they? They aren’t in it for the limelight like other parties. They’ve raised concerns and have kept it private not to antagonise decision makers. It also builds trust for future communications. Literally doing the right thing, and the only party to have done so.  :lol:

I mean, I’m not even a member, but feel like joining based on the way they’ve handled this.

:lol:  tbf "Acknowledging our correspondence" could literally be anything from a detailed response to issues and points within it to getting a read receipt in outlook. The question really is do they give a toss about the contents.

:lol:  tbf "Acknowledging our correspondence" could literally be anything from a detailed response to issues and points within it to getting a read receipt in outlook. The question really is do they give a toss about the contents.

Dear NUST

My advice to you all, is to make sure your fridge works.

Best wishes

Richard Masters

The Premier League

Dear NUST

My advice to you all, is to make sure your fridge works.

Best wishes

Richard Masters

The Premier League

:lol: