U23s & Academy

Skirge

Oh, couple of other things:

Having never seen him before, Baheng is a beast...about as wide as he is tall...looks all power too.

Tavernier looked like he enjoyed getting forward and breaking down the right, seems to have a decent shot & cross on him.

I thought Inman & Donaldson struggled a bit as Vuckic offered f*** all defensively when we played 433. TBF that Vuckic out of the bubbling under lot  would be the lad I would have on the 1st team bench before others because I think he could make a difference offensively.

I remember when the reserve team was the main vehicle to bring medium / long term injured players back to full fitness. Players wouldn't even be considered for first team action til they'd put a solid 90 minutes in for the reserves. It seems now you're - injured - back in full training - playing (- invariably out injured again soon after, sometimes!)

How come squad players aren't regularly dropped to get 90 minutes under their belt? 

players are too important these days as they're worth so much. there are too many s*** kickers in reserve football to risk a £100k a week returning star striker getting injured again.

Utter rubbish,  there are no "s*** kickers" as you say in reserve football,  don't know why but ALL the clubs seem to have decided that the reserve league will be a kind of Under 21 league,  very few teams but senior players in for a run out and if an established player does get a game its normally when returning from injury, like Smith recently and Barton earlier.  Thats not a NUFC thing its what all the teams do.

Regarding todays match,  i can't believe we lost 3-0, didn't expect that and now blown our title chances,  after starting well we were a well beaten side, Inman & Vuckic started well and were running the game early but bit like the first team were let down by their final ball. 

First time i've seen the new lad Adjei play but first impresion wasn't good, he was quick but poor overall, Baheng has rarely impressed me and was poor again(i'll give him the benefit of the doubt as he's been out for a year tho), Ranger's poor form continued, did rattle the bar with a header late but think his attitude will be his downfall.  I do agree with Spence tho, Vuckic could be the one to watch, looks like he could be a decent player.

Guest The Libertine

I remember when the reserve team was the main vehicle to bring medium / long term injured players back to full fitness. Players wouldn't even be considered for first team action til they'd put a solid 90 minutes in for the reserves. It seems now you're - injured - back in full training - playing (- invariably out injured again soon after, sometimes!)

How come squad players aren't regularly dropped to get 90 minutes under their belt? 

players are too important these days as they're worth so much. there are too many s*** kickers in reserve football to risk a £100k a week returning star striker getting injured again.

Utter rubbish,  there are no "s*** kickers" as you say in reserve football

there's enough to make managers think twice about risking their multi million pound players. if they werent worried about injuries, why wouldnt managers play the "stars"?

there's enough to make managers think twice about risking their multi million pound players. if they werent worried about injuries, why wouldnt managers play the "stars"?

Have you been to watch any reserve game recently?? or read what i said about how clubs treat the premie reserve league?

Vuckic could be the one to watch, looks like he could be a decent player.

I think others would have to cover him but he looks like he could make things happen. What did you think of that ref today?

Haha, that ref and linesman (on the far side in first half) were camp as christmas, loved the hand signals :lol:

Vuckic could be the one to watch, looks like he could be a decent player.

I think others would have to cover him but he looks like he could make things happen. What did you think of that ref today?

Haha, that ref and linesman (on the far side in first half) were camp as christmas, loved the hand signals :lol:

ref wasn't very good, far too fussy, stopped the game from flowing with stopping the game constantly, giving us a free kick next to the corner flag when Taylor was ushering the ball out for a goal kick was a stange decision, never seen that given before, instead of taking a goal kick our keeper had to go right to the corner flag to take the free kick, i had visions of him duffing the kick and the ball going straight to a leeds player in and him rolling the ball into an empty net.

Obviously Vuckic is still young but the way he plays you could see him developing into a "number 10" playing behind the striker, kind of Beardsley role.

Guest The Libertine

Have you been to watch any reserve game recently?? or read what i said about how clubs treat the premie reserve league?

ive been to plenty of reserve matches over the years.

the rest of your last post started with "dont know why but" and i explained why. if players weren't worth so much these days (both in value and, in most cases, talent)  they'd probably play more reserve games when appropriate. most teams avoid playing their "stars" in there for that reason.

I talked to Sam Adjiei and he told me that Vuckic is miles better than any other player on the reserve and junior team. He was really impressed by the guy and said he was much much better then Nile Ranger. The question though is waht has happened to Nile? Has he lost it completely?

Guest Howaythetoon

The reserves are criminally neglected by most top-flight clubs these days. I'm sure in some players' contract no reserve football is a clause.

Since this is for youth teams, the under 14s and under 10s beat their Leeds counterparts 3-0 and 6-4 respectively today.

We actually have an under 10s? Didn't know that.

We have some youth teams younger than that.

Since this is for youth teams, the under 14s and under 10s beat their Leeds counterparts 3-0 and 6-4 respectively today.

We actually have an under 10s? Didn't know that.

We have some youth teams younger than that.

They're nominal names to be honest, barring maybe one or two exceptional young talents (most won't have discovered football 'properly' yet)

The under 14's have some really good players,  my nephew plays for Cramlington juniors and they played the academy last week in a friendly, NUFC beat Crammy 8-1,  the week before the beat Wallsend 9-0.  Wallsend and Crammy are at the top of their league and have some decent players but Crammy were battered, the goal they scored was from a lad who trains with the academy twice a week and NUFC wanted to play for them on the night.

On the way home my nephew said good job Remi wasn't playing, i asked who remi was and he said Remi Steele,  should be playing for under 14's but plays for the under 16's instead,  he maybe a player to keep an eye out for,  although plenty could happen to him between being 13 and 17-18 when he would make a break through towards reserve/1st team.

Dont understand how everyone can rave on about the quality of our U18's now when they cannot even compete with Sunderlands.

What a load of bollocks.

how

In what way can we not compete with Sunderland?

Dont understand how everyone can rave on about the quality of our U18's now when they cannot even compete with Sunderlands.

What a load of bollocks.

how

We are having a good season, 2nd in the academy league and 2nd in the reserve league,  both us and the mackems got to the quarters in the youth cup and came up against 2 of the best teams in the country, we were beaten 4-2 away at man city, thet were stuffed 4-0 or 4-1 at home to arsenal.  There wasn't much between the sides when the reserves won 2-1 away at Sunderland with a very young side.  Just as there was nothing between the sides when they beat us first game of the season.

The academy are away at Sunderland next week so we'll be able to tell.

What a load of bollocks.

how

We are having a good season, 2nd in the academy league and 2nd in the reserve league,  both us and the mackems got to the quarters in the youth cup and came up against 2 of the best teams in the country, we were beaten 4-2 away at man city, thet were stuffed 4-0 or 4-1 at home to arsenal.  There wasn't much between the sides when the reserves won 2-1 away at Sunderland with a very young side.  Just as there was nothing between the sides when they beat us first game of the season.

The academy are away at Sunderland next week so we'll be able to tell.

I know exactly how we are doing thanks and have been to a number of Academy games this season including the 4-2 defeat at Man City you talk about, I wanted Jayson to tell me how he thinks we can't compete with them.

Did we not actually beat them 3-1 earlier this season at Under 18 level?